Very frustrated! - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #31
cma8302000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99700
What I Drive: 2000, silver SE SPORT

FF Reputation: 1 cma8302000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma8302000 View Post
That's what I am going to do...first have the IAC checked but let me ask you this: would the IAC make the car pop, sputter and backfire under the hood when putting car in park with foot on brake and stepping on the gas ( like power braking I guess) ...it does all that really bad when you do that...
bringing the car today to have it checked out...It's really running bad now....will post update when I find out more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #32
RICHARD2238
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88329
What I Drive: 2002 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 RICHARD2238 Good Standing Member
u need to replace the mass air flow only part on the car that would cause so many problems plus the old saying it the mass air flow never tells on it self (meaning no code) unplugg the mass air flow car suppose to idle but will have no power try cleaning but its a 50/50 shot it may help
Old 06-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #33
RICHARD2238
Focus Rookie

replace the mass air flow or check the rubber hose going the back of the intake its sometimes has a small crack that will cause a vac. leak
Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #34
RICHARD2238
Focus Rookie

just seeing if any of this stuff helps
Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #35
cma8302000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Update:: bought a new IAC ..not the problem..next in line is to check the timing and then the MAF which was cleaned but didn't help.....all I can think about is how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ this car is costing me!!! I think I might put a few bullets to it and put it out of it's misery..
Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #36
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
Somethings just won't stand out clearly to fix! My only experience similiar to your problem goes back to an old points and carbuerated ('74 Maverick) that had need of points adjustment and poorly gapped plugs. But that doesn't translate so well to a computer controlled fuel injected car.
You might want to go through pulling the coil off and inspecting the plugs and assume the gap on the plugs is wrong. Clean all contacts and make sure you apply new dielectric grease on all connections. Check the ground connections as well, or run a supplimentary ground wire. Also verify your voltage. Some computers can get very finicky when running on marginal voltage levels.
Its hard (for me) to come up with a likely suspect that wouldn't throw a code. Of course some codes don't light the MIL.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #37
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cma8302000 View Post
Update:: bought a new IAC ..not the problem..next in line is to check the timing and then the MAF which was cleaned but didn't help.....all I can think about is how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ this car is costing me!!! I think I might put a few bullets to it and put it out of it's misery..

Posted via FF Mobile Reseting the ECU and using seafoam didnt work?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
cma8302000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post
Somethings just won't stand out clearly to fix! My only experience similiar to your problem goes back to an old points and carbuerated ('74 Maverick) that had need of points adjustment and poorly gapped plugs. But that doesn't translate so well to a computer controlled fuel injected car.
You might want to go through pulling the coil off and inspecting the plugs and assume the gap on the plugs is wrong. Clean all contacts and make sure you apply new dielectric grease on all connections. Check the ground connections as well, or run a supplimentary ground wire. Also verify your voltage. Some computers can get very finicky when running on marginal voltage levels.
Its hard (for me) to come up with a likely suspect that wouldn't throw a code. Of course some codes don't light the MIL.
Thanks...the guy that has the car now said that after changing the IAC and it not solving the problem, he was determined to find out what the problem is...I will print this out and show it to him to see if he checked all the stuff you mentioned....but I think everything has been checked and rechecked...money is now becoming a major issue...if he can't figure it out...it 's time to sell it as is or just put it out to pasture for a future date...will keep y'all posted..
Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
cma8302000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Reseting the ECU and using seafoam didnt work?
I printed out the steps to restting the ECU and followed them exactly..even drove about 75 miles...didn't help...I did forget the Seafoam tho...I guess when I get the car back and it's not fixed , I will try it, what's a few more bucks , right??
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
spike1360
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82890
What I Drive: 2003, blue, ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 spike1360 Good Standing Member
I don't have much experience working on newer cars so I can't comment on the codes and whatnot, but I had similar problems on a 78 vet and 88 jeep. My tuning was a little off. Loosen the distributor with the car and a/c on and turn it a tiny bit in either direction. See if the idle improves. It sounds like its firing abnormally. Sounds like you checked the plugs and wires, but I really think this is a problem with abnormal firing so check the distributor.

This may seem intimidating but it's a 5 minute job which may fix the problem. Locate the distributor (I'm sure there are pictures on line somewhere. There is a bolt which holds the base of it down. Loosen this and turn. When you find a good spot tighten it back up. You can also do this with a timing light but I never understood all that. I've gone with trial and error and it works pretty well.

Good luck

P.S. If anyone reads this and feels I have mislead her please let me know. It's possible I'm way off, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Also, check and make sure all the wires and tight on the distributor. Got my car back from the mechanic one day and he told my engine was shot. Running real bad. Popped the hood and one of the distributor wires wasn't on all the way . I'll try not to vent about my hatred for that mechanic

Bookmarks & Social Networks