Third Party Key? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
dalbeck
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98629
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 dalbeck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Third Party Key?

Hello,

So I was looking around on eBay and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-FO...6420b5&vxp=mtr

I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this and if it breaks easily or hard to program etc. I had an after market remote start put in by ford I would love to find a similar solution to this that could also integrate a button to start the car. Not sure about anyone else but I've had a few occasions now where I've stabbed by thigh with my key getting it in my pocket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
ohnoy2k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97037
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch w/DCT

FF Reputation: 1 ohnoy2k Good Standing Member
looks like a pretty sweet key.

I remember there was a thread about some ford flip keys from asia. it seemed simple enough. just make sure you have all the keys you want to use handy. also make sure someone in your area can cut it
Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The blade in the pictured key featured on the E-bay listing is not the proper side blade key blank, that might be an issue.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
ohnoy2k
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97037
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White SEL Hatch w/DCT

FF Reputation: 1 ohnoy2k Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The blade in the pictured key featured on the E-bay listing is not the proper side blade key blank, that might be an issue.
didn't even notice

get a real picture for the seller!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
dalbeck
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Just found the thread you could be talking about: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266080

This guy got a different key, not sure which one I prefer. He seemed to have a hassle getting the key cut but I have a local locksmith and would be worth it to me.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Bigmike5001
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99809
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Bigmike5001 Good Standing Member
So I didn't do my research first and got the style key that the OP listed above. I went to Lowes, WalMart and Ace. They all told me the blade was the wrong type and can not be cut to match. No luck so far contacted the seller and will be heading to a locksmith on Monday after work.... I hope I can get the blade cut, I hate the OEM key.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
dalbeck
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike5001 View Post
So I didn't do my research first and got the style key that the OP listed above. I went to Lowes, WalMart and Ace. They all told me the blade was the wrong type and can not be cut to match. No luck so far contacted the seller and will be heading to a locksmith on Monday after work.... I hope I can get the blade cut, I hate the OEM key.
Bigmike,

I meant to post on Friday but didn't get around to it. I actually contacted this dealer on eBay and he told me that it will not work with our 2012 Ford Focus's. He only has the key style that is in the photo. It sucks cause I preferred the look of this remote over the other. I will be ordering the other remote style after I can confirm the few lock smiths around me can make it happen.

You should try for a refund!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Bigmike5001
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99809
What I Drive: 2012, Tuxedo Black, SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Bigmike5001 Good Standing Member
Seller will issue a refund, but I am out postage.... it sucks because the auction says it is compatible. I guess I could put a claim in for returned postage, but it isn't worth the time for a couple of bucks at most.... I am going to check with a locksmith before sending it back to see if he can get the correct size blank.... I will update tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
maybe the link to the incorrect key above should be removed? so that people don't order it, only to find it is incompatible later. I mean I'm all about people suffering for not doing their research, but it seems a bit irresponsible to leave up.

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 06-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Meathead
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97158
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5 speed w/ Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 Meathead Good Standing Member
I actually want a key without any buttons at all. I will be getting a remote starter installed in the fall, and HATE the look for two fobs and duplicate buttons on my keys. I was surprised when the dealership did not give me a valet key when I bought the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks