Dynoing my Focus - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 5 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
It also pay's to realize that those systems still utilize the same air induction locations as the box...
The K&N CAI only uses the front grill induction, it blocks off the bottom one though. I am not sure if there would be much gain, if any at all, if you were to use the bottom one though.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
True, I forgot about that. I plan on taking some measurements to replace the accordian boot between the intake manifold and MAF housing, and then replace that with a smooth runner.

I can also foresee the Newmission mod being a future addition, though I will simply remove the block plate instead of drilling it. I see this as being the only way to get more cool air into the box. Or a Steeda kit, with the Newmission mod done in the bottom (it appears possible, someone with the Steeda would have to confirm)...
Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '12 Black SEL 302A; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm glad to hear that those of us who chose to drop in a K&N and modify our air box and inlets (see mine, and other threads on this), are not giving up any power. Remember hat another gent on here made 160whp with air box mods and a lunch box delete...
Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #24
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Ti HB w/Handling Package

FF Reputation: 43 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yeah, though everone seems to not really believe me...eh.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #25
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
I'm glad to hear that those of us who chose to drop in a K&N and modify our air box and inlets (see mine, and other threads on this), are not giving up any power. Remember hat another gent on here made 160whp with air box mods and a lunch box delete...
I didn't think you all that modified your air boxes would give up any HP. You can only improve on it, unless you run the intake tube to the back of the engine for some reason. The stock air box is a pretty good design. I bought my K&N CAI for appearance and performance. I like the fact that it uses a mandrel bent tube and utilizes the factory cold air snorkel intake. If I had a shop and more tools, I would've made my own.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Kind of hard to say you are making stuff up since you have Dyno Sheets or will have soon. I say the naysayers should take their own time/money to modify their own car and use their time/money to dyno their car, to probably only see the same results.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Well, you have to admit that it's pretty hard to believe.

Not saying that I don't believe you, but generally one doesn't associate such big gains with an intake (much less a drop-in filter alone). But hey, you're not the only one making the claim, and there are several dynes floating around to back it up.

For ~$45, I'm convinced enough to at least give the K&N a try. Probably won't spend $300 on a full intake for this car, though.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #28
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
The Beast is scheduled for 2 runs on a Dynojet with the A/F measured on the 23rd of June, so next Saturday. I think I got a pretty good deal at $60 for 2 runs with A/F. Pretty excited about it. I am curious what the beast puts down.

Just in case nobody knows, I have a K&N Typhoon CAI and a FSWerks Race Exhaust. I will be running 93 Octane Fuel, like I have been running for the past 6 fuel ups.
I love my Focus as much as the next guy, but it's pretty funny to hear of one referred to as "the Beast," lol. I'm sure the intake/exhaust combo really wakes the car up, though. GL with the dyno.

BTW, how are you stationed in Austin? The only thing I know of there is Camp Mabry, and I thought that was a Texas Guard post? I guess they might have some AD billets there. Or maybe you're on special duty, like recruiting or something? Austin is my home-of-record and I would love to be stationed there, but it's never gonna happen (I'm in the Navy).
Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #29
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I love my Focus as much as the next guy, but it's pretty funny to hear of one referred to as "the Beast," lol. I'm sure the intake/exhaust combo really wakes the car up, though. GL with the dyno.

BTW, how are you stationed in Austin? The only thing I know of there is Camp Mabry, and I thought that was a Texas Guard post? I guess they might have some AD billets there. Or maybe you're on special duty, like recruiting or something? Austin is my home-of-record and I would love to be stationed there, but it's never gonna happen (I'm in the Navy).
LOL! I call it the beast because of the car accident I had when I got rear ended by the F-150 with the deer guard.

I am stationed at Fort Hood. I make the 62 mile one way drive everyday, except weekends. I love living in Austin.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I'm just going to stick with a K&N drop-in since I'd rather do the exhaust first since it really needs the cosmetic upgrade even if the hp return isn't that great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks