Ford cargo tray and 18" wheels - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford cargo tray and 18" wheels

A few days after I picked up my new 2012 Platinum White Titanium I ordered the rubber Ford sub woofer cargo tray for my trunk. The tray came rolled up in a box for shipping with a notice that it woud recover after it warmed up and would then be perfect. When I installed the tray it didn't seem to fit well. I thought it was a matter of needing time to recover. But as it recovered it got worse. It was about 4 inches too long for the cargo area and would either bunch up behind the rear seats or hang way over the edge of the cargo opening where it covered the trunk lid latch.

I asked my Ford parts department to check the Ford part number. They did and confirmed it was the correct part. Thinking that this was a lapse in quality control I immediately emailed Ford Canada to advise them of a potential problem. Since Ford represents that their Genuine Ford Parts Fit Perfectly they potentially had a case of misrepresentation, a fairly serious matter. Ford Canada's response was to throw the dealer under the wheels of an F-350 by stating that it was the dealer's problem and that I should resolve it with them. Wow, this has to be Ford's best kept secret. Your Ford dealer, not Ford Motor Company, apparently makes their own Genuine Ford Parts in the back of the deal. Whodda thunk?

So here I am in a Mexican standoff, out $145 for cargo tray that doesn't fit and is useless to me. Ford Canada says "Not my job" and my dealer won't manufacture me a new tray that fits. So I sent a registered letter to Dianne Craig, CEO Ford Canada thinking that being a woman she would get on it asap. But I have never gotten so much as an acknowledgement. Does anyone at Ford give a crap? Is Quality is Job One just a good story with no substance?

A few minutes ago I read a thread that might explain my predicament. From what I understand the cargo area is higher in Foci with 18" wheels because of the full size spare. I knew it was raised but thought it was like this in all Foci. The result is that both the regular and subwoofer cargo trays are too long for the cargo area. The problem is that if this is the case Ford never bothered to tell anyone, an even worse case of misrepresentation.

At first I was shocked by the apparent lapse in quality control. Then I was annoyed by Ford's response, in essence "Quality is not our job". If I am right about the 18" wheels I am really upset because it turns out that it was Ford's problem all along and had nothing to do with my dealer. Someone please say it isn't so. I am ready to file a complaint against the Ford Motor Company, its officers and directors on behalf of every Focus owner with 18" wheels with the US FTC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
unfortunately, it is so. Like you read, there are threads about this. Many people are not happy. It is only an issue with the Ti with 18 inch wheels as far as I know. I bought the Ford cargo mat for my SEL sedan with subwoofer (I have 17 inch wheels with a donut spare) and the cargo mat fits absolutely perfectly.

Good luck with your fight, it is going to be an uphill battle for sure.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
timmytVA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102488
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray 5Dr Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 timmytVA Good Standing Member
Return it to the dealer and try Weathertech. May need to call them and see if this specific one for 2012 Focus Hatch with Sony and subwoofer fits Ti 18". I'm guessing the one you have is a little long where it fits against the seat back because the 18" Ti has a higher trunk floor which means it hits the seat back at a higher point in its recline angle.

Worth a shot though.

Tim
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

A little long? How about almost 4 inches? I really, really love my Focus Ti. And I glad to be buying North American cars again. But at the same time I am really, really upset that Ford doesn't seem to give a crap. I am embarrassed to say that for the most part customer service in Canada is a contradiction in terms. And Ford Canada is sooo Canadian. They rank near the bottom in terms of my life customer service (as in bad) experiences. Although my Ford dealer is excellent I have heard stories from friends who when they complained about an issue were told by their Ford dealer words to the effect that "Maybe you need to buy another make of car next time". Guess what? For the past 40 years that is exactly what North Americans have been doing. When we want QUALITY we buy German or Japanese cars. This sends a strong message that any person with an ounce of brains thinks North American cars are junk. This time I chose Ford. I hope I am not going to regret it.

For those who may not be aware of it, many corporations hire private contractors to 'monitor' social media and are even active on sites where they defuse complaints by posting positive comments. I call these ProSophs (professional sophists). In Canada, Ford's FaceBook site is managed by a private contractor under the Ford name with friendly staff who are listed as Ford employees. So you can bet that Ford is 'listening in' on these threads. But trying to contact Ford directly or get a response is like trying to get a visit with the pope.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
A little long? How about almost 4 inches? I really, really love my Focus Ti. And I glad to be buying North American cars again. But at the same time I am really, really upset that Ford doesn't seem to give a crap. I am embarrassed to say that for the most part customer service in Canada is a contradiction in terms. And Ford Canada is sooo Canadian. They rank near the bottom in terms of my life customer service (as in bad) experiences. Although my Ford dealer is excellent I have heard stories from friends who when they complained about an issue were told by their Ford dealer words to the effect that "Maybe you need to buy another make of car next time". Guess what? For the past 40 years that is exactly what North Americans have been doing. When we want QUALITY we buy German or Japanese cars. This sends a strong message that any person with an ounce of brains thinks North American cars are junk. This time I chose Ford. I hope I am not going to regret it.

