[2001 Ford Focus ZX3] Thumping/Popping noise while driving - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Oblivion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92148
What I Drive: 2001 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Oblivion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[2001 Ford Focus ZX3] Thumping/Popping noise while driving

Hello.

For the better part of 4 weeks, there has been a very disturbing 'thump' (or what could sound like a muffled 'pop') noise, that feels like it's coming from directly under the driver side floorboard.
It also sounds like it's coming from the passenger side (or is having a 'drum-effect' within the glove-box compartment).

There also appears to be a secondary issue that is completely separate, but has occurred at the exact same time. There's a (as described in a video) 'bag of marbles' rolling constantly in the front right (passenger) side area.

The thumping/popping/"strange noise" appears to quit (or become extremely quiet at least), when making right hand turns only. Very minute ones even. Left hand turns or driving straight do not affect it.
Turning to the right, however, does not affect that 'bag of marbles.' These noises appear the moment the vehicle is in motion.
If you move slowly, the 'bag of marbles' turns very slowly. It is after one tire iteration that you can hear it.

I've been told it's more than likely a CV-joint/axle/half-shaft (nicknames?) and/or the wheel bearing.
As far as the CV joint goes: The rubber breathing boot has a metal pipe (very thin one) that has been off for an unknown amount of time. I put it on, but it pops itself out somehow.

The front right passenger sides tire can wobble maybe an inch or more (grabbing it by the "6 and 12 o'clock" positions, and putting pressure on it).
If you try to wobble it from left-to-right: It doesn't move so much.

Breaking/Accelerating/Deaccelerating do not affect it. The thumping is still there. Being in gear or neutral does not affect it. The thumping is still there. The speed (RPMs/velocity) does not affect it either. It's always there when in motion.

Any ideas on how to make a sure-fire identification on both? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 64 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Symptoms point straight at wheel bearing, but the missing clamp (that "pipe piece") on the CV boot will eventually cause that to fail as well.

Do both at once to save $ and aggravation....

Luck!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Hello.

For the better part of 4 weeks, there has been a very disturbing 'thump' (or what could sound like a muffled 'pop') noise, that feels like it's coming from directly under the driver side floorboard.
It also sounds like it's coming from the passenger side (or is having a 'drum-effect' within the glove-box compartment).

There also appears to be a secondary issue that is completely separate, but has occurred at the exact same time. There's a (as described in a video) 'bag of marbles' rolling constantly in the front right (passenger) side area.

The thumping/popping/"strange noise" appears to quit (or become extremely quiet at least), when making right hand turns only. Very minute ones even. Left hand turns or driving straight do not affect it.
Turning to the right, however, does not affect that 'bag of marbles.' These noises appear the moment the vehicle is in motion.
If you move slowly, the 'bag of marbles' turns very slowly. It is after one tire iteration that you can hear it.

I've been told it's more than likely a CV-joint/axle/half-shaft (nicknames?) and/or the wheel bearing.
As far as the CV joint goes: The rubber breathing boot has a metal pipe (very thin one) that has been off for an unknown amount of time. I put it on, but it pops itself out somehow.

The front right passenger sides tire can wobble maybe an inch or more (grabbing it by the "6 and 12 o'clock" positions, and putting pressure on it).
If you try to wobble it from left-to-right: It doesn't move so much.

Breaking/Accelerating/Deaccelerating do not affect it. The thumping is still there. Being in gear or neutral does not affect it. The thumping is still there. The speed (RPMs/velocity) does not affect it either. It's always there when in motion.

Any ideas on how to make a sure-fire identification on both? Thanks.

I really hope your measurements are way off. That's a lot and well past the point of a safety concern.

Replace the C-V Shaft.
Replace the Ball Joint - it's easiest to replace the entire control arm.

IMHO, replacing parts in pairs is a best practice. A good part in combination with a worn one will put more stress on the worn part and you'll be replacing it shortly anyways. I like even/predictable ware.
So I'd replace both C-V Shafts and both front control arms, and the other Sway Bar Endlink.

Bookmarks & Social Networks