Stress Bars and/or Sway Bars - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
LDS SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99383
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 2004 svtf

FF Reputation: 1 LDS SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
First off this is not a shot at anyones intelligence. I just feel there needs to be a clarification.

Sway bars: These are designed to help keep a good tire contact patch with the ground during turning, under higher speed conditions that will cause tires to lift/change angles. They do provide a handling, if gone to far bad handling, upgrade.

Stress bars: These are designed to help the body become more rigid. This too can help handling but only slightly. Think of it this way your car is under extreme stress during cornering, like crushing a can. These bars help to stop that which in turn will alow the suspension to do its job.

Ford did not change much of there suspension for the focus from 2000-2011. They are all pretty much the same. They might have changed alittle but not much.

SO to answer your question yes the SVT sway bars will fit. And owning a SVT the handling is good. Like it has been said by a few already. Ford and pretty much all manufacturers design understeer/push into their cars. This is suppose to be safer for the average driver. But for the driver whom wants more fun or a really nice handling car SLIGHT oversteer/loose is better, alows the car to rotate through the corner.

To achieve this in a FWD platform a slightly bigger bar in the rear will help.
I had the eibach springs and sway bars on my SVT and they were in my opinion is one of the best handling setups. Little stiff but great handling. If you put the SVT sway bars on you will be amazed at the handling and ride they provide. And yes they will change the ride slightly, so before anyone says im crazy there was a HUGE differnce from when i installed just springs to springs and sway bars. Made it ride smoother IMO.

Just my little rant. And hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Focus On Me
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94526
What I Drive: Black MK2 Focus S

FF Reputation: 3 Focus On Me Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS SVT View Post
First off this is not a shot at anyones intelligence. I just feel there needs to be a clarification.

Sway bars: These are designed to help keep a good tire contact patch with the ground during turning, under higher speed conditions that will cause tires to lift/change angles. They do provide a handling, if gone to far bad handling, upgrade.

Stress bars: These are designed to help the body become more rigid. This too can help handling but only slightly. Think of it this way your car is under extreme stress during cornering, like crushing a can. These bars help to stop that which in turn will alow the suspension to do its job.

Ford did not change much of there suspension for the focus from 2000-2011. They are all pretty much the same. They might have changed alittle but not much.

SO to answer your question yes the SVT sway bars will fit. And owning a SVT the handling is good. Like it has been said by a few already. Ford and pretty much all manufacturers design understeer/push into their cars. This is suppose to be safer for the average driver. But for the driver whom wants more fun or a really nice handling car SLIGHT oversteer/loose is better, alows the car to rotate through the corner.

To achieve this in a FWD platform a slightly bigger bar in the rear will help.
I had the eibach springs and sway bars on my SVT and they were in my opinion is one of the best handling setups. Little stiff but great handling. If you put the SVT sway bars on you will be amazed at the handling and ride they provide. And yes they will change the ride slightly, so before anyone says im crazy there was a HUGE differnce from when i installed just springs to springs and sway bars. Made it ride smoother IMO.

Just my little rant. And hope this helps.
Thanks for the rant bro! I'm really digging the idea of those SVT bars now. I've heard nothing but good things about the SVTs to begin with when it comes to performance.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 07-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus On Me View Post
Alright.. You've lost me again. I thought SVT was a sub-model of Focus in the earlier generations. The one I'm looking at right now is: http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/for...r-swaybar.html
I believe this comes with all the necessary hardware..
If you could direct me to this SVT bar, I'd love to compare the two.

Yes the SVT was based on the 02 to 04 standard Focus. It had a much different motor, a very nice suspension, tire,wheel package and some other creature features. The SVT was (and still is) considered one of the better handling cars Ford has ever made. Ford Racing made the SVT suspension package available for aftermarket purchase. I had the kit on my ZX3 and it transformed the car (all for under 300.00). The rear 21mm sway is available in the SVT kit (springs, dampers, sway bar) or separately. Without knowing the size of the Steeda bar I can't say its equivalent or not. If it's 21 or 22mm in diameter it should be just as good and coming with the mounts is ideal as well.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
LDS SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

