Fuse 63 keeps blowing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fuse 63 keeps blowing

At the start of the day my central locking system worked fine. When I got home I found that my rear hatch release would not work, then found that the central locking system doesn't work at all. So I replaced the fuse and though "great, everything works now". Then I tried opening the trunk with the key and the fuse blew again. So I replaced it, and it seems to be intact (I was able to lock the car with the remote). But, there's obviously a short somewhere (I'm assuming related to the hatch).

I would just live with it and not mess with the hatch to keep it from shorting again, but it's a hassle to get things out of the trunk from the front. So, what should I start checking first to find the short?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The most common area for wiring shorts of the type you describe is in the sill between the rear hatch and body, in between the two hinges. where the wiring harness leaves the body and enters the hatch via a black coloured rubber "umbilical". Age, wire fatigue and not enough harness slack lead to wiring breaks and consequently shorts.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
The most common area for wiring shorts of the type you describe is in the sill between the rear hatch and body, in between the two hinges. where the wiring harness leaves the body and enters the hatch via a black coloured rubber "umbilical". Age, wire fatigue and not enough harness slack lead to wiring breaks and consequently shorts.
That black rubber piece is completely intact. I pulled it away from the body and the wires look like new. Is this still where I should be looking? I'm thinking maybe it could be something closer to the mechanism as the latch has never really worked smoothly.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
You have to "extract" the harness a bit in order to allow a thorough examination.

Pics here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283719

You can also remove the rear hatch trim and check the condition of the rest of the wiring harness for problems. It is possible the fault is also within the release motor itself. Unfortunately that's a non-serviceable sealed part. To test, temporarily disconnect the wiring connector going to the motor and see if the fuse blowing stops.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
About three months ago I had to repair two broken and three damaged wires in the hatch harness. As my fellow BCer just explained.......you have to remove the hatch trim and disconnect/unclip the harness from the latch and wiper motor and the hatch itself and feed it out of the hatch (you need the slack) and carefully inspect each wire. The damage on mine was about where the harness enters the hatch.....closer to the hatch end of the "bellows". Both bellows' plastic grommets/retainers can be removed (by trial and error "squeezing" them in the right spot......you may already have found this out), and being oval shaped can be passed through the body opening along with the bellows and the harness. I fed the harness down through the hatch and the body openings into the trunk to accomplish the repair. The headliner simply pulls down and away at the weatherstripping enough to give you room.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
You have to "extract" the harness a bit in order to allow a thorough examination.

Pics here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283719

You can also remove the rear hatch trim and check the condition of the rest of the wiring harness for problems. It is possible the fault is also within the release motor itself. Unfortunately that's a non-serviceable sealed part. To test, temporarily disconnect the wiring connector going to the motor and see if the fuse blowing stops.
Got a chance to mess with it today. As pictured in the link you posted there were wires with broken insulation. Wrapped each one with electrical tape and it works flawlessly now. Thanks a ton.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Dc5Dp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120275
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dc5Dp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpork View Post
Got a chance to mess with it today. As pictured in the link you posted there were wires with broken insulation. Wrapped each one with electrical tape and it works flawlessly now. Thanks a ton.
Did you take the hatch off? I cant get my hatch open at all the key wont open it, the button wont open it... any idea how I can even get the hatch open?

Bookmarks & Social Networks