'12 Focus Exhaust Tones - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
'12 Focus Exhaust Tones

Being that I'm coming from a 5.9L 360ci V8 Magnum in my Dodge Ram (and most likely going with a Focus), one thing I'm going to miss is the exhaust (flowmaster delta 40). Are the only exhaust options for the Focus the really loud, buzzing noises, aka "fart cans"? Or is there a way (which exhaust manufacturer) to have a throaty/mean sounding exhaust? I realize its 4 less cylinders and liters of displacement, but the question still stands.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
SD_Focus

Fan#: 11575
What I Drive: 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0

FF Reputation: 34 SD_Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
The sound will never satisfy you as a v8 can, but there are name brands that can give you a good, clean tone. 4 cylinders don't have to sound bad. I'll let the '12 owners chime in since I do not have experience with those yet.
SoCal Crew #21
Old 06-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Focus View Post
The sound will never satisfy you as a v8 can, but there are name brands that can give you a good, clean tone. 4 cylinders don't have to sound bad. I'll let the '12 owners chime in since I do not have experience with those yet.
Agreed on the I'll have to live with what I get part. Youtube vids like these do sound surprisingly promising however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC94-...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUeZF...eature=related

The questions then are:
How badly is performance affected?
Can I do this and still be covered under factory warranty?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
SD_Focus

There is supposedly a law that says and warranty related defects can't be voided unless the modification is the cause of the problem. So you should be fine. I did have my focus in for warranty work twice with intake, exhaust, lowering springs/shocks and various other mods installed. No issues.

Performance should be better. A good exhaust kit may gain you a few horsepower. Nothing very noticeable at all. Of course the car will be louder. Gas mileage may decrease if you find yourself putting your foot down more because of it.
SoCal Crew #21
Old 06-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
SD_Focus

Those videos were not recorded with the best quality recording device. Do not put too much faith in the sound you hear from them, or you may be disappointed.
SoCal Crew #21
Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Ionnaeus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100034
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Ionnaeus Good Standing Member
My 2012 is buzzy but I didnt buy it to sound like a hemi nor would any same person expect that. Im sure it can be tweaked like any car.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
OP, there are a number of people on here who have modified their exhausts (myself included), and at least a couple of them definitely do not sound "ricey" (though I guess that's subjective, eh?).

The sound-clips are on youtube and in their threads. Just keep searching.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
The Focus has a much deeper exhaust note than say a Honda Civic SI. I have a FSWerks Race Exhaust. I think it has an excellent tone. But it is loud for some people. I think a Ford Racing Exhaust or Borla Exhaust (same thing), would work for you because it has a deep tone without being loud. There is also a Flowmaster kit out, I have never heard it myself so I can't comment on it. Magnaflow also has a kit out, but its a bit raspy in my opinion.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98205
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTi, United Grey

FF Reputation: 3 BaconZombie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yeah, I'm actually really surprised by how nice the 2.0 sounds with some exhaust modifications. Check out my Youtube videos and Redfocz's videos, too. Just to give you an idea. Just don't compare the Focus to the 06' Mustang GT I have on my page, too.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
4d4jacklee
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50596
What I Drive: 2013 Black ST1

FF Reputation: 1 4d4jacklee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've had the FSWerks race exhaust and CAI on my 2012 since January. It's definitely loudish when you're getting on it, and there is a pretty good drone at the 2,500-3,500 rpm range on the freeway, when tapping, or letting off the gas. I'm seriously considering adding the FSW stealth muffler.

There are a couple of good vids on you tube, one race system on a white 2012 hatch at FSW, and one stealth system filming down at the exhaust as the car drives.

I traded my Mustang GT for my Focus, DEFINITELY NOT the same beautiful v8 sound, but I would recommend the sound of the FSWerks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->