Noise when shifting into 2nd under a load - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Bwebb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105332
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Bwebb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Noise when shifting into 2nd under a load

We have had our 2013 Focus Titanium now for a month. a couple of times, under the right conditions it would rattle after shifting into 2nd and "lugging" the engine. Last week we had 4 full size adults in the car and basically every time in second while accelerating it would make quite a bad noise (rattle/vibration). Brought it into Ford service and they told me they heard the noise and this is normal and is functioning properly. It kind of sounds like the engine / transmission is going to rattle / fall out. Has anyone else experienced this? I do not think it is detrimental to the car but it does suck having to apologize to the riders in the car the noise you brand new car makes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Is this a DCT or a manual? If it is a DCT give it more gas. If it is a manual, what are you doing lugging around in second gear with loaded down car? Most all cars will shake and rattle under those conditions.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Bwebb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105332
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Bwebb Good Standing Member
Sorry, this is an DCT (automatic transmission ) and i would call it normal accelleration. Side note: Our lowner car similar to ours did not make this noise.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I would suggest looking into the tsb's they have released it sounds similar to some the old issues that were on the first 2012's
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
They changed clutch assembly on mine and still doing same. Shakes on 2gear engage and ratling(or grinding like everybody saying on the forum ) sound on gears1-4. On the highway is the best but city, want to hang myself.
And I believe no fix for that. I still owe around 4-5k for the car, after paid off going to trade it and get new Nissan Maxima. I want to support our cars but this time they bend me over.

Bwebb look at my other posts, you ll see what I mean.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Have you done any hard accelerations. I know when mine starts acting different, usually after hypermiling, I run it hard for a bit and it seems to help. It may make it move the shift point higher from 1st to 2nd.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
I am driving soft. I noticed when its flooring and rpm thru the roof it's littles less noticeable but that's not how you should drive the car.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
I am driving soft.
In my opinion, this car with the DCT is not for hypermiling. When I try to hypermile for a while, the adaptive transmission gets all out of whack. When I forget about the average MPG and just drive the car, occasionally driving it like I stole it, the car and DCT work flawlessly. Just a suggestion to all whom may be trying to hypermile a DCT. If you want to hypermile in a Focus get the manual or go for the C-Max Hybrid. I had a chance to test drive the C-Max and it is the hypermile machine with it's CVT.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwebb View Post
We have had our 2013 Focus Titanium now for a month. a couple of times, under the right conditions it would rattle after shifting into 2nd and "lugging" the engine. Last week we had 4 full size adults in the car and basically every time in second while accelerating it would make quite a bad noise (rattle/vibration). Brought it into Ford service and they told me they heard the noise and this is normal and is functioning properly...
Hi Bwebb,

I want to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll get your information in the right hands and move things forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
I would suggest looking into the tsb's they have released it sounds similar to some the old issues that were on the first 2012's
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 View Post
Have you done any hard accelerations. I know when mine starts acting different, usually after hypermiling, I run it hard for a bit and it seems to help. It may make it move the shift point higher from 1st to 2nd.
Thanks for the good advice, bringler26 and AZfocus2012!

Have a great day,
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford

Bookmarks & Social Networks