My Focus Rental Car - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
vela123321
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98759
What I Drive: 1987 VW Vanagon

FF Reputation: 1 vela123321 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My Focus Rental Car

I always ask for a Focus from Avis. I got a Nov 2011 build SE automatic. My impression is that SE transmission is TERRIBLE. I'm guessing it didn't get any mods. In reverse up an incline it's too jerky. Not nice.

I do like the steering on the rental car a lot better. My April 14th build isn't my favorite on the steering. I give it just a bit of pressure and nothing happens and then a bit more and then it overreacts and goes too much! The rental car pressure and sensitivity is perfect. Maybe te dealer can adjust mine.

Why couldn't they allow the telescoping steering wheel to extend just a bit more?

Last edited by vela123321; 06-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
uhh thanks?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vela123321 View Post
I do like the steering on the rental car a lot better.
Was there anything changed mid-cycle in regard to steering that you know of?

The rental is an SE (I assume no Sport Package?); what is your car? I ask because, according to an early internal document describing different aspects of the car, mention is made of "revised steering assembly tuning" as part of the sport-tuned suspension included on the Titanium and SE Sport.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I ask because, according to an early internal document describing different aspects of the car, mention is made of "revised steering assembly tuning" as part of the sport-tuned suspension included on the Titanium and SE Sport.
I thought that was only with the Ti Handling package due to the larger 18 wheels...
Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Was there anything changed mid-cycle in regard to steering that you know of?

The rental is an SE (I assume no Sport Package?); what is your car? I ask because, according to an early internal document describing different aspects of the car, mention is made of "revised steering assembly tuning" as part of the sport-tuned suspension included on the Titanium and SE Sport.
I notice the brand new SE (non-sport) loaner I'm in now has lighter steering than my SEL (bought last August).

OP, I'm surprised you got such an old car from Avis.. I work there, and all our cars are less than 6 months old, but most NA ones are less than 3. It's possible that it wasn't driven all too well... rental cars are generally a poor example of the cars, except that you can see which ones wear down quickly.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I thought that was only with the Ti Handling package due to the larger 18 wheels...
The 2012 Focus "Sourcebook" describes the sport-tuned suspension thus:

Sport-tuned Suspension
• Standard on Titanium models
• Included in the SE Sport Package
• Delivers the ultimate in Focus handling performance characteristics with:
– Revised strut and shock absorber tuning
Revised steering assembly tuning
– 16" aluminum wheels with P215/55HR16 tires on SE models

On the titanium with 18" wheels you get the "Titanium Handling Package," which gets "optimized suspension components," whatever that means.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Dracoheart
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99169
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE w/ Sport Pack

FF Reputation: 1 Dracoheart Good Standing Member
Quote:
The 2012 Focus "Sourcebook" describes the sport-tuned suspension thus:

Sport-tuned Suspension
Standard on Titanium models
Included in the SE Sport Package
Delivers the ultimate in Focus handling performance characteristics with:
Revised strut and shock absorber tuning
Revised steering assembly tuning
16" aluminum wheels with P215/55HR16 tires on SE models

On the titanium with 18" wheels you get the "Titanium Handling Package," which gets "optimized suspension components," whatever that means.
"optimized suspension components" that is something i am concerned with as well. I have an SE Sport but when i look up the parts it seems the shocks and struts are the same part numbers through out the focus line. Atleast that is what the parts catalog says at work. I have not tried going to the dealer and checking the part numbers for myself but i would like to see what makes my SE Sport, the Ti Sport, and normal Foci so different.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
empowah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91459
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 1 empowah Good Standing Member
The sport-tuned suspension wasn't listed on the Monroney of my November 2011 SE 203A with Sport Package; I believe they removed it sometime in 2011. AFAIK, only the Titanium with the Titanium Handling Package gets different suspension now.

That said, I'm pretty happy with the standard (touring?) suspension on my car. Body motions are controlled very well and the ride remains compliant.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
I notice the brand new SE (non-sport) loaner I'm in now has lighter steering than my SEL (bought last August)....
Your comment, if it holds for the whole line of new-production Focus' is what I have been afraid of. I think that 'cause Ford and TRW seem to be unable to deal with the as-originally-manufactured (and offered to the public) steering "state-of-tune" parameters (such as steering heft)... they modified it, to attempt to fix the steering problem.

Now I am only speculating, here, but what WAS generally lauded as being a great EPS system, now has been softened (and now becomes an over-assisted and NOT GREAT EPS system) - because they are unable to solve the on-centre / zero assist / "dead-band" issue.

Tell me I'm wrong... I hope I am!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
Your comment, if it holds for the whole line of new-production Focus' is what I have been afraid of. I think that 'cause Ford and TRW seem to be unable to deal with the as-originally-manufactured (and offered to the public) steering "state-of-tune" parameters (such as steering heft)... they modified it, to attempt to fix the steering problem.

Now I am only speculating, here, but what WAS generally lauded as being a great EPS system, now has been softened (and now becomes an over-assisted and NOT GREAT EPS system) - because they are unable to solve the on-centre / zero assist / "dead-band" issue.

Tell me I'm wrong... I hope I am!
I could be mistaken, it just seems a bit lighter... Could even come down to the tires or tire pressure.

If I'm honest though, I do actually prefer the steering a bit more boosted. My SEL has precise steering, but it puts up too much of a fight in tight turning situations... I miss one finger steering. I also find it to be not very linear, and doesn't recenter too nicely. My car is in having some steering related issues looked at anyways though, so we'll see how it is then.

Bookmarks & Social Networks