BTW i have a set of svt sway bars ill sell you if you want. you would need to get the bushings (available at most auto parts stores). and if you dont have a rear bar the endlinks and sway bar bushing mounts. I drive up to dc almost every month so we could meet and make the sale then.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #25
Focus On Me
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Yes the SVT was based on the 02 to 04 standard Focus. It had a much different motor, a very nice suspension, tire,wheel package and some other creature features. The SVT was (and still is) considered one of the better handling cars Ford has ever made. Ford Racing made the SVT suspension package available for aftermarket purchase. I had the kit on my ZX3 and it transformed the car (all for under 300.00). The rear 21mm sway is available in the SVT kit (springs, dampers, sway bar) or separately. Without knowing the size of the Steeda bar I can't say its equivalent or not. If it's 21 or 22mm in diameter it should be just as good and coming with the mounts is ideal as well.
It is in fact 21mm, the Steeda bar is. Should I consider upgrading my front bar as well, assuming I have one?

With the things I've heard and keep on hearing about the SVT I'm thinking I might find one for the wifey (for me to steal when I want to show off) when I have the money 'course when all is said and done with MY fofo, I'd like to think I'll be turning a few heads
-Steeda STS
-Power Slot Rotors, EBC GreenStuff Pads
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Focus On Me
Focus Addict

Quote:
BTW i have a set of svt sway bars ill sell you if you want. you would need to get the bushings (available at most auto parts stores). and if you dont have a rear bar the endlinks and sway bar bushing mounts. I drive up to dc almost every month so we could meet and make the sale then.
I MEAN... Lol if the price is right >>> so the wifey doesn't kill me
-Steeda STS
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
LDS SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

$100 and they are yours. This is front and rear.

You do have a front bar. If i remember correctly its 18mm were as the svt is 21mm.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
Focus On Me
Focus Addict

Quote:
$100 and they are yours. This is front and rear.

You do have a front bar. If i remember correctly its 18mm were as the svt is 21mm.
Would having both the same size equal a balanced suspension? Mentioned in a previous reply, I'm assuming I don't want to be too much on either side of over or understeer? Oh and do you have pictures?
-Steeda STS
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #29
LDS SVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I think the best thing for you to do would be to buy whatever swaybars you want, mainly rear. Drive it for a while and see how you like it.

But like i said before having a BIGGER rear bar will cause oversteer. now going to the svt rear bar with your stock front will act like the eibachs did with my car. Which was VERY controllable slight oversteer, basically you feel the rearend rotate slightly quicker than the fronts. Very fun to drive that way. But you can also put both on and yes it will have a EXCELLENT balance with a slight tendency to understeer, front tires pushing through the corner. This to is VERY controllable. SO its all going to depend on your driving style on how you want the car setup. I WOULD NOT buy a 24+ rear bar and put it on the car with your current front bar. This can be dangerous, LOTS AND LOTS of oversteer.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
Focus On Me
Focus Addict

Quote:
I think the best thing for you to do would be to buy whatever swaybars you want, mainly rear. Drive it for a while and see how you like it.

But like i said before having a BIGGER rear bar will cause oversteer. now going to the svt rear bar with your stock front will act like the eibachs did with my car. Which was VERY controllable slight oversteer, basically you feel the rearend rotate slightly quicker than the fronts. Very fun to drive that way. But you can also put both on and yes it will have a EXCELLENT balance with a slight tendency to understeer, front tires pushing through the corner. This to is VERY controllable. SO its all going to depend on your driving style on how you want the car setup. I WOULD NOT buy a 24+ rear bar and put it on the car with your current front bar. This can be dangerous, LOTS AND LOTS of oversteer.
So if I buy both from you, I would have the option to use one or both. I think I like a little bit of understeer as opposed to oversteer (or so I would think, because I just can't stand the feeling of the back end sliding out. (I had an explorer before the fofo, back end broke loose around a corner, ended up facing the traffic behind me) It gives me a mini heart attack every time I feel it). So yeah, taking that into account, lol you got pics? (also if there were a place for me to buy both of them new? (part #s?)
-Steeda STS

Bookmarks & Social Networks