update on my 2012 ford focus air conditoner warm air problem - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93153
What I Drive: 2012 5 door Focus White

FF Reputation: 1 dcamfam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
update on my 2012 ford focus air conditoner warm air problem

have posted on here....several times....with an ongoing problem like many of you....air conditioner will be working fine.....then all of a sudden will start to blow warm or hot humid air with a terrible smell. This site is monitored by Ford Social Media folks, who contacted me and put me in touch with Ford Customer Service Rep. Im on the West Coast, so Wendy from ford set me up with Capitol Ford in San Jose to check it out. First visit I was told that the car had not been filled properly with whatever they are using instead of freon...topped it off. "and perfomed a dye test" in case there was a leak. Picked up the car and it did it again... Second trip....could not duplicate....so leaks..Third trip same...and was told not to bring it back again unless it failed.
Wendy intervened again, and sent me to Frontier Ford in Santa Clara California, and talked with service manager Brian Light. He introduced me to his technician....who he said was his best AC man. I explained the problem....he kinda laughed saying its not that difficult....there are only a few things that would cause it..its a pretty basic air system...and he would check it out. I gave him all the work orders from the previous dealer, and a stack of printouts from this site.....
Long story short. First diagnosed temperature comming out of vents to begin with....was only blowing about sixty five degrees, and should be about
45 degrees....Second problem was that there was a slight clicking comming from the compressor.....and he showed me that there was evidence of a leak at the expansion valve..I asked if he found it because of the dye test done by the other dealer...He laughed, gave me his special glasses and black light, had me look at the freon filler valve and asked me if I saw a bright yellow substance when the black light was on. I told him I could not see any....he smiled and said "neither could I" Reason: the lying dealer...Capitol Ford had never performed the test so those 3 visits were a waist of my time.

So in 2 hours The Second Dealer...Frontier ford found less that cool air blowing most of the time. Expansion valve leaks, and clicking from the compressor...None of which duplicated the problem I was having....but he ended up Replacing the expansion Valves Replaced The Compressor, as well as the inlet and outlet o rings. Refilled with refridgerent..and sent me on my way...One day delay because he had to get the compressor....ford was gracious and gave me a loaner.

It has been a week almost.....no problem......for the first time i had to turn down the air conditoner because it was blowing too cold. I was like many of you, ready to sell the &^%&(() car...

Well because of the diligence of the social media, Wendy Parsons from ford customer service, and Frontier Ford in San Jose/Santa Clara Calif, the problem was resolved.

If you need to contact me I would be happy to supply you with my vin number so perhaps other dealers can look to see what was done.
Bottom line is that one dealer flat out lied about doing the dye test....wasted my time 3 times.

Frontier ford did all that work, of replacing the parts, even though they never did duplicate my mistake....BUT FOUND THE SYSTEM LACKING. Your not crazy. There is a problem....let them know....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Glad you got it fixed. I hate that you can't just take it to the dealer and expect you are going to get the most knowledgeable technicians capable of dealing with your specific issue.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Your right. What really worries me, is a poor sap that would have gone through what I did, NON warranty at the outragious shop rates they charge. I don't mind paying for quality work, and assume most dealers are honest, but outright fraud, from the first dealer should be dealt with by ford itself I have to say, that I have not heard one word from Ford Customer Service regarding that issue...Thanks for the reply
Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamfam View Post
Bottom line is that one dealer flat out lied about doing the dye test....wasted my time 3 times.
That's the worst part.
I wish this was uncommon, but it isn't.
This is a primary reason I will NEVER buy a new Ford, pay for the warantee, and have to deal with lying service managers that refuse to honor the warantee work.

Ford's quality reputation gets hammered because they have a dealer network that does crap like this, so new Ford owners with cars under warrantee are driving around in broken cars with easily fixed problems, swearing off ever buying another Ford ever, and telling the world about it.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
dcamfam
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
That's the worst part.
I wish this was uncommon, but it isn't.
This is a primary reason I will NEVER buy a new Ford, pay for the warantee, and have to deal with lying service managers that refuse to honor the warantee work.

Ford's quality reputation gets hammered because they have a dealer network that does crap like this, so new Ford owners with cars under warrantee are driving around in broken cars with easily fixed problems, swearing off ever buying another Ford ever, and telling the world about it.
Well credit to the honest ones, and Yelp to the dishonest ones. I hope that Ford takes action against those dealers that lie..thanks for your response
Old 10-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
erictheredguy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105122
What I Drive: 2012 focus SE Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 erictheredguy Good Standing Member
wife just called and said the ac is blowing out hot air! First post on this site ever, mine is 2012 focus se. Amazing car, first new car. But the mechanics at dealership seem kinda shifty anways, so i am going to cross my fingers i guess! Glad everything worked out for you in the end.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheredguy View Post
wife just called and said the ac is blowing out hot air! First post on this site ever, mine is 2012 focus se. Amazing car, first new car. But the mechanics at dealership seem kinda shifty anways, so i am going to cross my fingers i guess! Glad everything worked out for you in the end.
Hey there,

I'm happy to get your case escalated to your region's Customer Service Manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and daytime phone number. I'm on the case!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
To send a PM to Ford Customer Service, click on her name over at the top of her avatar and a menu will drop down that will give you the option of sending her a private message.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
wcaisse1@mac.com
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113936
What I Drive: 2012 silver ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 wcaisse1@mac.com Good Standing Member
2012 Ford Focus Sauna

My wife and I have had an issue with the Focus AC since we bought it new. It's been in the shop a number of times for the same issue. The AC seems to stop working, and turns into a sauna in the car. Very warm and humid. We've tried multiple settings, leaving the Max AC off with recirculate off, Max AC on with recirculate on, Max off with recirculate on, or just the vent on with cold air outside still blows warm air. The heater is not on, the air is moist and warm.
Nobody can seem to fix it, or reduplicate the issue since it is intermittent. We are going to contact Ford Motor Co next, and if they can't fix it, probably start the lemon law procedure.

Bookmarks & Social Networks