Dynoing my Focus - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #81
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
craigsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97985
Location: Fort Eustis, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Posts: 450
FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
I was thinking the same thing, because his numbers about 10HP lower then the avg auto MK3 with those mods

I added a disclaimer to your dyno in the MK3 dyno thread about the heat and no cool down period.
Thanks Man! I was hoping to pull at least 170 HP, but I took the temperature, engine heat soak, and the humidity into consideration and I was impressed. To me, its just more proof that the Focus is a beast.

I don't foresee it getting cooler any time soon, so hopefully someone with the same mods as me will get theirs dyno'd.
craigsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #82
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
craigsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97985
Location: Fort Eustis, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Posts: 450
FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDFOCZ View Post
$20 bucks isnt bad, for all the pulls on my focus (close to 30) I have $200 in the dynos alone not including mods lol
LOL! I wasn't complaining. He told me $60 over the phone, but when I got there we got to talking and I told him I am in the Army and he cut me a deal.
craigsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #83
_RED_
Sonic's MK3 Crew #02
 
_RED_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Fan#: 10712
Location: Orlando, FL
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

Posts: 8,050
FF Reputation: 2 _RED_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I knew your werent complaining, I was just comparing
__________________
Moderator: Third Generation Ford Focus, DURATEC Ti-VCT GDI Performance Chat & Florida regional section
_RED_ is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #84
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast
 
Pretherius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97062
Location: Columbus, OH
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

Posts: 512
FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
Thanks! I put in my info from the Dyno sheet and what the Hygrometer said for the Humidity. I used this website to figure the elevation http://veloroutes.org/elevation/?loc...%2C+TX&units=e

Here is what the calculator put out:

You'll probably want to run the numbers again using some hypothetical better conditions--65F @ 40%, or whatever. But... Allow me to do some speculation... :)

The calculator is telling you is that, in a perfect world, you should be getting 93.2% of your rated HP at your testing conditions.

I could have sworn somebody said these cars pull about 148 WHP stock (I know I know, different cars, different dynos, different climate, but it's the best we have). 93.2% of 148 WHP rounds to 138 WHP stock, in your test environment.

You pulled 152 WHP, which is 10.1% better than than stock. If 148 WHP stock is correct, your number equates to 176 BHP under ideal conditions. So, a "true" 16 HP gain at the engine from your intake, exhaust, and premium fuel.

Seem like it's in the right ballpark? If my 148 WHP stock assumption is wrong and the truth is lower, then your gains are even better than 16 HP.
Pretherius is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #85
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bwill9886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93444
Location: Collinsville, IL
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

Posts: 455
FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
Seem like it's in the right ballpark? If my 148 WHP stock assumption is wrong and the truth is lower, then your gains are even better than 16 HP.
I think we are still in speculation about what exactly the number is (give or take a horsepower) that these things are supposed to come in at for whp in the most ideal conditions.

From all the baseline runs I can remember, people have come up with numbers between 141 and 150. The range is of course due to all the different environmental factors.

So I'd say your 148whp is perfectly reasonable guess for a near ideal condition run. It could certainly be higher or lower, but it's at the higher end of the spectrum, so it's gotta be somewhat close.


Also, thanks for heading to the dyno OP! Always good to have more numbers to compare.
Bwill9886 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #86
TORQUERULES
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1083
Location: Ripley, WV
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

Posts: 2,658
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
You'll probably want to run the numbers again using some hypothetical better conditions--65F @ 40%, or whatever. But... Allow me to do some speculation... :)

The calculator is telling you is that, in a perfect world, you should be getting 93.2% of your rated HP at your testing conditions.

I could have sworn somebody said these cars pull about 148 WHP stock (I know I know, different cars, different dynos, different climate, but it's the best we have). 93.2% of 148 WHP rounds to 138 WHP stock, in your test environment.

You pulled 152 WHP, which is 10.1% better than than stock. If 148 WHP stock is correct, your number equates to 176 BHP under ideal conditions. So, a "true" 16 HP gain at the engine from your intake, exhaust, and premium fuel.

