My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 31 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #301
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For real, this thread is one of the better ones on FF.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #302
PandT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110640
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatch 18" Plat White

FF Reputation: 2 PandT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedComet View Post
For real, this thread is one of the better ones on FF.
As a Newbie, this thread has been one of the most informative for me yet, first referred to by UnleashedBeast; for newbie questions on oil and oiling.

Why is this not a Sticky?

You would not believe the hours I have spent on this Forum looking for 'This' thread.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 AM   #303
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
I wouldn't mind seeing this and the Oil Change 101 thread sticked (unless the other one is already, I only ever click on it from my user dash).
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 03-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #304
c5karl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105687
What I Drive: 2013 Hatchback SE, 5-speed, silver

FF Reputation: 1 c5karl Good Standing Member
This is merely an anecdote, but to weigh in on the more-is-not-necessarily better side of the debate:

My last car was an '01 Cougar with the 2.5L Duratec V6. I relied on the dash light for oil change timing. For that car, that meant oil changes in the 4,500-5,000 mi. range. After the first year or two, I stopped doing my own oil changes and let Jiffy Lube change the oil for me. I always bought the cheapest 5W20 on Jiffy Lube's menu.

After 11+ years, I sold the car to my brother (for $1) with 248,500 mi. on the odo. He's still driving it and is at a bit over 251,000 miles. The car does have some issues (A/C hasn't worked for years, synchros almost gone in 3rd gear, sway bars should probably be replaced). But there are no issues with the engine. It uses about 1.5 quarts between oil changes, but there is a slow oil leak which probably accounts for most of that. MPGs are identical to what they were when the car was new: 23-26 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. No blue smoke. No valve noise. Purrs like a kitten.

I'm not qualified to offer a definite explanation for the engine's longevity, but compared to motoring a few decades ago, manufacturing tolerances are tighter, engine management is more precise, fuels are cleaner, etc.

Is it possible to get long life out of an engine without seeking the best possible oils and changing religiously at 3,000 mi.? Yes, it is definitely possible, because i have done so.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #305
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here's a question. I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium (brand new) that had 93 miles on it when I purchased it. I bought the car a week ago (April, 2013) but it had a build date of September, 2011. My included Ford service package (2 yrs/25,000) won't cover the oil change until 5,000 miles but that interval won't pop up for me until probably November/December. Should I change my oil now under the assumption that it's been sitting for over a year and a half or...
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #306
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Here's a question. I just bought a 2012 Ford Focus Titanium (brand new) that had 93 miles on it when I purchased it. I bought the car a week ago (April, 2013) but it had a build date of September, 2011. My included Ford service package (2 yrs/25,000) won't cover the oil change until 5,000 miles but that interval won't pop up for me until probably November/December. Should I change my oil now under the assumption that it's been sitting for over a year and a half or...
For sure this is a "no-brainer", by all means CHANGE THE OIL.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #307
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
For sure this is a "no-brainer", by all means CHANGE THE OIL.
Will do. Is there anyway to tell if the oil is still "good" from the dip stick, I assume age of the oil contributes to it breaking down rather than being dirty like oil with many miles on it, on the long shot that the dealer did take age into account and changed the oil.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #308
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Will do. Is there anyway to tell if the oil is still "good" from the dip stick, I assume age of the oil contributes to it breaking down rather than being dirty like oil with many miles on it, on the long shot that the dealer did take age into account and changed the oil.

I guess if the oil on the dipstick is still a golden honey color that might be indication of low use or it's been changed.

In any case, IF you are not sure then it's best to change it. On my first couple of oil changes there were small flakes of metal, so it's reasonably important to get it changed during the break-in period.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #309
mmmfloorpie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72039
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 mmmfloorpie Good Standing Member
What about time duration? People have been saying to do it every 3000-5000 miles. Over the course of the year I might not drive 5000 miles. Should the oil still be changed every 6 months/year/other length of time?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #310
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
I guess if the oil on the dipstick is still a golden honey color that might be indication of low use or it's been changed.

In any case, IF you are not sure then it's best to change it. On my first couple of oil changes there were small flakes of metal, so it's reasonably important to get it changed during the break-in period.
Well shoot, if you found metal flakes then I better change it at about 1k miles regardless of if they changed it before. Thanks for the heads up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->