Renting out a Injen Tuner - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104066
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Renting out a Injen Tuner

Would it be possible for someone that bought a injen tuner to have someone rent it for a couple days and ship it back for like $70?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
What are you even talking about? I think you're referring to an injected tuner, but most tuners are vin locked to a specific car once mated, so that wouldn't do you much good either.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
What are you even talking about? I think you're referring to an injected tuner, but most tuners are vin locked to a specific car once mated, so that wouldn't do you much good either.
Sorry I meant injected.. I saw some cars with injen stickers today and it got stuck in my head.

Would it be possible to buy one that isn't VIN locked? I'm probably going to get a different focus, but I think it'd be a nice deed to give the next owner some pep in their step.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
Sorry I meant injected.. I saw some cars with injen stickers today and it got stuck in my head.

Would it be possible to buy one that isn't VIN locked? I'm probably going to get a different focus, but I think it'd be a nice deed to give the next owner some pep in their step.
Ben isn't necessarily correct or incorrect. The tuning device is not locked to a certain VIN. The tuning device is loaded for the cars engine and transmissions codes. So, if that engine and tune were put into a new car, it would still work.

You cannot use the tuner in another car, it will brick it. Brick = it no haz work. You can pass the tuner along with the car though, if you so choose.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 08-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
Ben isn't necessarily correct. The tuning device is not locked to a certain VIN. The tuning device is loaded for the cars engine and transmissions codes. So, if that engine and tune were put into a new car, it would still work.

You cannot use the tuner in another car, it will brick it. Brick = it no haz work. You can pass the tuner along with the car though, if you so choose.
While the injected tuner in specific might not be locked to a particular vin, the SCT one likely is, as this is the case with the ST tunes via SCT and Cobb, and tunes for most other cars.

Also even if the device from injected isn't mated to one car, only having the software for a specific vehicle then in this case as it's been said it would brick another car without the file for that car.

In other words one tuner per vehicle is generally how it works.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Quote:
While the injected tuner in specific might not be locked to a particular vin, the SCT one likely is, as this is the case with the ST tunes via SCT and Cobb, and tunes for most other cars.

Also even if the device from injected isn't mated to one car, only having the software for a specific vehicle then in this case as it's been said it would brick another car without the file for that car.

In other words one tuner per vehicle is generally how it works.
SCT also asked for engine and transmission codes, and not the VIN.

To the OP:

Injected may or may not be able to rewrite your device for a new Focus, it doesn't hurt to ask. Even if it costs money, it would likely be cheaper than a new device.

April 2013 HOTM
Old 08-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
SCT also asked for engine and transmission codes, and not the VIN.

To the OP:

Injected may or may not be able to rewrite your device for a new Focus, it doesn't hurt to ask. Even if it costs money, it would likely be cheaper than a new device.
Again you're not understanding what I'm saying.

The tune file may not care what the vin of the car is, but the tuning device itself does as it's mated to that car and that specific VIN once the software is installed.

Specifically for the SCT X3:

Quote:
FOR THE FORD X3/SF3 3000/3015 AND THE GM SF3 3100:
Power up the device by plugging in to either a vehicle's OBDII port or a computer's USB port. (usb cable not included)
Once powered up, scroll all the way down to device info.
Press Select on Device Info.
Status will either be: Status: Locked or Status: Unlocked.

*This is the breakdown of what each one means:*
Status: Locked - The vehicle is VIN locked, you need to either return the vehicle it is currently locked to back to stock, or you will need to call Tech Support and Get a Return Authorization and pay an Unlocking Fee.

Quote:
IF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE IS NOT PRESET, READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS

To get the unit unlocked you will need to contact our Tech Support staff over the phone and they will instruct you on what you will need and the information we will need so you can send your device in to us for unlock. The cost to unlock the unit is $150.00
SCT only allows a certain number of unlocks before you have to pay to reset the device.

http://www.sctflash.com/support/inde...kbarticleid=24

Quote:
An AccessPORT can be uninstalled from a vehicle by selecting the Uninstall option from the main menu of the AccessPORT. Once this process is complete, the AccessPORT can be installed on any other vehicle that particular part number supports. If an AccessPORT has not been uninstalled from the previous vehicle, or the previous vehicle was totaled or stolen, the AccessPORT can be relicensed, or reset back to an uninstalled state. Please contact our support team for more information about this process.
https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/entri...-an-AccessPORT

The only way that the SCT device or the COBB tuner can be used on another car is if the original car is returned to stock first and the tuner is unmarried from the ECM.

Maybe the injected tuner is different, but as far as the actual SCT and COBB devices only one car can use the tuner at a time as it is married to the power train control module.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

No, I get exactly what you were saying. I was making the point that tuners are not married to VINs. They are married to the engine and transmission codes. If an engine and transmission were put into another car (and related components) then the VIN means squat.

We're arguing the same thing. I was simply stating that the VIN does not matter in the scheme of things.

April 2013 HOTM
Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast

So I could buy a tuner and tune my current car, but I'd have to bring it back to stock when I'm done in order to exchange it to another car?

Also, injected vs SCT?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
So I could buy a tuner and tune my current car, but I'd have to bring it back to stock when I'm done in order to exchange it to another car?

Also, injected vs SCT?
I am not sure of what you're going to have to do in order to transfer your tuner. It is best to contact each company and ask them whether or not they even transfer. Anything more than that is just speculation.

Injected v. SCT?

There are threads for both and your answers will be found within them.

April 2013 HOTM

Bookmarks & Social Networks