Shift Knob replacement - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Willard Potter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99069
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Willard Potter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Shift Knob replacement

Still working on getting this car to a presentable condition.. I planned on waiting longer for this, but part of it must be chipped and it's starting to cut into my hand a little. Not enough to hurt me, just enough to be annoying when I forget about it. The entire top shell of it isn't just cracked, but missing.

I found one I liked and was just going to buy it. Seems kinda cool, has LEDs and supposedly changes color. It's only $30, the rest were like $20 - $25, the extra for a little bit of novelty can't hurt.

My concern is the reverse lock-out. I've read of people just saying to remove it... A: I haven't the slightest clue how to go about doing that, B: I'd just rather not if possible. I don't need to mistakenly shift into reverse when I intended to shift back down to 4th.... lol I would imagine that not making for a good day.

Any ideas? I can't be the only one here who's had to change it at didn't feel like shelling out for an OEM shifter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Sniperx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99628
What I Drive: 2004 White ZX3, 1985 BMW M535 Dinan

FF Reputation: 2 Sniperx Good Standing Member
I'd love to know as well since mine is the only thing in the interior that isn't perfect and I would like a better looking shift handle anyway. What is a direct replacement on an '04 ZX3 5 speed?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
MisterX
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99801
What I Drive: 2002 White ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 MisterX Good Standing Member
whats the trick in changing out the shift knob for an auto tranny?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Willard Potter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
whats the trick in changing out the shift knob for an auto tranny?
I found this PDF for an 06, but I doubt it's too different from year to year. Automatic shift knobs are sold. Just need to find one with the release button so you're not stuck in park. lol Not sure how well this carries over to the Focus, but I also found a video on youtube with a light explanation on how to use pretty much any shift knob on an automatic. The example in the video is done with a Mustang.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fo..._170018_a1.pdf

http://youtu.be/Q8GLOM-T-bE

Hope that helps.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
MisterX
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99801
What I Drive: 2002 White ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 MisterX Good Standing Member
thanks, i printed out the PDF link and ill have to watch the youtube video, ive got a few buddies that can help me out with this sicne they are more of the wrench heads that i am, but i do appericate the help.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
Willard Potter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

No ideas on getting a replacement to work with the reverse lockout? I'd rather not remove it, but I will if there's no other way. If that's the case, anyone know how to remove the reverse lockout? I have no clue where to even begin.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Sniperx
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard Potter View Post
No ideas on getting a replacement to work with the reverse lockout? I'd rather not remove it, but I will if there's no other way. If that's the case, anyone know how to remove the reverse lockout? I have no clue where to even begin.
I think removing it is a mistake. Plus, when you want to sell it it probably needs to go back to stock. I would love a direct replacement for mine since even thought it works it is kinda flaking on the number thing and I'd love a cool looking shift knob.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Willard Potter
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
I think removing it is a mistake. Plus, when you want to sell it it probably needs to go back to stock. I would love a direct replacement for mine since even thought it works it is kinda flaking on the number thing and I'd love a cool looking shift knob.
I'd settle for an OEM replacement, but I can't find that either. Cheapest aftermarket I can find around that are made to work with the reverse lockout are some of the MOMO ones, but they're like $90 easy.

I don't really care about the reverse lockout. When I downshift, I just use fingers to drop back to 4th. It goes back to the center once it hits neutral. I think I'd have to really try to accidentally go into reverse.

Honestly, I just really want this one replaced. It's breaking apart and starting to jab into my hand a bit if I rest on it. lol
Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
Sniperx
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard Potter View Post
I'd settle for an OEM replacement, but I can't find that either. Cheapest aftermarket I can find around that are made to work with the reverse lockout are some of the MOMO ones, but they're like $90 easy.

I don't really care about the reverse lockout. When I downshift, I just use fingers to drop back to 4th. It goes back to the center once it hits neutral. I think I'd have to really try to accidentally go into reverse.

Honestly, I just really want this one replaced. It's breaking apart and starting to jab into my hand a bit if I rest on it. lol
Copy that, and if the reverse lock is only a true Reverse lockout, as in it ONLY keeps you from accidentally going into reverse when you are trying to hit 5th, and when removed you can go into reverse without some mods, it is OK to remove. But I don't want to do it. I saw those Momo knobs and some are tasty but 90 quid for a shift knob is pricey.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Sniperx
Focus Addict

I did find this one which is Zoot.

from here.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/steedashifter...sexcsvt-1.aspx

Wonder if the stitching will last well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks