Another Dual Exhaust Post... - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #31
Dink7898
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100979
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE 5-door MT

Posts: 44
FF Reputation: 1 Dink7898 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2•ohh View Post
Another day goes by and I didn't get a chance to touch it. Maybe this coming Friday. Good news is the Wife thought it came from Ford that way and didn't mention anything about the exhaust note!
Doing mods without wife aggro is always a good thing.
__________________
2001 ZX3 CD Silver MT: Fastest time 0-60ft 2.1, 15.5 q/mile, 87.1 mph.
Purchased 6/14/01 with 7 miles - Traded in 6/25/12 with 122,355.

2012 SE Sport 5dr Ingot Silver MT:
Purchased 6/25/12 with 30 miles.
Dink7898 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #32
rick47
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
rick47's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85994
Location: St-Constant, Canada
What I Drive: 2012, silver, SEL

Posts: 34
FF Reputation: 1 rick47 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dink = Yesss
rick47 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #33
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast
 
FocusOnMeNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97757
Location: Whittier, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

Posts: 206
FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does dual exhaust on a single exhaust hurt performance? Just curious, because I want to do the same.
FocusOnMeNow is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #34
TiStick
Boob Whisperer
 
TiStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96514
Location: Los Banos, CA
What I Drive: LesVagon

Posts: 6,104
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
Does dual exhaust on a single exhaust hurt performance? Just curious, because I want to do the same.
In a short answer: NO.
For the longer version: NNNNOOOOOO
__________________
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
TiStick is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #35
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic
 
RonMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 99230
Location: Littleton, CO
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Posts: 4,097
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The only negative of a dual exhaust is th4e extra weight for the dual look;I love the dual look but I'm still flip flopping on that or a single tip.
__________________
'12 Focus Red Candy SE Sport 5 spd
'99 Toyota 4Runner Sport
'11 Subaru WRX STI Hatch
RonMaiden is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #36
Dink7898
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100979
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE 5-door MT

Posts: 44
FF Reputation: 1 Dink7898 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would think that performance would be more determined by ID of the exhaust and restrictors more than what tips are installed. You could put a 6in exhaust starting at the cat going to the back of the car but your not going to get any more performance than whatever the smallest ID of the entire exhaust would be depending on the restrictions. So if you have a header with a 2in exit you might as well have a 2in exhaust from the front to the back. At least that is how I have always thought how it worked. You see people driving Civics all over this area 6in tip out the back but a stock pipe going into the muffler. There is no way the provides any kind of increase in power. I can see dual tips changing the sound more than it would effect performance. But I dont have alot of experience with exhausts other than the Borla 2.5in I had on my 01. My shorty header collector was only 2.25in if I remember correctly. On second thought I have no idea what I'm talking about.
__________________
2001 ZX3 CD Silver MT: Fastest time 0-60ft 2.1, 15.5 q/mile, 87.1 mph.
Purchased 6/14/01 with 7 miles - Traded in 6/25/12 with 122,355.

2012 SE Sport 5dr Ingot Silver MT:
Purchased 6/25/12 with 30 miles.
Dink7898 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #37
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast
 
FocusOnMeNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97757
Location: Whittier, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

Posts: 206
FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the tip.
FocusOnMeNow is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #38
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 12,127
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink7898 View Post
I would think that performance would be more determined by ID of the exhaust and restrictors more than what tips are installed. You could put a 6in exhaust starting at the cat going to the back of the car but your not going to get any more performance than whatever the smallest ID of the entire exhaust would be depending on the restrictions. So if you have a header with a 2in exit you might as well have a 2in exhaust from the front to the back. At least that is how I have always thought how it worked. You see people driving Civics all over this area 6in tip out the back but a stock pipe going into the muffler. There is no way the provides any kind of increase in power. I can see dual tips changing the sound more than it would effect performance. But I dont have alot of experience with exhausts other than the Borla 2.5in I had on my 01. My shorty header collector was only 2.25in if I remember correctly. On second thought I have no idea what I'm talking about.


For the most part, you are pretty much correct to a degree. There is a size over stock, even while maintaining the stock header and cat, that gains will be seen. Ours is roughly 2.5" (from members testing). Above that you lose drive-ability, while below that you don't get max performance.

And anyone changing a tip with the thought of gaining performance is sadly mistaken. Strictly a sound mod. I even did a dyno run to show this with our lunchbox delete. The only performance gain you see is the loss of the weight.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #39
Dink7898
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 100979
Location: St. Louis, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE 5-door MT

Posts: 44
FF Reputation: 1 Dink7898 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
For the most part, you are pretty much correct to a degree. There is a size over stock, even while maintaining the stock header and cat, that gains will be seen. Ours is roughly 2.5" (from members testing). Above that you lose drive-ability, while below that you don't get max performance.

And anyone changing a tip with the thought of gaining performance is sadly mistaken. Strictly a sound mod. I even did a dyno run to show this with our lunchbox delete. The only performance gain you see is the loss of the weight.
So why does that happen? How does more air flow past the restriction than would normally be allowed because of a larger ID exhaust. I'm not doubting you just curious. And to think the whole time I owned my 01 with my shorty header that was the one thing that I always thought was mismatched (header - 2.25, hi-flow cat - 2.50, borla - 2.50). Not that it would have made any difference. Maybe like .5hp but it bothered my OCD. I dont think I could have squeezed any more power from my 01 without an SCT tune.
__________________
2001 ZX3 CD Silver MT: Fastest time 0-60ft 2.1, 15.5 q/mile, 87.1 mph.
Purchased 6/14/01 with 7 miles - Traded in 6/25/12 with 122,355.

2012 SE Sport 5dr Ingot Silver MT:
Purchased 6/25/12 with 30 miles.
Dink7898 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #40
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 12,127
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Bernoulli's Priciple will give you some insight. An engine is just an oversized air pump...it's not that there's more air flow, just that the velocity changes. Temperature, pressure, and velocity go hand in hand. Your header was smaller piping and was high temp, so velocity was high. In the 2.5", it had more room and time to cool, so velocity slowed. You can only flow out the same amount that flows in.

There's so much more to it, but thats a quick overview.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.