My Oil Change Interval Debate Rant - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #101
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think he's saying it burned oil. Check it and top off occasionally if needed, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #102
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnleashedBeast View Post
You are correct, Motorcraft 5W-20 is one of the best entry level lubricants on the market. It simply works and returns great UOAs. Your post does mean a lot, it means that Ford has a winning non-expensive lubricant that has been proven to perform. However, I can't say the same about Motorcraft 5W-50 recommended for the Ford GT, GT500, Boss 302, and track pack GT.
What's your opinion of Ford's recommended OCI (up to 10,000 miles or 1 year) with this product?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #103
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty 5.0 View Post
UB is a good guy. Sold my terminator last year so I don't get on SVT much now. Welcome to FF!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I think owning a focus gives me new challenges with testing to learn more about the new 2.0L direct injected engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
What's your opinion of Ford's recommended OCI (up to 10,000 miles or 1 year) with this product?
I fully support a 10,000 mile OCI in the new 5.0 Coyote and Roadrunner engines because they use an 8 quart and 8.5 quart sump respectively. All of the active additives in the sump will easily make a 10,000 mile change interval.

However, I'm not that optimistic with the 2.0L direct injection Foci engine. It's less than a 5 quart sump. Even Amsoil doesn't support their Signature Series extended drain interval claims when the engine's oil sump is less than 5 quarts. In my expertise, I wouldn't use Motorcraft 5W-20 for 10,000 miles without performing a UOA around the 7,500 interval to verify enough active additive remain to make a 10,000 mile OCI. I would also test the oil again at 10,000 to see how close the oil is to its end of life. Direct injection engines are also rumored to have fuel dilution issues. If the 2.0L has the rumored issues, testing will verify yes or no, this can shorten the lubricants effective life.

Before anyone says, "Well it must be OK because Ford says so." Don't forget, BMW and Mercedes perform 15,000 mile oil change intervals with a lubricant that isn't 100% true synthetic. Some of these vehicles have developed sludge issues and component failure.

*It's possible to increase the Foci oil volume to 5 quarts with only the long version filter.*

This is why I want to add the bypass filtration system. It will increase oil capacity by 1.5 to 2 quarts. (total of 6 to 6.5 quarts) Bypass filtration can also remove fuel and water from a lubricant.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #104
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Before anyone says, "Well it must be OK because Ford says so." Don't forget, BMW and Mercedes perform 15,000 mile oil change intervals with a lubricant that isn't 100% true synthetic.
So are you saying the 15K OCI in a BMW is inadequate? I use a 7,500 mile OCI in my BMW (using OEM oil) just because I have a short commute and drive it hard every once in a while - but it also uses full synth and holds nearly 7 quarts.

In the Focus I was considering halving the OCI as well. Seems like a waste of the nifty Oil Life Monitor, though, lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #105
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhigh View Post
So ... if the oil was $86 .... TWO FILTERS AND SHIPPING wa $48 ???? And you live near the warehouse ???

We're talking about a FORD FOCUS. Mobil One oil, and Mann, FOMOCO, or Motorcraft filters are just fine at less than half the cost.

No thanks. Amsoil makes great products, but overpaying for no realizeable benefits makes no sense to me. Their regular OE oil at $6.10 per quart would probably be fine (assuming the 25% discount) ... but why go through the hassle when I can get M1 at Walmart for $25 a jug, and Mann filters at Rock Auto for $2-$3 ? $48 for two filters and shipping is absurd.

REV
Definitely didn't say I lived close to the warehouse. Texas is a huge state, the 2nd biggest state in our 50 states. The warehouse is in Arlington. I live in Austin. Its about 3.5 hour drive. I had to pay $12.50 for shipping, Texas Taxes= $7.79, City of Arlington taxes= $2.18, Sales Tax= $9.97, Environmental fee= $.12, Oil- $89.25, 2 filters= $22.70.

It may be "just a focus", but I take very good care of my vehicles so I know they will last. I drive 130-150 miles a day during the week and thats a light day. So to me, its worth it knowing that my car is gonna last me a while. The benefits are realizable when you teardown the engine. I plan on building the engine in my Focus when the warranty expires and I have a Mustang or a F150.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #106
UnleashedBeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100738
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 UnleashedBeast Good Standing Member
Quote:
So are you saying the 15K OCI in a BMW is inadequate? I use a 7,500 mile OCI in my BMW (using OEM oil) just because I have a short commute and drive it hard every once in a while - but it also uses full synth and holds nearly 7 quarts.
I'm saying that the 15k OCI for the BMW is greater than the factory lubricant really can support for 100% of driving styles. The OCI would be fine for someone on the highway all the time, but in short distance stop and go traffic, it's taxing the lubricant.

Another issue, owners think, "It's not time to change the oil....I only have 13,000 miles on this oil change." The problem is, they forgot about the "or one year" part of the deal. 18 months later, they finally make 15,000 miles and the oil is spent. Welcome sludge!

Quote:
In the Focus I was considering halving the OCI as well. Seems like a waste of the nifty Oil Life Monitor, though, lol.
I agree, does seem like a waste. I never rely on it anyway. My mother's 2004 Lincoln Town Car is running Amsoil ATM 10W-30 in the 4.6L 2V engine. I only change the oil once a year, as she drives less than 15,000 miles. I have to reset her OLM at least once during the middle of her OCI because the older programming thinks it time. This freaks her out, and she thinks the oil is bad. I reset it, and tell her it's been solved. Her oil is due to be changed next week. There will be a 1 year UOA from it very soon. Stay tuned.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #107
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
Obsessive 5,000 mile intervals at the dealership.
Ditto and I rotate tires at same time.
The works is what Ford calls it.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #108
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_HT View Post
now I see, well, check what car i'm driving,
Sorry, my bad. Since this thread was in the Third Gen subforum, I thought you were talking about a Mk. III FoFo. Carry on.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
Old 06-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #109
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
*Yes, I agree that Amsoil would be "considered" a better, more reputable, product if it was sold in Wal Mart or auto part stores.*
Did you just use "WalMart" and "reputable" in the same sentence?

I think my eyes are bleeding
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 06-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #110
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
There was a Z06 behind me on the on-ramp the other day. I down-shifted to fourth and floored it and watched him fade away in my rear-view...power-to-weight baby...
Oh Duane...
3118/405 vs 3000/160

It's like comparing a Bonanza to a Tomahawk. Yes, they are both airplanes.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks