Lowering springs - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #71
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

Posts: 11,309
FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Yes, but "thay" isn't!

So, we drop for lower CG/looks, but then we're adding wheel spacer to push the wheel out to get rid of the tucked look that the dropping created. Will fender rolling be in the future of these spacers on these wheels? Any stronger hubs/bearings out there? I agree 10mm isn't much, and doesn't weigh much either. But you already have the widest tire/wheel combo available and then you're gonna punch 'em out 3/8" more. I wonder how Focusboy and his 19's are doing. Most of the other low or stanced guys also don't have the steering limiters of our rack.

Do you have any pics that could show the NEED for a spacer? You've already brought the tire 25mm vertically closer to the fender lip, and you're considering 10mm horizontally as well. I hate having to roll fenders, it is a serious PITA to do right.
Damn thay, stupid phone.

Rolling won't be necessary at this height. A 1.5" drop with spacers or smaller puffer smaller offset rims probably would. Focusboy would be one to verify that.

There is no real 'need' for spacers, but I will take a pic of my car at roughly the same angle as Zillon's and post both here for visual comparison. That will be tonight after work.

The wider spacing of the wheels will give it a more confident feel, but the actual weight of the spacers isn't what throws off the handling (when too excessive), it's the overall rotational mass in relation to the fulcrum of the spindle. Arm, I believe?

Ok, back to work me
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #72
TORQUERULES
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1083
Location: Ripley, WV
What I Drive: '12 Black SEL 302A; '87 'Stang

Posts: 2,657
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Even with 10mm of spacers on each side, the wheels will looked tucked. Stock not so much, but lowered you will still be tucked.

Here are pics of mine before the drop with spacers (15mm per side rear, and 5mm per side front. My wheels are 17x7 with a +50mm offset).

Before drop:


After drop:


Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
Yes, but "thay" isn't!

So, we drop for lower CG/looks, but then we're adding wheel spacer to push the wheel out to get rid of the tucked look that the dropping created. Will fender rolling be in the future of these spacers on these wheels? Any stronger hubs/bearings out there? I agree 10mm isn't much, and doesn't weigh much either. But you already have the widest tire/wheel combo available and then you're gonna punch 'em out 3/8" more. I wonder how Focusboy and his 19's are doing. Most of the other low or stanced guys also don't have the steering limiters of our rack.

Do you have any pics that could show the NEED for a spacer? You've already brought the tire 25mm vertically closer to the fender lip, and you're considering 10mm horizontally as well. I hate having to roll fenders, it is a serious PITA to do right.
TORQUERULES is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #73
TORQUERULES
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1083
Location: Ripley, WV
What I Drive: '12 Black SEL 302A; '87 'Stang

Posts: 2,657
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
No fender rolling needed. Ford has gone away from the enormous fender lips thankfully. They are as "rolled" as you will probably ever get right from the factory.
TORQUERULES is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #74
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

Posts: 11,309
FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Even with 10mm of spacers on each side, the wheels will looked tucked. Stock not so much, but lowered you will still be tucked.

Here are pics of mine before the drop with spacers (15mm per side rear, and 5mm per side front. My wheels are 17x7 with a +50mm [/IMG]
Do you have a drivers side 1/4 shot?
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #75
TiStick
Boob Whisperer
 
TiStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96514
Location: Los Banos, CA
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

Posts: 5,943
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Damn thay, stupid phone.

Rolling won't be necessary at this height. A 1.5" drop with spacers or smaller puffer smaller offset rims probably would. Focusboy would be one to verify that.

There is no real 'need' for spacers, but I will take a pic of my car at roughly the same angle as Zillon's and post both here for visual comparison. That will be tonight after work.

The wider spacing of the wheels will give it a more confident feel, but the actual weight of the spacers isn't what throws off the handling (when too excessive), it's the overall rotational mass in relation to the fulcrum of the spindle. Arm, I believe?

Ok, back to work me
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
No fender rolling needed. Ford has gone away from the enormous fender lips thankfully. They are as "rolled" as you will probably ever get right from the factory.
Thanks guys. I wonder if the ST is going to have components that help us out? It's already lower from the factory. I don't want much. This is purely a DD for me. I'll get another 'toy" to replace my Z06 later.
__________________
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
TiStick is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #76
TORQUERULES
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1083
Location: Ripley, WV
What I Drive: '12 Black SEL 302A; '87 'Stang

Posts: 2,657
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Do you have a drivers side 1/4 shot?
TORQUERULES is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #77
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

Posts: 11,309
FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Looks good. H&R adapters?

How do you feel about the offset?
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #78
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02
 
_RED_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Fan#: 10712
Location: Orlando, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE sport

Posts: 8,006
FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Still has the broken endlink which is on order (thank god its only $12) and no alignment











__________________
Dyno numbers: 177hp/163tq
Mods: Steeda Intake, STS Kit, Rear sway bar, Lowering springs, Steeda RMM, Magnaflow catback, SCT Tune
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
_RED_ is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #79
TiStick
Boob Whisperer
 
TiStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96514
Location: Los Banos, CA
What I Drive: Like yours, only better

Posts: 5,943
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Red's pics show me what you guys mean. I'll be keeping an eye on you lowered guys and see how things are looking before I make a decision next spring.
__________________
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
TiStick is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #80
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

Posts: 11,309
FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
Still has the broken endlink which is on order (thank god its only $12) and no alignment
Uh oh. I think that by the end of this I am going to wish I had that drop.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
Hatch Nation #161
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.