shift or no shift? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Fan#: 56705
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

Points 27,578, Level 98
Points: 27,578, Level: 98 Points: 27,578, Level: 98 Points: 27,578, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Ha, when I was a rookie i looked at the speedo and check my mirrors for downed cones!

I think i only hit the 2nd gear limiter once when i was racing my SVT, and that was at an airport with tons of space. My rule in the Miata when it comes to up-shifting is if the rev limiter bounces more than 4 times in a particular area that will be my up shift point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 128,999, Level 100
Points: 128,999, Level: 100 Points: 128,999, Level: 100 Points: 128,999, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 76%
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodLovesUgly View Post
Ha, when I was a rookie i looked at the speedo and check my mirrors for downed cones!

I think i only hit the 2nd gear limiter once when i was racing my SVT, and that was at an airport with tons of space. My rule in the Miata when it comes to up-shifting is if the rev limiter bounces more than 4 times in a particular area that will be my up shift point.

lmao!!

That sounds like what I would probably do

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
thejsx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91221
What I Drive: 2012 black MT SE

FF Reputation: 1 thejsx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I usually stay in 2nd in most of courses... sometime I downshift in 1st in really tight hairpin otherwise I stay in 2nd. Last course I did had a very fast quatermile long stretch with distanced slalom, I put it in third on my last run, arrived at the hairpin maybe 10-12mph faster than the other runs and entered the hairpin wayyy to fast.. lost all the gains I did with understeer! I miss RWD in these situations!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
pkolator
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73320
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZX3

Points 1,070, Level 17
Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17 Points: 1,070, Level: 17
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 pkolator Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The only times I ever down shift to first are when I spin. It doesn't happen often, but some times the signals get crossed between my hands and my eyes.

When I ran in FSP (3 seasons) I never went up to third or down to first. Either you just hit the limiter a few times and then your slowing for a turn or you just mash the gas and wait for the power to come on and use that time to look ahead and set up for the next sequence. Trying to put a down shift in there is distracting to most people and by the time they figure out where their hands are, which way the wheel is turned and what their feet are doing its already too late.

Granted with some practice you can get accustomed to doing it. But if you watch some of the best drivers in stock classes they get to second and stay there. I've watched multi-time, multi-class national champs run through off-set gate sequences banging the limiter in second and be several seconds faster then the next fastest car. Gear changes can drastically change the balance of the car if not done at the right time.

It also depends on the car too. Some rev limiters are nice and "gentle" and the engine will just happily hang there and spin and spin. Others are rather "violent" and it feels like the car has hit a wall and you expect it to fall apart.
1990 CRX Si STS (autox)
Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
darossi3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83732
What I Drive: 2003, Blue, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 darossi3 Good Standing Member
On my First and latest AX i ran 2 runs in second only, and ran over 2 seconds faster by downshifting into first. But that was only on the hairpin we had after first slolom and into second slolom(guitar shape type course)
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #16
mkiisupra
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 77347
What I Drive: 2004 Screaming Yellow SVT EAP 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 mkiisupra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkolator View Post
The only times I ever down shift to first are when I spin. It doesn't happen often, but some times the signals get crossed between my hands and my eyes.

When I ran in FSP (3 seasons) I never went up to third or down to first. Either you just hit the limiter a few times and then your slowing for a turn or you just mash the gas and wait for the power to come on and use that time to look ahead and set up for the next sequence. Trying to put a down shift in there is distracting to most people and by the time they figure out where their hands are, which way the wheel is turned and what their feet are doing its already too late.

Granted with some practice you can get accustomed to doing it. But if you watch some of the best drivers in stock classes they get to second and stay there. I've watched multi-time, multi-class national champs run through off-set gate sequences banging the limiter in second and be several seconds faster then the next fastest car. Gear changes can drastically change the balance of the car if not done at the right time.

It also depends on the car too. Some rev limiters are nice and "gentle" and the engine will just happily hang there and spin and spin. Others are rather "violent" and it feels like the car has hit a wall and you expect it to fall apart.
+1 to this. Too much time lost for the too little speed benefit. This is a time to work on left foot braking as well to carry speed and modulate the loud pedal as you slow and re-direct for a corner/feature on a course. We usually get 5 runs, so there is usually an extra run in there to try 'a different approach' to see if any major reconsiderations to a particular course yield lower times.

Eric G
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
2000blackzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9744
What I Drive: 2002 SVT Focus

Points 2,568, Level 30
Points: 2,568, Level: 30 Points: 2,568, Level: 30 Points: 2,568, Level: 30
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 21 2000blackzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have hit third once on a very long straight into the banking of an oval, where there weren't cones for security reasons (we don't want cars meeting concrete walls). I do hit the rev limiter (7400) in second a couple times in our fast events of the year. I always hit second in the first straight / turns of the course and stay there. Tom's tune and the HFC do help a lot with torque down low on this car, much better than it was stock.

Example of a really fast course :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUKIzDpMVJ0

I think I shortly hit the limiter 3 times on this run...

Bookmarks & Social Networks