Fog Light Installation - S Model (with Pics) - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #71
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think I might just cut a slot in my covers and do a LED strip similar to the Fiesta.
Those should be able to run just by splicing the parking lights right?

like this:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...&postcount=968

but don't like the look of those exposed ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #72
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
LED's don't draw nearly as much power as incandescent bulbs do, so splicing an LED strip in the parking light circuit shouldn't be a problem.. just make sure to solder the splice so it doesn't corrode from being exposed to the elements, and if you can find it, use meltable wall shrink sleeving on the splice to seal it good. Something like ES2000 sleeving if you can find it. Meltable wall sleeving is basically shrink tubing with a layer of hot glue inside that seals exposed copper so it can't corrode.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #73
thejordan
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddz3 View Post
LED's don't draw nearly as much power as incandescent bulbs do, so splicing an LED strip in the parking light circuit shouldn't be a problem.. just make sure to solder the splice so it doesn't corrode from being exposed to the elements, and if you can find it, use meltable wall shrink sleeving on the splice to seal it good. Something like ES2000 sleeving if you can find it. Meltable wall sleeving is basically shrink tubing with a layer of hot glue inside that seals exposed copper so it can't corrode.
Yeah I know to solder and shrink-wrap ;)

Just want to do a little something to the covers until I can come up with the patience and money to do the full fogs. Then tackle the HIDs and projectors.

Thanks for the quick response Chad.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #74
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Talking Fog Light install next Wednesday by dealer

Hi,
I was already pretty far along before I found this thread. My dealer is helping me put Fog Lights in my 2013 SE Sedan I bought from them last week.

They have ordered the lights, the bezels, the harness, and the switch. They will put it all in for me, and their expectation is that it will go to work. Now that I've found the thread, I know enough that if it won't work, I should ask them to program the BCM to know the lights are there.

I just looked, and fuse slot 75 in my BCM has a fuse already, and the manual says it's the Fog Lights. So, I'm pretty stoked in believing this is going to work!

I'll let you all know and even post up pics when I get 'r done!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #75
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
Hi,
I was already pretty far along before I found this thread. My dealer is helping me put Fog Lights in my 2013 SE Sedan I bought from them last week.

They have ordered the lights, the bezels, the harness, and the switch. They will put it all in for me, and their expectation is that it will go to work. Now that I've found the thread, I know enough that if it won't work, I should ask them to program the BCM to know the lights are there.

I just looked, and fuse slot 75 in my BCM has a fuse already, and the manual says it's the Fog Lights. So, I'm pretty stoked in believing this is going to work!

Sounds like your install should go alot easier than mine did. It is a whole lot easier if you already have a compatible BCM. I'm curious as to what the dealer install of this actually costs, if you could be kind enough to post that info after all is said and done, kinda would like to compare it to my solution cost wise.. Thanks.. and good to hear it should go smoothly for you.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #76
thejordan
Focus Addict

+1 on the info/cost. I can get parts for close to dealer cost and want to do this.

From what I've read, all 2013 SE have the same BCM. I'll double check my fuse box when I hardwire my radar detector this weekend.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #77
2012Tuxedo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95249
What I Drive: 2012 Black sedan

FF Reputation: 1 2012Tuxedo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Then solder the crimp area.. use only as much solder as is needed to secure the terminal to the wire and DON'T get any in the socket part...
WHERE DID YOU LEARN THIS? you dont solder a crimped termination in an assemble, EVER. Per J-STD-001 (the standard for the entire electeronics industry) You either ternimate a wire by crimp or solder, never both. Trust me on this, I have spend the last 5 years working for Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control building/inspecting harness assemblies for missile systems. Never even in class 3 assemblies do you crimp AND solder.

1968 Ford Mustang coupe -Project
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #78
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47691
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Monkeygrits Good Standing Member
Quote:
Hi,

Sweet! Ill be waiting for your results before i finish my aftermarket switch.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #79
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
I am sorry to have to put up a "no joy" report here.

All the parts came in, the dealer installed, and no light. They hooked the unit up to the BCU and it refused to allow them to "tell" the BCU that the fogs were there. They couldn't (or wouldn't) completely reprogram the BCU (as others have stated here) so they refunded me all the unused parts (switch and harness) and only charged me labor for the install of the light units. I have since wired the lights using a tap-a-fuse in the slot for rear wipers (none on a sedan, but the circuit and fuse are there, 15amp) and it is only on when ignition is in the "run" position, so my fogs are like driving lights, which is how I use them anyway. All is fine with me, but it would have been cool to have them be like "factory". Strange company, this modern day FoMoCo.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #80
Tiger-Heli
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12379
What I Drive: 2002 French Blue SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 3 Tiger-Heli Good Standing Member
Quote:
Strange company, this modern day FoMoCo.
Agreed, but if it makes you feel any better, Dodge and GM are at least as bad on things like this, if not worse !!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks