infamous stripped t-55 cam bolt - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Maybe.
I'm not going to say one way or the other being I haven't personally tried it.

IMO, ARP's are your best bet. Tried and true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
scoobygms210
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88879
What I Drive: 2002 white wagon

FF Reputation: 1 scoobygms210 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yeah find a local shop that speciallies on bolts i have a place forgot the name close to my job that has every single type of bolt ive ever need from my JDM build mr2 to 6 foot all threads even piping pulgs and stuff they even have grade 10 bolts there its great and cheap i bet i can get cam bolts there for super cheap they always fine the thread pitch and size for me even grade .. use a phone book bro lol by that i mean google
Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
infamous stripped t-55 cam bolt????

How did you do that? And why "infamous"?

I never even came close to stripping either of mine, how did everyone here?

Serous question, so I can avoid it?
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burke_024 View Post
just like the title says ,im more function than fashion so 40$ on 2 bolts is idk kind of stupid, my question is does any one know the grade and pitch for the bolts im just gonna put some together?
weld on 15mm bolt heds on the ends of the cam gears. then theyll never strip
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
burke_024
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94039
What I Drive: 2000 focus zx3, almost boosted : )

FF Reputation: 1 burke_024 Good Standing Member
lol nah im goin with arp , i just couldnt figure out the timing on the car ,was on tooth off 18 degrees of some thing was gonna work on it and went to loosen it and the teeth in the bolt gave way , but they have been tightened and loosened about 6 times ,imine being stripped was probably from the worn out t-55 but im going with the 18mm torx head bolt from arp seem a little more logical in design imo
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
scoobygms210
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke_024 View Post
lol nah im goin with arp , i just couldnt figure out the timing on the car ,was on tooth off 18 degrees of some thing was gonna work on it and went to loosen it and the teeth in the bolt gave way , but they have been tightened and loosened about 6 times ,imine being stripped was probably from the worn out t-55 but im going with the 18mm torx head bolt from arp seem a little more logical in design imo
paying for arp is paying for a name there not head studs there just a bolt that holds on a cam gear at like 50 foot pounds not a big deal if anything i would buy ones from ford not arp if u wanna buy name brand and learn to not strip bolts. ... ive never had a car with torx until this focus but ive yet to strip any bolt even when i did my own timing belt and vavle lash adjust both times no problem with the oem bolt ? and on my mr2 i used oem bolt for like 10 years ? not ever needing to replace anything not even head bolts cus i check them for spec
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
burke_024
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94039
What I Drive: 2000 focus zx3, almost boosted : )

FF Reputation: 1 burke_024 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygms210 View Post
paying for arp is paying for a name there not head studs there just a bolt that holds on a cam gear at like 50 foot pounds not a big deal if anything i would buy ones from ford not arp if u wanna buy name brand and learn to not strip bolts. ... ive never had a car with torx until this focus but ive yet to strip any bolt even when i did my own timing belt and vavle lash adjust both times no problem with the oem bolt ? and on my mr2 i used oem bolt for like 10 years ? not ever needing to replace anything not even head bolts cus i check them for spec

ya want a cookie ?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Note how big OD the washer part of the bolt is.........that's for a reason, as is the undercut on backside. Normal washers put all the load close in to the bolt head itself, the big OD and undercut serve to make the loaded area way out on the outside diameter of the washer. That way the high torque used is spread over greater area to clamp much more firmly. A separate washer is not going to duplicate that effect unless more than one used, i.e., smaller OD one under bolt head itself and then bigger OD under it. The pyramid effect would do the same, push the load further out. Or maybe two washers thick instead of just one, either way you go the washers must be grade quality steel just like the bolt or you have wasted your time. Non-hardened washers would simply deflect away from the sprocket to reduce load carrying ability. There's a reason that special bolt is that high priced.......................your engine's durability is most definitely riding on one part there.

FYI, the $7.99 torx set is how you strip them to begin with. Cheap less hardened tip rolls the corners off to damage bolt corners at same time the tip is giving up the ghost. For those cam bolts you should always use the highest quality tip you can find and go out of your way to make sure when you use it you are perpendicular to the bolt head. The hole depth is not such to completely straighten up the tip, if you lean sideways even a little bit the damage is done. Often too, one starts with T50 tip which seems to fit until you realize it's a bit too small, by then too late, you've screwed it up.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
scoobygms210
Focus Enthusiast

cracker plz :-)
Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
scoobygms210
Focus Enthusiast

still believe that arp a waste of money if need be buy the oem bolt and learn to use tools if anything ill send u a set of OEM bolts from the junkyard i have like 3 sets that i got there from free lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks