Trip Report: 2,000 Miles in my Focus Ti - Good, Bad, and Ugly - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregd View Post
A few things to consider. Tank 0 not listed may not have been filled to the top. Also the fact that tank 2 had the highest gas mileage makes me think that the suspect tank #1 was filled higher than the rest. A large factor when topping off the tank to the brim. Isn't the pump. If you fill up with the filler neck on your car on the lower end of a hill you will get much less gas in the tank. Could have been you pulled up to tank #1 with the filler on the top of a hill. Even a small slope with cause more of a differnence than you would think.
I'm as consistent as possible with all fill-ups. Always until it hits the auto-shutoff, then top off to the second auto-shutoff. It's not perfect, but that's as best as you can do when you're using various gas stations. As far as I can recall, every station used on the trip had level concrete at the pump.

I didn't list it, but I ran the tank nearly empty before the first fill (Tank #0) in order to make sure it was nearly all Premium. Fuel gauge was on E and it took 11 gal so it was pretty close to a full fill.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #22
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Yeah, some of those threads are what piqued my interest. I figured that 2,000 nearly-all-highway miles in a short time span would be an ideal time to test it out. Unfortunately, that possibly screwed-up pump after the first tank threw a bit of a wrench into everything.

Still... as I mentioned in the one note, based upon where the fuel gauge was when I filled up and its consistency during the rest of the trip I'm inclined to think that I actually used about 6.8 gal as opposed to the 8.3 the pump ticked off. If that's true, then my two tanks on 93 would be 43.0 and 45.0 MPG.

I know I need more data before I can say anything one way or another, but it's interesting. Taking the rest of the trip on 87 into account, it looks like I managed 36-37 MPG on those tanks. So, using the least-beneficial-$-wise case...

- If it's a $0.30 to $0.40 difference per gallon (which comes out to +12% assuming Regular's $3.40/gal)
- The difference in MPG is +16% (37.0 vs 43.0 for nearly 100% highway miles)

...then filling up with Premium would still make sense.

Like I said, it's certainly not conclusive at this point but I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot for a tank or two and seeing how your car fares.
Yeah, I'll definitely have to give it a try! I'll be sure to post up my results as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95110
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

Points 262, Level 5
Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5 Points: 262, Level: 5
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
So much to love about driving this car that if they could just fix this system, it would be damn near the perfect road trip car! Excellent work on the documentation.
Agree 100%. Great car with inexcusable glitches that should never have been a problem in the first place.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
Agree 100%. Great car with inexcusable glitches that should never have been a problem in the first place.
Yup, pretty much how I feel as well.

Having to go 200 miles (because you don't want to pull over on the side of a highway or pay a toll to get off and reboot/restart the car) after losing your audio is frustrating... especially when the rest of the drive is awesome!

MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 09-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Note - I'm cross-posting this in a couple applicable threads.

Took a trip up to MI this weekend. Impressive mileage once again.

It was about 20% city (by time) or 10% city (by miles) so let's call it 85% highway, 15% city.

Total of 492.2 miles on the tank; I had about 0.6 gallons left when I filled up. Yeah, cutting it close - anyway... that comes out to 41.8 MPG. Was running Shell V-Power 93 Octane.

Half the miles were in serious rain and/or a strong headwind and I noticed (watching the MPG meter) both caused a performance hit, as you may expect.

After 11.5K miles and a few long road trips I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I realize a measurable MPG boost on 93 Octane whenever I'm running all/mostly highway. When it's my more-usual 50/50 city highway split, I'm not sure that there's an MPG benefit from running premium.

One final note - MPG meter in car indicated 39.8, actual was 41.8. Pretty much in line with the 5% variation I usually see. What I do find interesting, though, is that the car more often underestimates when I run premium and overestimates when I'm running regular.

Miles at fill-up:

Distance to E after fill-up:

Old 09-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,695, Level 38
Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Note - I'm cross-posting this in a couple applicable threads.

Took a trip up to MI this weekend. Impressive mileage once again.

It was about 20% city (by time) or 10% city (by miles) so let's call it 85% highway, 15% city.

Total of 492.2 miles on the tank; I had about 0.6 gallons left when I filled up. Yeah, cutting it close - anyway... that comes out to 41.8 MPG. Was running Shell V-Power 93 Octane.

Half the miles were in serious rain and/or a strong headwind and I noticed (watching the MPG meter) both caused a performance hit, as you may expect.

After 11.5K miles and a few long road trips I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I realize a measurable MPG boost on 93 Octane whenever I'm running all/mostly highway. When it's my more-usual 50/50 city highway split, I'm not sure that there's an MPG benefit from running premium.

One final note - MPG meter in car indicated 39.8, actual was 41.8. Pretty much in line with the 5% variation I usually see. What I do find interesting, though, is that the car more often underestimates when I run premium and overestimates when I'm running regular.
I noticed that trend during my octane tests as well. I also agree with the open road use of 93 delivering a benefit. For my everyday commute, not an appreciable difference to justify the extra expense.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
41.8 MPG!!!

We've never been able to break 35 MPG on any road trip ever...

I'm guessing the Michigan norm of setting the cruise to 79 MPH doesn't help.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #28
Wildsailor
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
41.8 MPG!!!

We've never been able to break 35 MPG on any road trip ever...

I'm guessing the Michigan norm of setting the cruise to 79 MPH doesn't help.
I can attest to that. My son and I drove a 250 mile roundtrip from the Detroit area down into Ohio and then back. When he drove he set the cruise at 65 MPH because he is on a learning permit and was comfy there (by the way he really liked the little speed readout over the cruise indicator). The FE meter said he was getting 41.0 MPG. When I was driving I set the cruise at 72 MPH (still getting passed by everyone and their Grandma) and I was getting 38.3 MPG. I imagine 79 - 80 MPH and you will be down in the 34-35 MPG area.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
I can attest to that. My son and I drove a 250 mile roundtrip from the Detroit area down into Ohio and then back. When he drove he set the cruise at 65 MPH because he is on a learning permit and was comfy there (by the way he really liked the little speed readout over the cruise indicator). The FE meter said he was getting 41.0 MPG. When I was driving I set the cruise at 72 MPH (still getting passed by everyone and their Grandma) and I was getting 38.3 MPG. I imagine 79 - 80 MPH and you will be down in the 34-35 MPG area.
The Focus does have the best steering wheel and cruise control readout ever. I am glad they put it in the Escape and C-Max.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #30
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
I wanted to touch on some of the issues you were having with the Bluetooth. This is not MFT issue per se, but more of a bluetooth connection issue. I have other devices that connect through bluetooth on other devices and it also drops once in a while.

So far I have 4300km on my new 2012 Titanium and I am beyond pleased with Sync and everything else with the car, so far no issues reported. No reboots, no connection issues (except bluetooth on a rare occasion)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.