Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ford Escape

13K views 71 replies 34 participants last post by  CourtneyNYC 
#1 ·
I'm not an SUV person, but the new 2013 Escapes are pretty sharp. Of course it's really more crossover than SUV since it uses a modified Focus chassis. Even looks like a Focus in it's exterior and interior design cues. The steering wheel and the gauge cluster to name a few is the same as the Focus. One color I really like is the green called Ginger ale. When I was vacationing in California in June, a guy at the hotel had a Escape rental in that color. The brochures and Fords website do not do the color justice as neither have the shade correctly as it looks in reality. If this color would've been available on the Focus, I would've chose it. Kinda ironic too that the 1.6L ecoboost is available in the escape but not on the Focus. Whats up with that Ford?

#3 ·
I got passed by a White one this afternoon. Good looking crossover, probably the best looking one on the market right now, I am a little biased though.

LOL!

#4 ·
looked at them last week while i was shopping for my new focus. Very sharp indeed, i think the back end looks a little funny, but the power liftgate is awesome! also there is more space in the back 1cu/ft with the seats up and 3cu/ft more with them folded. Hopefully this will be a homerun just like the first escape was

#8 ·
Let's be honest, while the styling of the previous-gen Escape was great when it debuted, it has since become long-in-the-tooth and in dire need of a re-vamp.

I think the new model looks great; though my g/f disagreed when we pulled up next to one of the road last weekend....to each their own I guess.

Hopefully the Focus will get the 1.6 ecoboost soon enough.

#10 ·
I just didn't like the Aztec styling, that's all.

As for the new Escape, I'm really torn on them. Going down the road, they are super like awesome. But last week I went to see them in person while getting my oil changed, and it just wasn't the same...I couldn't wrap my head around all of the angles. It seemed...over-angular. I did really like the interior, but it's difficult not to when you have the Focus...

#11 ·
I love the design but it really isn't all new. It is just a refreshed Ford Kuga.
I actually liked the design of the Azteks. One of the few who did. But it was expensive, underpowered, had poor build quality and ,at least from what I see at our shop, unreliable.

#14 ·
Kinda ironic too that the 1.6L ecoboost is available in the escape but not on the Focus. Whats up with that Ford?
They did not think Americans would like paying the extra cash for the option (or paying more for the whole car by making it standard). Americans don't drop cash on compacts like the Europeans. Your question should be: "What's up with that Americans?"

I actually recently recommended my parents look at the Escape and the dealership let them bring it back to the house for two days so they could think about it (salesman was off so they got an extra day). Well that means I made sure I was there to look it over and drive it!

The 1.6 and the DCT are absolutely a dream in that thing. Even with it being a heavier vehicle, it handles great, there is plenty of torque obviously, and I would say the DCT performed better than my dads DSG in his 2.0T Passat. The gearing seemed bang on the money. I don't think I've ever driven an auto where I didn't complain about it within 10 minutes.

I think the overall styling is great, but I will agree with some of you that they got confused at different parts of the car. Fake fender vents? Really? Let the local auto parts store corner the market on those.

I also noticed Ford is trying an interesting tactic. The packaging for the Escape SE is quite different than the Focus SE.

If you go build one on the Ford website, you'll notice the Escape SE's have a more limited selection of equipment groups and option packages.

They really only have more expensive options like MyFord Touch (with or without navi), bigger wheels, panoramic moonroof, and the power liftgate. You can jack up the price into the high 20's if you add all these up (and there are plenty listed at dealerships for that price range).

However, if you select the SEL, you get basically all that AND stuff like heated seats and leather for the same price or less!

Just something interesting I noticed that I thought I'd share.

#18 ·
The 1.6 and the DCT are absolutely a dream in that thing. Even with it being a heavier vehicle, it handles great, there is plenty of torque obviously, and I would say the DCT performed better than my dads DSG in his 2.0T Passat. The gearing seemed bang on the money. I don't think I've ever driven an auto where I didn't complain about it within 10 minutes.
It doesn't have a Dct it's a regular auomatic. Your right about the gearing. They put different final drives in depending on the engine or drivetrain.

#15 ·
Aztec, God save us from the fool who designed the styling on that POS.

As for the 1.6L ECO Boost, isn't that the engine they are putting into the new Focus ST for 2013?

