My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 25 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #241
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,695, Level 38
Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38 Points: 3,695, Level: 38
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Not saying it isn't a fine lubricant, but Amsoil's top-of-the-line "Signature Series" (the one with low Noack and such) is not ASE "SN" certified. Amsoil points out reasons this is so but does have a proecudure for dealing with cases where warranty coverage is denied because of the lack of certification. So I guess it happens.

While it sure isn't likely to be a problem, I guess I would prefer to keep my life simpler and avoid it, at least during the warranty period.
Isn't that due to the ZDDP exceeding the ASE's current specs, so they won't "certify"? I had it explained to me once, but never saw it in print.

UB?
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #242
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,847, Level 94
Points: 23,847, Level: 94 Points: 23,847, Level: 94 Points: 23,847, Level: 94
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Isn't that due to the ZDDP exceeding the ASE's current specs, so they won't "certify"? I had it explained to me once, but never saw it in print.

UB?
This. This is an area that I have zero expertise and minimal knowledge.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #243
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post

UB?
Amsoil explains it as resulting from 1) too much phosphorus (in the form of ZDDP?) and 2) costs to certify each grade. Doesn't mean it isn't a good product, but the certification isn't there.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:13 AM   #244
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
You'd win the lottery twice before having an lubrication related failure using Signature Series. If the API wasn't biased on petroleum base stocks, not allowing base stock swapping procedures for true synthetics, all Signature Series lubricants would be API certified. They all surpass the "minimum" requirements that so many certified lubricants barely meet.

The new Signature Series formulations have API SN acceptable levels of ZDDP. Moly and Boron were boosted in the additive package to compensate. I've proven in the GT500 supercharged engine that elevated levels of ZDDP alone do NOT decrease engine wear. API SN levels of ZDDP were more than sufficient when other additives were present in the formulation.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #245
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,107, Level 27
Points: 2,107, Level: 27 Points: 2,107, Level: 27 Points: 2,107, Level: 27
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=UnleashedBeast;4252480]Preferred Customer

If you would do as Amsoil intended everyone to do, use Signature Series only changing your oil once a year....it would be cheaper than buying off the shelf.

Sorry...while I agree that Amsoil is a better oil overall than Mobil1 simply due to the fact that it's not a Group III oil mascarading as a true synthetic, it isn't cheaper to buy than Mobil1, even with if I change out the Mobil 1 twice as often. Add the below math to the fact that I have to either drive all the way to Fort Worth to escape shipping charges, or drive to Allen to meet my distributor, the math gets even further out of whack.

If you're getting a better deal than this on Amsoil, please hook a brotha up.

"Preferred Customers purchase AMSOIL products at wholesale cost, which is approximately 25 percent less than suggested retail."

5W-20 Signature Series
Suggested retail $10.05
- 25%
= $7.54
X 5 qts
= $37.70
+ $20.00 per year Preferred Customer Fee
= $57.70

Mobil1 @ Walmart
$26.00 / 5 qt jug
X two changes per year
= $52.00
+ $4.29 sales tax
= $56.29
Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #246
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

The better deal is.....

better wear (increase engine life), better efficiency (increase mpg), lower NOACK (lower deposits), less waste oil (be more green), and the convenience of one annual oil change from Amsoil Signature Series.

If you are buying for two or more cars, then the comparison is no competition. Amsoil wins hands down.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #247
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post

Sorry...while I agree that Amsoil is a better oil overall than Mobil1 simply due to the fact that it's not a Group III oil mascarading as a true synthetic, it isn't cheaper to buy than Mobil1, even with if I change out the Mobil 1 twice as often.
I agree. Another thing to consider is the price of filters in this comparison. Amsoil filters are more than twice as expensive as Motorcraft filters, even if you buy the cheaper EA15K51 filter. Assuming that you would use the Amsoil filter if only changing once a year with Amsoil, and the Motorcraft or similar filter if changing twice, your price gap would be greater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
The better deal is.....
In your earlier post, you said "cheaper". Now it's "better deal"?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #248
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,107, Level 27
Points: 2,107, Level: 27 Points: 2,107, Level: 27 Points: 2,107, Level: 27
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
This is the subject where I often differ with most people on automotive forums. This is definitely not to say or assume that Amsoil filters (or any other brand) are in any way inferior, but in keeping with a manufacturer's warranty, an aftermarket filter that doesn't provide adequate flow can cause any number of problems including valvetrain noise / damage, troubles with VVT funtion, and so on. When these issues arise and an aftermarket filter is involved, the manufacturer is not obligated to warranty a repair.

Kia experienced this with 2.0 Kia Fortes, and finally issued a bulletin to their dealerships notifying them that valvetrain noise is likely caused by the customer using aftermarket filters, and replacing it with a Kia filter will rectify the problem. They went on to say that continued use of these filters may cause valvetrain damage and it would not be warrantied.

Even if I do go with Amsoil, it'll still be filtered by Motorcraft. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the sticky parts of their powertrain warranties. Thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Act, you're perfectly within your rights to change your own oil, or have it changed wherever you like, but the oil & filter you choose can indeed affect your warranty.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #249
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I agree. Another thing to consider is the price of filters in this comparison. Amsoil filters are more than twice as expensive as Motorcraft filters, even if you buy the cheaper EA15K51 filter. Assuming that you would use the Amsoil filter if only changing once a year with Amsoil, and the Motorcraft or similar filter if changing twice, your price gap would be greater.

In your earlier post, you said "cheaper". Now it's "better deal"?
The motocraft filter will not flow the same volume as the Amsoil nanofiber media considering equal pressure drop (resistance).

Translation, the Amsoil filter will have a greater level of flow at a certain pressure drop compared to the Motorcraft.

Cheaper over the year, better overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
This is the subject where I often differ with most people on automotive forums. This is definitely not to say or assume that Amsoil filters (or any other brand) are in any way inferior, but in keeping with a manufacturer's warranty, an aftermarket filter that doesn't provide adequate flow can cause any number of problems including valvetrain noise / damage, troubles with VVT funtion, and so on. When these issues arise and an aftermarket filter is involved, the manufacturer is not obligated to warranty a repair.

Kia experienced this with 2.0 Kia Fortes, and finally issued a bulletin to their dealerships notifying them that valvetrain noise is likely caused by the customer using aftermarket filters, and replacing it with a Kia filter will rectify the problem. They went on to say that continued use of these filters may cause valvetrain damage and it would not be warrantied.

Even if I do go with Amsoil, it'll still be filtered by Motorcraft. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the sticky parts of their powertrain warranties. Thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Act, you're perfectly within your rights to change your own oil, or have it changed wherever you like, but the oil & filter you choose can indeed affect your warranty.
What about Fram oil filters? They have the worst reputation for quality in the industry. I've never seen an engine warranty voided due to using one of those.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #250
superspec
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101437
What I Drive: 2002 and 2004 nissan sentra SER spe

FF Reputation: 1 superspec Good Standing Member
in for the gang bang...errr oil debate!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.