Lightweight Wheels - Would You Buy a Set? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Would you buy a set of Enkei Racing Wheels?
Yes 25 54.35%
No 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 AM   #21
SterlingArcher
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100651
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatch, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 SterlingArcher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Make RC-T4's 5x108 and I'll sell a kidney tonight.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #22
WhiteT5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93993
What I Drive: '04 Saab 9-5 Aero

FF Reputation: 1 WhiteT5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
The RPF1's are awesome, didn't they make a set of 5x108 at one time? I've seen a couple set pop up on eBay, but I can't tell if they are really good knock-offs or not.

But if I hadn't have just bought wheels I'd be all over RPF1's for sure.
There were some 18x7.5 5x108 RPF1's produced a few years ago, but we never brought them in to the States. If what you are seeing are the real deal, they are what we call "grey market" wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefocus View Post
Anyone know what the stock wheels weigh? What kind of difference are we looking at?
The stock 17x7 are about 21-22 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox-y-GenIII View Post
Are those prices per SET or per wheel? If its per wheel that's too much. Forged wheels are around that price.

Also, those two styles look good but not one I would buy. I would buy a set at that price if i found one I like.
Priced per wheel. These are full fledged racing wheels used by professional race teams all over the world. When you compare pricing to the competition, they are an amazing deal.

Quote:
Only ones is be interested in are the Raijin or the EKM3 in 18" x 8"
Both the Raijin and the EKM3 are great wheels, but they are a bit heavier. An 18x8 Raijin comes in at 20 lbs, which puts us pretty close to the stock weight. MSRP is also lower on these styles since they are manufactured in Thailand instead of Japan. Our factory in Thailand puts out an amazing product though.

If there is an overwhelming consensus about one or two particular styles that you guys all agree on, I can certainly look in to having those produced instead of/in addition to the PF01 or RPF1.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
If it was on something more serious than a Focus and I was actually using it to really reduce times around a track it would be worth it but for the street most "cheap" rims will suffice.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Quote:
Are those prices per SET or per wheel? If its per wheel that's too much. Forged wheels are around that price.

Also, those two styles look good but not one I would buy. I would buy a set at that price if i found one I like.
$340 per wheel isn't that expensive for quality, light weight-ish wheels. They'll last much longer than say Sport Editions or any other Tire Rack brand because they aren't made of butter.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

Points 4,926, Level 44
Points: 4,926, Level: 44 Points: 4,926, Level: 44 Points: 4,926, Level: 44
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
I guess I have a bad impression of those wheels. Seeing them so often makes me (unfairly) think they are of cheaper quality. I did see someone with some 18x8.5" Raijins I think that weighed 21.5lbs each. For me, if the wheel weighs about the same as stock AND look great then its a deal. That plus these are an inch bigger than my SEL rims at the same weight so I am not gaining any.

And ya. Those aren't expensive. I read the number wrong. Haha. Forged wheels are like $700 each... Or more for some I like.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #26
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Ummm

Quote:
And ya. Those aren't expensive. I read the number wrong. Haha. Forged wheels are like $700 each... Or more for some I like.
I believe he said they were forged wheels.

Quote:
Both are spun forged racing wheels built in Japan and weigh in at around 18 lbs each.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteT5 View Post
I realize that there is a tire/wheel discussion forum, but I get the sense that it is not viewed by 3rd Gen owners nearly as much as this forum, so if it's okay with the admins, I'd really prefer to keep this thread here since it is specific to 3rd Gen owners.

All that said, I work for Enkei Wheels and have been contemplating the idea of having lightweight racing wheels built for the MK3 Focus community, especially with the Focus ST hitting the market pretty soon.

The most likely candidates would be the PF01 or the RPF1 in 18x8 +45 5x108. Both are spun forged racing wheels built in Japan and weigh in at around 18 lbs each. MSRP is $340 on the PF01 and $325 on the RPF1. I have to order a minimum quantity of 40 of each configuration to be able to bring these in, so I am starting by gauging interest here. So what say you Focus Fanatics? Would you buy a set if they were made available to you? Please be honest keeping the price in mind, so that we can determine if there is actually enough demand to produce these.

http://www.enkei.com/rpf1.html

http://www.enkei.com/pf01.shtml
I believe the stock 18" wheels have 55 mm offset. Would matching that be possible? If not what affect does the 10 mm have? Which way does that move the wheel/tire? To the outside of the car correct?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #28
WhiteT5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93993
What I Drive: '04 Saab 9-5 Aero

FF Reputation: 1 WhiteT5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
I believe he said they were forged wheels.
They are spun-forged, aka MAT, which is a hybrid manufacturing method developed by Enkei in which the face is cast and the barrel is rolled out under extreme pressure with specialized equipment, resulting in a more uniform arrangement of the aluminum structure at a very basic level, much the same as a forged wheel. This results in a wheel that is as strong as a forged wheel, but without the exorbitant cost. The strength is where you need it most, in the barrel.

This differs from the majority of wheels on the market, which are just gravity cast, meaning that the molten aluminum is poured in to a mold of the whole wheel. There is not really anything wrong with this method, but you lack the uniformity in the structure and the strength that you get with a MAT wheel. Additionally, the barrel needs to be thicker using gravity casting to get decent strength, which results in a heavier wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus YBTC View Post
I believe the stock 18" wheels have 55 mm offset. Would matching that be possible? If not what affect does the 10 mm have? Which way does that move the wheel/tire? To the outside of the car correct?
Correct. The stock offset is +55. Moving to a +45 would move everything out an additional 10 mm on each side, giving a more flush look and a 20 mm wider track for the car. The Focus would easily accomodate this width and offset with no concerns of rubbing.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
My wheels have a 40mm offset and it's excellent fitment for the car, 45mm shouldn't be that bad either and you can always add a 5mm spacer if needed.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #30
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Where would you put the spacer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
My wheels have a 40mm offset and it's excellent fitment for the car, 45mm shouldn't be that bad either and you can always add a 5mm spacer if needed.
Where would you put a spacer to move the wheels back to the inside of the car? I can't picture how that would work.

As far as the Enkei wheels go, I think I would be down for a set of the RPF1s in the spring. I'd have to save my pennies until then.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.