#17 ·
hmm the Azcrap, maybe a good car for you, but not for Pontiac (one of the cars contributing to their demise). Escape= I drove an SEL lots of options for a week and half, it had the 2.0 Eco. Lots of power and torque steer to go with it. Drove great, comfortable, likes the styling, wish it came in a stick[scratch][scratch] I would buy one (if I made that kinda $)

#23 ·
Kinda ironic too that the 1.6L ecoboost is available in the escape but not on the Focus. Whats up with that Ford?
It is available in the Focus, in most markets (even Canada starting next year!), just not the US.... must be the demograhics and the marketing telling them most Americans won't buy them.....

#24 ·
I'm not sure they have the additional production volume to support launching that engine in three cars in North America for the next model year. They were playing it cautious initially with the 2.0L EcoBoost by only rolling it out in two models the first year, the Edge and Explorer. However now for 2013 it will be available in the Taurus, Focus ST, Escape, Fusion, as well as the Edge and Explorer or 6 product lines in 2013.

It would be one thing if they were producing these engines in North America, but they are currently importing every single EcoBoost i4 from Spain for the 2.0L (Valencia), and I believe Bridgend for the 1.6L which is in the U.K. That is expensive. The 2.0L GDI engine on the other hand is built right here in Dearborn, Michigan.

I really don't know where you're hearing that the powertrain line up will be different in the 2013 Focus in Canada, so far with the MK3 that hasn't been the case in 2012.

#27 ·
What's causing the problem with the 6F35? Is it overheating?

I've convinced my parents to break their ties to Chrysler after receiving a few bad Chrysler vehicles and they will most likely be buying an Edge or an Escape ... I'd hate for them to get one with a bad transmission.

#28 ·
I don't know specifically what caused a few of them to fail, including the one at the proving grounds, but personally given past experiences I still don't trust the Van **** assembly plant to build a durable product, even if the 6F35 is much improved over the older 4 speed ax4n/4f50n. If you maintain the car and change the transmission fluid early and often it might be ok, but heat is definitely a contributing factor to the failure of the earlier units at least. The fluid gets cooked and then fails to lubricate effectively, damage ensues and the car fails often around 100k miles, at least in cars that my family had owned that never had the fluid changed except maybe 1-2 times in that time frame.

It's likely fine now, but historically Ford hasn't been known for great FWD automatic transmissions as far as longevity is concerned. I also have a personal bias against the use of torque converters on engines with less than 2.0L of displacement, regardless of power output as they tended to really suck the life out of the engine. Manual or DCT is ok as it doesn't have a lossy torque converter eating the power and allowing the car to constantly creep forward due to the peak torque multiplication just off idle.

#31 ·
It looks smaller on the outside from the current Escape in my opinion. Also the one I saw was a base model and I was not sure if the upper levels are the same but the turn signals or parking lights in the lower front bumper had orange lens that makes it look ugly blunt. The one from the Ford mag. we got from the mail showed a clear lens with a orange bulb. That looks much better.

#34 ·
I bought a FWD, Titanium, 2.0L, Ginger Ale Metallic. It looks much much better in the sunlight, it really sparkles gold. Here's a write up I posted on the Blue Oval Forum earlier today.

This morning I took a 210 mile road trip which consisted of approximately 105 miles on the interstate and 105 miles of two lane highway. The Escape was a dream to drive and I don’t regret at all upgrading from my Focus, despite fewer mpg’s and a higher monthly payment. This 2.0 has great power and acceleration and goes like crazy when you need it to. The 6 speed is smooth, but sometimes seems to be searching for the best gear to often. Overall the ride is smooth and the cabin is very quiet. The ride is a little harsh going over expansion joints and imperfections in the road traveling at freeway speeds, but that’s to be expected for an SUV. The steering is very responsive in turns and curves and requires very little driver response in the straights. I tried to activate the Curve Control but couldn’t. I guess between the Torque Vectoring and me being chicken, I may never experience that feature.
If you want to squeeze out the best mpg’s, you will need to be very light on the accelerator. I noticed when you take off from a stop with a heavy foot, the average mpg’s drop very quickly. The highway portion of the trip in Western Wisconsin was all curving, rolling hills, with small towns every 8 to 15 miles or so apart. The mpg’s reading is really sensitive on this car, much more than my Focus. It reacts to nearly every transmission shift when it’s under any kind of load and drops a few tenths going up hills and vice versa going down, no surprise. The best mpg I got was 34.5, driving 55 on a straight flat road. On the rolling hills, with the cruise set at 58 (Wisconsin Troopers are notorious), I was getting 29-31 mpg’s and generally, when I’d cruise into a town it would increase to 31.2 and drop to 28.4 as I got back up to speed. I’ve always done this, but it’s a good idea to use the accelerator to gradually get back up to speed then reset the cruise, rather than hitting the resume button, downshifting and racing to speed, your mpg’s will take a BIG hit when the turbo kicks in. I did take it up to 110 for a brief time, maybe 45 seconds to a minute and it was smooth and handled really well. I tried to run it at different speeds; at 75 for 10 miles it read 26.2, at 70 I got 26.6 and at 60 got 28.7 and climbing, but I had to exit to head east to Wisconsin. Seems the mpg sweet spot is right around 60, again, no surprise. For the entire trip I averaged 28.7 mpg on Trip 2.
It was a rainy and dreary morning and the rain sensitive wipers worked great, there are much more reliable and consistent than my Focus. Yesterday, after much work, I finally got the seat to where I like it. I only got out of the car twice and my butt and legs were comfy the whole time, no circulation cut off on my legs like in the Focus. Being able to tilt the front of the seat cushion down really helps. The Escape seat is wider and my left leg doesn’t get strained by the seat bolster. There are a few things that could be improved on. The interior could use a cubby for cell phones, change or whatever. The side windows could use a rain channel, (remember cars before the 80’s that had a big chrome rain channels) because the rain pours in off the roof. It was humid and the windshield fogged up easily, all I wanted to do is have some air flow, but couldn’t, had to use the defroster, which runs the condenser, which lowers mpg’s. I don't care for the look of side window deflectors, but they're a must if you want to have the window cracked when it's raining.
The fit and finish of my interior is perfect. All the pieces line up, are tight and evenly spaced. There are no rattles, squeaks or thumps. There is some minor creasing in one area on the passenger seat and on the drivers side rear seat where the cloth and leather meet, but nothing to get worried about and someone not looking for it would never notice. Other than those two minor things, I couldn’t find anything wrong with the interior, and I looked. The paint is flawless, but I suppose I might find something when I wax. All the doors and hatch are aligned perfect, all the body lines match and the tires were only inflated to 40 psi rather than 36. All in all a great package, excellent work LAP.

#37 ·
It does look and feel like a larger Focus, especially on the inside. Obviously I sit higher and like the greater visibility. I read somewhere that the Escape is what would happen if you hooked an air hose to a Focus and pumped it up. I figure the key to good mileage is to try and keep the engine out of turbo as much as possible, but when you need it, man oh man, it's there.

#38 ·
I had the same thing happen . . .had two dealers poised to get me one of the first Focus ST's made and then saw the 2013 Escape . . . all my wishes were answered.

HID lights
2.0 Eco-Boost
AWD
BLIS
3,500 Class 2 trailering
Bike rack (tried everything I could to fit a bike in the Focus)

Ordered the 2013 Escape Titanium identical to the 2012 Focus Titanium. . .with every available option. . . and expect delivery in a couple weeks.

Interesting to see that they are selling above MSRP in a couple places.

Reading the various reviews . . .it looks like Ford has another home run on their hands.

#45 ·
HID lights
2.0 Eco-Boost
AWD
BLIS
3,500 Class 2 trailering
Bike rack (tried everything I could to fit a bike in the Focus)
I traded the leather (SEL) for the HID's. I'm surprised so few Ford's have the HID headlights

Mine is supposed to begin production Monday. When did you order yours?
I found out that my wait was so long because the first one built for me was one of the cars damaged in the hail storm.

They have to be the most hideous vehicle on the planet now that the gremlins have all rusted away !
REV
To each their own. If you haven't already, you should check one out in person.

#39 ·
Question: Are the wheel bolt pattens the same on the 2012 Focus Ti and the 2013 Escape Ti?

I love the 18" 5 spoke wheels on my Focus and am not big on the Escape wheels. I'd like to buy a set of wheels (Tire Rack doesn't show the 2013 yet) and have the dealer install pruor to pickup.

#40 ·
Question: Are the wheel bolt pattens the same on the 2012 Focus Ti and the 2013 Escape Ti?
Yes, but the back spacing may be different..... (I'm pretty sure it is different due to larger brakes)

#42 ·
Mine is supposed to begin production Monday. When did you order yours?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.