My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #61
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I think I'll check out that preferred customer cost when I get home. Even without it Amsoil isn't thay much more expensive than the Mobil One, especially when the cost is spread out over 10k. If it offers better protection, I'm down.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #62
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I think I'll check out that preferred customer cost when I get home. Even without it Amsoil isn't thay much more expensive than the Mobil One, especially when the cost is spread out over 10k. If it offers better protection, I'm down.
In my previous GT500, we all compared UOA results from the lab using different lubricants. Amsoil always won, hands down.

Can't wait to see the results after Amsoil and the bypass filter system.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #63
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCornell View Post
Oil that changes from its original happy golden color gets changed. 3k miles till I die, full synth too.
Good thing you don't drive a diesel then, since you would never get anywhere.... Brand new oil in a diesel engine is black within minutes of starting the engine. Ask someone who drives one. Color alone means "squat" when talking about oil quality. Only a lab analysis can determine when your oil is nearing the end of its serviceable life. Several manufacturers rate certain synthetic oils and filters with the "LL" designation (BMW, Mercedes, Audi's etc), which in most cases is above 10000 miles (as high as 18000 in some cases ). If you don't run a cartridge style media element, you may want to change your filter at least once during that extended interval, but, again, the lab can best advise you on that. (once you know how your oil/filter media and engine interact, then you know your intervals ).
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #64
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find a better lubricant for the money. What's even better, everyone can buy Amsoil at dealer/wholesale cost by signing up as a preferred customer. Buying 25% cheaper than retail makes it a no brainer to buy Amsoil. At least you KNOW you are buying true synthetic base stock lubricants in their Signature Series.

Preferred Customer

The bypass filtration system I ordered for my 2012 Focus is manufactured by Amsoil.
I am a Preferred Customer. The cost to become a Preferred Customer pays for itself once you purchase a case of 12 of their signature series oil. I think its a $125 for a case of 12 with a regular account with a Preferred Customer account its $86 and some change. Since Amsoil has a warehouse in Texas I get my order next day if I order during the week during business hours. Their filters are excellent as well. I ordered 2 filters and a case of signature series 5-20w oil. With shipping included it came out to be $134 and some change.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #65
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I am a Preferred Customer. The cost to become a Preferred Customer pays for itself once you purchase a case of 12 of their signature series oil. I think its a $125 for a case of 12 with a regular account with a Preferred Customer account its $86 and some change. Since Amsoil has a warehouse in Texas I get my order next day if I order during the week during business hours. Their filters are excellent as well. I ordered 2 filters and a case of signature series 5-20w oil. With shipping included it came out to be $134 and some change.

So ... if the oil was $86 .... TWO FILTERS AND SHIPPING wa $48 ???? And you live near the warehouse ???

We're talking about a FORD FOCUS. Mobil One oil, and Mann, FOMOCO, or Motorcraft filters are just fine at less than half the cost.

No thanks. Amsoil makes great products, but overpaying for no realizeable benefits makes no sense to me. Their regular OE oil at $6.10 per quart would probably be fine (assuming the 25% discount) ... but why go through the hassle when I can get M1 at Walmart for $25 a jug, and Mann filters at Rock Auto for $2-$3 ? $48 for two filters and shipping is absurd.

REV
Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #66
Edbro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98994
What I Drive: 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Edbro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
So ... if the oil was $86 .... TWO FILTERS AND SHIPPING wa $48 ???? And you live near the warehouse ???

No thanks.

REV
Plus membership cost. Don't forget that!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #67
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post

No thanks.

REV
A case of Amsoil ASL 5W-20 Signature Series is $89.25 @ preferred Customer pricing.

The filters are $11.35 for the standard length filter and $13.15 for the long filter. I prefer the longer filter for increased capacity.

The membership cost is $10.00 for 6 months, $20.00 for the year.

Don't forget about tax, and shipping isn't an issue if he can pick up at his local distribution warehouse. No shipping charges for local pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Good thing you don't drive a diesel then, since you would never get anywhere.... Brand new oil in a diesel engine is black within minutes of starting the engine. Ask someone who drives one. Color alone means "squat" when talking about oil quality. Only a lab analysis can determine when your oil is nearing the end of its serviceable life. Several manufacturers rate certain synthetic oils and filters with the "LL" designation (BMW, Mercedes, Audi's etc), which in most cases is above 10000 miles (as high as 18000 in some cases ). If you don't run a cartridge style media element, you may want to change your filter at least once during that extended interval, but, again, the lab can best advise you on that. (once you know how your oil/filter media and engine interact, then you know your intervals ).
Quoted for 100% truth.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #68
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Just ordered my Amsoil. 5qts of XL 5w-20 with filter, +tax/shipping= $46.27

The Amsoil warehouse is a 200mile round trip (@$15 in gas + 3.5 hours of my time) vs the $9.10 shipping cost. I'll pay that anytime.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #69
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
A case of Amsoil ASL 5W-20 Signature Series is $89.25 @ preferred Customer pricing.

The filters are $11.35 for the standard length filter and $13.15 for the long filter. I prefer the longer filter for increased capacity.

The membership cost is $10.00 for 6 months, $20.00 for the year.

Don't forget about tax, and shipping isn't an issue if he can pick up at his local distribution warehouse. No shipping charges for local pickup.

Quoted for 100% truth.

I hear all your points, believe me .... Wix filters cost me about $3 each, and M1 is $25 (5 quarts). As I said ... Amsoil makes great stuff .... always have and probably always will, it's just VERY expensive.

If I had an ST or another high performance engine or for that matter ANY diesel of turbocharged engine ... I'd use it. For my $16,000 Focus ... WIX or Mann and M1 is just fine.

As much as I always say I'm going to keep a car forever, I usually get bored with it or it needs some kind of major work at about the 150,000 mile mark. My last car was a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 165,000 miles on it. I used Toyota filters and M1 in it from day 1. When I changed the oil at 10,000 intervals it hadn't used a drop and looked only slightly darker than new.

The only reason I got rid of it was because it needed a $1200 catalytic converter, O2 sensors, and tires ... to the tune of almost $1800. In all those miles the only actual repair I ever did to it was one headlight bulb. I maintain the hell out of all my vehicles myself, and I honestly feel that the difference between M1 and a quality standard oil filter, and the Amsoil stuff is so negligible as to not even be worth talking about .... but that';s just me. If others want to use different materials that's fine, but for the normal driver, the regular stuff is just fine.

Good discussion !!

REV
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #70
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Just ordered my Amsoil. 5qts of XL 5w-20 with filter, +tax/shipping= $46.27
What reasons do you choose XL instead of the superior Signature Series?

Bookmarks & Social Networks