Seem like it's in the right ballpark? If my 148 WHP stock assumption is wrong and the truth is lower, then your gains are even better than 16 HP.
Nice analysis. It shows that you really can't completely compare dyno results from different dynos. But, you can take the numbers for what they are and use the dyno for what is intended for: tuning to see gains or losses from modifications. Dynos are not for racing. Drag strips are for that, and can really show you your gains from mods. Why do you think drag racing has so much/many data, corrections, and factors involved? To narrow down results to the best possible conditions.
TORQUERULES is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #87
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
craigsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97985
Location: Fort Eustis, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Posts: 450
FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
You'll probably want to run the numbers again using some hypothetical better conditions--65F @ 40%, or whatever. But... Allow me to do some speculation... :)

The calculator is telling you is that, in a perfect world, you should be getting 93.2% of your rated HP at your testing conditions.

I could have sworn somebody said these cars pull about 148 WHP stock (I know I know, different cars, different dynos, different climate, but it's the best we have). 93.2% of 148 WHP rounds to 138 WHP stock, in your test environment.

You pulled 152 WHP, which is 10.1% better than than stock. If 148 WHP stock is correct, your number equates to 176 BHP under ideal conditions. So, a "true" 16 HP gain at the engine from your intake, exhaust, and premium fuel.

Seem like it's in the right ballpark? If my 148 WHP stock assumption is wrong and the truth is lower, then your gains are even better than 16 HP.
I agree with zx3matt, Nice analysis! If I am making 176 HP at the wheels, thats incredibly impressive with the mods I am running. And if I am making that, it goes to show how much heat soak and environmental conditions really effect our cars. I would like to have better conditions, so I can see what she is really making for power at the wheels. I am not gonna claim that my car makes 176 HP at the wheels until I have the Dyno graph to prove it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwill9886 View Post
I think we are still in speculation about what exactly the number is (give or take a horsepower) that these things are supposed to come in at for whp in the most ideal conditions.

From all the baseline runs I can remember, people have come up with numbers between 141 and 150. The range is of course due to all the different environmental factors.

So I'd say your 148whp is perfectly reasonable guess for a near ideal condition run. It could certainly be higher or lower, but it's at the higher end of the spectrum, so it's gotta be somewhat close.


Also, thanks for heading to the dyno OP! Always good to have more numbers to compare.
I would agree that 148 HP stock at the wheels is a great number to use for reference. Its the number I am using as my baseline since I didn't have one.

Your Welcome! I enjoy modding my car and seeing the gains and then helping people with the information.
craigsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #88
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast
 
Pretherius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 97062
Location: Columbus, OH
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

Posts: 512
FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I agree with zx3matt, Nice analysis! If I am making 176 HP at the wheels, thats incredibly impressive with the mods I am running. And if I am making that, it goes to show how much heat soak and environmental conditions really effect our cars. I would like to have better conditions, so I can see what she is really making for power at the wheels. I am not gonna claim that my car makes 176 HP at the wheels until I have the Dyno graph to prove it.

I would agree that 148 HP stock at the wheels is a great number to use for reference. Its the number I am using as my baseline since I didn't have one.

Your Welcome! I enjoy modding my car and seeing the gains and then helping people with the information.
Sorry for the confusion. 176 HP at the engine. Still a hell of a lot better than stock. :)

If we believe the 93.2% relative HP figure from the calculator, your 152 in your test conditions equates to 163 HP at the wheels under "ideal" conditions (ideal conditions meaning Relative HP = 100%). In very low ambient temps / altitudes / humidities, you can actually get Relative HP's above 100%, so in theory you could see 165HP+ at the wheels in the winter depending on your climate.

This is all a schwag so take it with a grain of salt. In any event you are definitely showing serious improvement with your mods.

One thing about this that's interesting to me is that it suggests--if correct--that the gain from intake and exhaust on this car is less than the gain you'd expect if you just added the gain from intake to the gain from exhaust separately.
Pretherius is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.