Even Trade: Used SEL for a New Ti. What would you do? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Even Trade: Used SEL for a New Ti. What would you do?

Ok, so I was picking my 2012 SEL up from the dealership today because I had to get my driver side door repaired (crazy lady backed into me in a parking-lot), and I got to chatting with the GM. He's always awesome to deal with, and he was asking me how I was liking my SEL. I told him that I absolutely love it, but I'm STILL kicking myself for not getting the manual because that's what I've always driven (the wife talked me into it). Truthfully, I've had ZERO issues with my DCT, but I always found myself missing the "connected" feel of a manual tranny. Anyway, he told me about a brand new 2012 Ti, 401a, 5-speed that he was trying to move because it was the last one on the lot, and they've got the fiscal year coming up. Long story short, he offered to do a straight up swap for my SEL with 27K on it for this Ti with 114 miles on it. :D I haven't said yes yet, but I'm REALLY considering it. The only thing that I won't be crazy about is having leather seats, but I've always been told how leather is WAY more "kid friendly" for obvious reasons (and my wife is due next March). :) So, fellow Fanatics, what do ya think? I'm sure I sound pretty silly asking because it's obviously a schweet freakin' deal. It's just that I NEVER jump into ANYTHING, so I'm mulling this over tonight and figured I'd post up here about it to get a few other view points. Thanks for stopping by! :)

My current SEL:

The new Ti:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
You shouldn't even be asking us this question. The leather seats in the Focus are great, it's actually one reason I got the SEL instead, for a little cheaper and sacrificing the push button start and blacked out headlights (and nicer interior trim pieces) I got the leather and premium package on my SEL...

But this trade is a no brainer... it's a car with 114 miles and leather seats... AND it's a manual (kicking myself for this too)

JUST DO IT.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
joshuafail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115261
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver SE w/MFT

FF Reputation: 8 joshuafail Good Standing Member
Do it! The leather is really nice, very supportive, and super easy to clean. Think of the keyless start, heated seats, brand new tires, and 27k less miles as an added bonus.

I'd be curious to know what is going through his head though.. no offense, but why in the world they would want a used higher-up trim vs. a brand new top-of-the-line model on the lot is beyond me, especially if they're not making any money off of it.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafail View Post
Do it! The leather is really nice, very supportive, and super easy to clean. Think of the keyless start, heated seats, brand new tires, and 27k less miles as an added bonus.

I'd be curious to know what is going through his head though.. no offense, but why in the world they would want a used higher-up trim vs. a brand new top-of-the-line model on the lot is beyond me, especially if they're not making any money off of it.
I don't know either... but I imagine less overhead to keep the used model on the lot if it's anything like retail... the new model incurs a fee every month it isn't sold while the used one won't but I have no idea how car lots work in that department. The financing is usually a higher APR on used cars, and the chances of the buyer getting the extra warranty is likely higher as well, because it's already used. So... in reality, he's probably breaking even now, and then he stands to possibly gain a little later, or he's just minimizing his losses.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Also, I wish I lived in CT... I'd have jumped on this in a heart beat haha
Sonic Crew #28
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Are you sure this deal isn't to good to be true? I haven't really dealt with the sales staff there but I just got this slimy feeling walking in there through the showroom to get some parts one. Now the people at the parts counter where cool.

Seems like a good deal if that is what you are interested in. Where did the 114 miles comes from?
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
No brainer. Payments stay the same? YES.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macatron View Post
Ok, so I was picking my 2012 SEL up from the dealership today because I had to get my driver side door repaired (crazy lady backed into me in a parking-lot), and I got to chatting with the GM. He's always awesome to deal with, and he was asking me how I was liking my SEL. I told him that I absolutely love it, but I'm STILL kicking myself for not getting the manual because that's what I've always driven (the wife talked me into it). Truthfully, I've had ZERO issues with my DCT, but I always found myself missing the "connected" feel of a manual tranny. Anyway, he told me about a brand new 2012 Ti, 401a, 5-speed that he was trying to move because it was the last one on the lot, and they've got the fiscal year coming up. Long story short, he offered to do a straight up swap for my SEL with 27K on it for this Ti with 114 miles on it. :D I haven't said yes yet, but I'm REALLY considering it. The only thing that I won't be crazy about is having leather seats, but I've always been told how leather is WAY more "kid friendly" for obvious reasons (and my wife is due next March). :) So, fellow Fanatics, what do ya think? I'm sure I sound pretty silly asking because it's obviously a schweet freakin' deal. It's just that I NEVER jump into ANYTHING, so I'm mulling this over tonight and figured I'd post up here about it to get a few other view points. Thanks for stopping by! :)
I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Quote:

As a long time dealership employee, I can answer this. 1, Used Cars are in demand. 2, dealerships have what we call "floor plan". Floor Plan is basically everything the dealership bought from Ford that is on their lot. This inventory is financed and every day that new car sits there, the dealership pays interest on it. Most dealers will go out of their way to move older units.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
You shouldn't even be asking us this question. The leather seats in the Focus are great, it's actually one reason I got the SEL instead, for a little cheaper and sacrificing the push button start and blacked out headlights (and nicer interior trim pieces) I got the leather and premium package on my SEL...

But this trade is a no brainer... it's a car with 114 miles and leather seats... AND it's a manual (kicking myself for this too)

JUST DO IT.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
I don't know either... but I imagine less overhead to keep the used model on the lot if it's anything like retail... the new model incurs a fee every month it isn't sold while the used one won't but I have no idea how car lots work in that department. The financing is usually a higher APR on used cars, and the chances of the buyer getting the extra warranty is likely higher as well, because it's already used. So... in reality, he's probably breaking even now, and then he stands to possibly gain a little later, or he's just minimizing his losses.
Well, I'm definitely glad to hear that you guys are enjoying your leather seats so much! :) My biggest issue with them, frankly, is how bad they retain heat. Other then that, I really don't have any real problem with them.

As for what he's thinking, I believe feta_mgp is correct. It's definitely easier for dealerships to retain AND move used vehicles versus new.

Oh, and i just talked it over with the wife, and, surprisingly, she's all for it. She said that I'd FINALLY have to teach her how to drive standard though. Sounds good to me. :D I do believe I'll be going BACK to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Matthew91188
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116774
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White FoFo SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Matthew91188 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm so jealous of you, I'd be jumping on that deal in a heartbeat.

Bookmarks & Social Networks