For those who may not be aware of it, many corporations hire private contractors to 'monitor' social media and are even active on sites where they defuse complaints by posting positive comments. I call these ProSophs (professional sophists). In Canada, Ford's FaceBook site is managed by a private contractor under the Ford name with friendly staff who are listed as Ford employees. So you can bet that Ford is 'listening in' on these threads. But trying to contact Ford directly or get a response is like trying to get a visit with the pope.
There are Ford Representatives who monitor this site too! FordCustomerService, Thomas, is one of them. He helped me with a big issue I had with my Focus. Try to reach out to him and see what he can do. However since this is an accessory rather than a problem with the actual car, he may be limited in what he can do.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Being that I am on the Customer Service side of the Canada/US border and in the land of Nordstrom my chances of getting service have increased exponentially. While it is true that the cargo tray is an accessory it is still a Geniuine Ford Part and subject to Ford's representations (Quality, Perfect Fit etc). The US FTC started suing footwear makers earlier this year for making unsubstantiated claims. Reebok was first, then Sketchers. Vibram is getting sued as is the maker of a mouth guard. The amounts are not trivial ($25 to $40 million). But the negative effects on brand are worse. Ford didn't exclude Foci with 18" wheels and that makes them vulnerable to action by the FTC as far as I know.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Have you attempted opening a conversation with the folks on Ford Canada Facebook page?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

"Attempted" is an understatement. In case you don't know this already, the Ford Canada FaceBook page is managed by an indepentent media contractor. The friendly 'Ford Folks' who listen sympathetically then tell you they will get on it asap don't really work for Ford. In case you missed it, I sent a registered letter to Ford Canada CEO Dianne Craig bringing this issue to her attention. Months later I have not even gotten the courtesy of a reply. I work in the field of product innovation and development. When you don't pay attention to your customers you are dead. A great product with bad service is a bad product. Apparently Ford Canada doesn't get it. Not only would they not even make a token effort to assist me they would not help my local Ford parts department. Their position is that the fact that the cargo tray doesn't fit an 18" wheel Ti is not their problem. And Ford policy as I have been told is "No box for the part, no refund". Ya think I am pissed?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Is this the cargo tray you purchased?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
I asked my Ford parts department to check the Ford part number. They did and confirmed it was the correct part. Thinking that this was a lapse in quality control I immediately emailed Ford Canada to advise them of a potential problem. Since Ford represents that their Genuine Ford Parts Fit Perfectly they potentially had a case of misrepresentation, a fairly serious matter. Ford Canada's response was to throw the dealer under the wheels of an F-350 by stating that it was the dealer's problem and that I should resolve it with them. Wow, this has to be Ford's best kept secret. Your Ford dealer, not Ford Motor Company, apparently makes their own Genuine Ford Parts in the back of the deal. Whodda thunk?

So here I am in a Mexican standoff, out $145 for cargo tray that doesn't fit and is useless to me. Ford Canada says "Not my job" and my dealer won't manufacture me a new tray that fits. So I sent a registered letter to Dianne Craig, CEO Ford Canada thinking that being a woman she would get on it asap. But I have never gotten so much as an acknowledgement.
Who told you that women are better at following up on something?

I think it depends on the individual rather than just their gender.

Quote:
A few minutes ago I read a thread that might explain my predicament. From what I understand the cargo area is higher in Foci with 18" wheels because of the full size spare. I knew it was raised but thought it was like this in all Foci. The result is that both the regular and subwoofer cargo trays are too long for the cargo area. The problem is that if this is the case Ford never bothered to tell anyone, an even worse case of misrepresentation.

At first I was shocked by the apparent lapse in quality control. Then I was annoyed by Ford's response, in essence "Quality is not our job". If I am right about the 18" wheels I am really upset because it turns out that it was Ford's problem all along and had nothing to do with my dealer. Someone please say it isn't so. I am ready to file a complaint against the Ford Motor Company, its officers and directors on behalf of every Focus owner with 18" wheels with the US FTC.
Nothing to do with your dealer??? They could have informed you (their customer) of the obvious (the tray isn't going to fit properly with the full sized spare tire) and saved you from your big dilemma.

People aren't perfect. That's why it's better to do your homework (before purchasing anything) and be an informed consumer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks