Luxury vs MPG - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
RavynX
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119212
What I Drive: 2005 Acura TL

FF Reputation: 1 RavynX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Luxury vs MPG

Hey all, I just joined the boards. I bought a 2005 Acura TL, 6spd manual about 6 months ago. It's been a good car and I've only had to replace the shocks in it since it was super-floaty (I installed the A-Spec suspension). The only thing that has really been bugging me about the car is the gas mileage. I get 23-24mpg commuting to work and I've gotten a max of 29mpg on highway trips so far. I can eek out 25-26mpg if I hypermile in the city but that really tests my patience in this city and that's saying something for my tolerant nature. The other two cars I daily drove before were a 2006 Honda S2000 and a 2000 Miata, both get 21-23 mpg and they're prepped for autocross and tracking respectively, so I needed a quiet and comfortable daily.

Long story short, I enjoy the luxury of the TL but I just can't get past paying for 93 octane at the pump getting 23mpg. We used to have a 2011 Fiesta SES that got 34 in the city and 40 on the highway, it was freaking awesome. It's a little small for our family (girlfriend and two kids) so I figured a newer Focus would be the way to go.

Running calculations I think the only choice to come out breaking even from selling the TL would be to get a slightly higher mileage 2012 Focus SE. I would really like a Titanium model but that would really set me back on cost. I still need to go sit in and drive both an SE and Titanium model Focus but I wanted to hear other people's thoughts on 1) making the car swap and 2) are the "niceties" lacking in the SE model or is it tolerable?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
RavynX
Focus Rookie

Link to my number crunching spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mc&usp=sharing
Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Billacuda
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114361
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 2 Billacuda Good Standing Member
I have the Titanium and am really pleased with all of the features it has that I would expect only in luxury cars. Can't speak for driving around with 4 people since it's just my wife and myself for now.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I would recommend looking for a manual, rather than the DCT. Not that every DCT is problematic, but if you're hauling your family around in this car it would be my suggestion to buy the setup that is known to be the most reliable.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I'm pleased with everything about my SE Sport. However, I'm not used to driving a TL, and perceptions are relative. I feel that the amount of refinement and "niceities" you get for the price is very high in the MK3 Focus. I actually prefer the options in the SE vs. the Ti, because I have no need for a touch screen or other amenities such as parking assist, rear camera, etc. Give me access to a variety of good music, and that's all I really need to keep me entertained. The MyFord/SYNC system works very well with the voice command interface.

I also would recommend the manual, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
RavynX
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I would recommend looking for a manual, rather than the DCT. Not that every DCT is problematic, but if you're hauling your family around in this car it would be my suggestion to buy the setup that is known to be the most reliable.
Driving a manual is the only choice in my book, so no worries there. =) The only automatic in our family is my girlfriend's F150 Ecoboost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I'm pleased with everything about my SE Sport. However, I'm not used to driving a TL, and perceptions are relative. I feel that the amount of refinement and "niceities" you get for the price is very high in the MK3 Focus. I actually prefer the options in the SE vs. the Ti, because I have no need for a touch screen or other amenities such as parking assist, rear camera, etc. Give me access to a variety of good music, and that's all I really need to keep me entertained. The MyFord/SYNC system works very well with the voice command interface.

I also would recommend the manual, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I have a similar manner. Give me good music and a fun/nimble car to drive and I'm set; though I'm wondering if I got spoiled with the TL. The torque in the TL is nice but I'm used to a lack of torque and having fun in the twisties rather than the straights. Anytime I wanted to use the torque/power the mileage would drop to 21, ugh. The TL has leather, sunroof, power windows (auto up and down on the front), non-navigation, and the previous owner put in an "okay" iPod setup that plugs directly into the radio antenna (a bit glitchy sometimes). I'm not sure if I'd be missing out on the push-start, no-key start, soft-touch material on the doors, leather seats, MyFordTouch (though I hear it can be buggy/cumbersome), and other features. The Fiesta we had was an SES and fully loaded minus the sunroof, still cloth seats though.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavynX View Post
Give me good music and a fun/nimble car to drive and I'm set
Well, there you go--you just made up your mind. SE Sport it is!

Just plug in a 32Gb thumb drive in with well-tagged mp3's, and you're good to go.

BTW, I prefer the cloth seats... They breathe well and are made of a "grippy" material that is great in the twisties.

I drive "enthusiastically" in this car, and easily achieve a 32 MPG average, and 36-37 MPG highway. I'm not in much stop and go traffic, however.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
RavynX
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Well, there you go--you just made up your mind. SE Sport it is!

Just plug in a 32Gb thumb drive in with well-tagged mp3's, and you're good to go.

BTW, I prefer the cloth seats... They breathe well and are made of a "grippy" material that is great in the twisties.

I drive "enthusiastically" in this car, and easily achieve a 32 MPG average, and 36-37 MPG highway. I'm not in much stop and go traffic, however.
haha, I suppose so. I think the one I'm looking at locally does not have the Sport package ( http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4067408210.html ), steelies with hubcaps?

Was there a change in suspension for the sport package or just the wheels and leather shift knob and steering wheel? Are the upgraded cloth seats better than the base cloth seats?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavynX View Post
haha, I suppose so. I think the one I'm looking at locally does not have the Sport package ( http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4067408210.html ), steelies with hubcaps?

Was there a change in suspension for the sport package or just the wheels and leather shift knob and steering wheel? Are the upgraded cloth seats better than the base cloth seats?
Yes. They are covered with different material and are better bolstered. They are the same seats now found in the base ST.

If the steelies w/hubcaps were original to the car, it definitely doesn't have the Sport package.

The 2012 Sport package included (from memory):

16" Alloy wheels
Deck spoiler (Sedan)
Rear disc brakes
Fog lamps
Sport suspension
Sport seats
Leather steering wheel
Leather shift knob

What exactly "sport suspension" means is up in the air. There were varying spring and shock/strut part numbers across the lineup... Sport-equipped cars were labelled with "touring suspension" on ETIS, but I don't believe it makes a world of difference.
Hatch Nation #90
Old 09-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
RavynX
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Yes. They are covered with different material and are better bolstered. They are the same seats now found in the base ST.

If the steelies w/hubcaps were original to the car, it definitely doesn't have the Sport package.

The 2012 Sport package included (from memory):

16" Alloy wheels
Deck spoiler (Sedan)
Rear disc brakes
Fog lamps
Sport suspension
Sport seats
Leather steering wheel
Leather shift knob

What exactly "sport suspension" means is up in the air. There were varying spring and shock/strut part numbers across the lineup... Sport-equipped cars were labelled with "touring suspension" on ETIS, but I don't believe it makes a world of difference.
Yeah, I would definitely need the Sport package then, thanks for the clarification.

Bookmarks & Social Networks