Sound Symposer - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #1
Junk_Poet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120101
What I Drive: 2013 5dr Blue Focus Ti 5 Sp

FF Reputation: 1 Junk_Poet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sound Symposer

Is it possible to add the add symposer to these cars? (non st) I like the idea of having beefier sound feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
Sonicjay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 159010
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 Sonicjay Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk_Poet View Post
Is it possible to add the add symposer to these cars? (non st) I like the idea of having beefier sound feedback.
Never drove or rode in a ST to hear the symposer, but I heard it on videos. With the snorkel delete and adding a Green Filter, K&N, COBB etc filter I get a lot of intake noise that sounds great and sounds like the symposer from what I think hearing it in the videos.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I found the thing annoying in the ST I drove and wished it could be closed if not wanted. I get good feedback in my SE with just a filter and snorkel delete.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Sonicjay
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
I found the thing annoying in the ST I drove and wished it could be closed if not wanted. I get good feedback in my SE with just a filter and snorkel delete.
Yeah I heard that in some reviews. I like engine noise when you get on the gas and Ford does that for their Mustangs since 05 and liked it in my old 05.

You only hear it when you do hit the gas, now if it were constant on the highway that would get annoying. Why I am skeptical about getting a new Catback exhaust so I may just someday go with axle back.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Junk_Poet
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120101
What I Drive: 2013 5dr Blue Focus Ti 5 Sp

FF Reputation: 1 Junk_Poet Good Standing Member
It's funny I have a green filter and I had it in place for about a month. I started noticing some hesitation when starting from a complete start (I have a manual). I figured it was the filter and it sucking in too much hot air or something... In addition, it was a little too loud above 2k. I think it's much louder than the K&N because the side doesn't have to be open all the time.

I switched back to the original filter and it went back to the smooth quiet car. However, this was short lived as well because I did noticed that the whole hesitation thing was not due to the filter at all! It was because I had air conditioning on! A/C seems to strip the power considerably.

Anyone with a manual mk3 might know what I'm talking about. The car has to be revved up a lot higher when engaging the clutch (letting off the clutch) to avoid the car feeling like it's about to stall.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Actually the AC isn't as intrusive as it's been on some other cars I've driven. I notice when it's s on but nothing that alters the drive but yes, a little more rpms is required from a stop.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Sonicjay
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
It's funny I have a green filter and I had it in place for about a month. I started noticing some hesitation when starting from a complete start (I have a manual). I figured it was the filter and it sucking in too much hot air or something... In addition, it was a little too loud above 2k. I think it's much louder than the K&N because the side doesn't have to be open all the time.

I switched back to the original filter and it went back to the smooth quiet car. However, this was short lived as well because I did noticed that the whole hesitation thing was not due to the filter at all! It was because I had air conditioning on! A/C seems to strip the power considerably.

Anyone with a manual mk3 might know what I'm talking about. The car has to be revved up a lot higher when engaging the clutch (letting off the clutch) to avoid the car feeling like it's about to stall.
I have manual and I notice a drop in performance but nothing more then my other cars.

I like the intake sound with the Green Filter.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Quote:
It's electronic so.... I'm guessing no as the base car probably doesn't have a harness for it to plug in to, but I could be wrong.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #9
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Electronic & mechanical.

Valve opens to let intake air hit a diaphram transmitting sound through a tube to the cabin at certain throttle openings. Supposedly tuned for the more pleasant sounds.

Some ST owners are removing them or just unplugging it.

S.R. #275
Old 06-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #10
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Electronic & mechanical.

Valve opens to let intake air hit a diaphram transmitting sound through a tube to the cabin at certain throttle openings. Supposedly tuned for the more pleasant sounds.

Some ST owners are removing them or just unplugging it.
^ This.

The sound is comparable to just removing your resonator, though it's a bit louder due to the tubing and the larger amount of air ingested. Try just pulling that and blocking the opening.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->