Short shifter - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
cdpzevzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10690
What I Drive: 2004 Cd Silver 2.3l zx3

FF Reputation: 1 cdpzevzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Short shifter

A few questions. One what would you use to chop a shifter. A hack saw? Also when you chop it can you take off the reverse lockout or do you need a short shifter for that? Thanks

Team Duratec #813
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
dudemanzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2698
What I Drive: 03' Poop White ZX3 2.3L/ 90' Pigeon Grey Camry Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 dudemanzx3 Good Standing Member
I would use a grinder to cut it, and I also believe you have to take out the reverse lock in order to do it so it would get rid of it. Of course I haven't done this before either.
Custom Magnaflow catback exh w/ 2.5 inch piping
Old 10-31-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Foci_Fosho
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I cut my shifter. I took off the knob and boot. Then placed a plastic grocery bag with a hole in the center over the stick. (this prevents metal shavings from entering under where the shifter boot would have been)

Using a hacksaw, i chopped it 2 1/4 inches and removed the reverse-lock mechanism by snipping the plastic pieces on each side, then unpopping the cable that's attached to the front of the stick, the reverse lock slides out and there's a tiny block that comes out with it. (it's the plastic block that prevents you from getting into reverse with the reverse-lock in place)

I didn't rethread the shaft because i had a new shift-knob that uses 3 allen screws. Buy one like this and you won't have any problems. after you set each screw in place, tighten one at a time While rotating the knob. This will make a tight little groove in the shaft so you will never fear your knob enclosed by your fist making a fast motion as to punch your radio while slamming into 3rd gear...
Old 10-31-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
mustang2focus82
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8223
What I Drive: 2006 Grnd Touring Z

FF Reputation: 1 mustang2focus82 Good Standing Member
I just did the shortshifter mod myself. It works like a charm. I used a hacksaw. Expect to be going at it for a while if your using a hacksaw. I also used a 1/2" tap/die to rethread the shaft and put the stock knob on. Im glad i dont have that reverse lockout thing anymore. Whats the point of it anyways? Im a stickshifter noob and even i dont go into reverse by accident. Youd have to be pretty dumb to confuse 4th gear for reverse. Not only you dont have to fiddle with that lil mechanism anymore but now you can go out and buy any shifter knob and not worry about it being reverse lockout compatible.

Bookmarks & Social Networks