Very frustrated! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
cma8302000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99700
What I Drive: 2000, silver SE SPORT

FF Reputation: 1 cma8302000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Very frustrated!

ok so I have a 2000 se sport so carfax calls it...2.0/ 16 valve zetec / DOHC/ power windows, door locks and mirrors...it has an issue no one can seem to figure out...first of all it throws absolutely no codes.....it has a MAJOR hesitation, bucking, jerking problem under 2000 rpms...once past that point runs fine..If the A/C is on, it will stall out if going slow and will stall if at an idle....I've changed the tps, spark plugs, fuel filter, Ign. coil, cam shaft sensor and crank shaft sensor.....what could it possibly be?...The fuel delivery module was replaced as per the recall....gas mileage is still pretty decent...the alternator went and I just had it replaced and I was hoping by some miracle that may have been the problem...this issue has been going quite some time and I don't think I can go another summer with no A/C here in GA where it's already in the 90's...i was told maybe the Idle Air control...any thoughts on that part or anything else it could be?...I've already put way more into the car then I paid for it and can't keep doing it ...hoping it's something so simple everyone just over looked itů
Thanks in Advance....Colleen

one other thing I forgot to mention...if I put it in drive , keep my foot on the brake and step on the gas, it sputters and pops and backfires under the hood..Not sure if this issue is related to the one above or something totally different.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Svt_kid
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94202
What I Drive: 2004 Silver zx5 Svt

FF Reputation: 1 Svt_kid Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Try cleaning the idle air control with carberator cleaner along with the tb. They tend build up a bunch of gunk.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
yea start there with the IAC first
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 06-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
cma8302000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok...thanks..I will give it a shot and let ya know the outcome...
Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
What brand sparkplugs?
Motorcraft are recommended and tend to be the best option.

I wouldn't think anything you've replaced would have any bearing on the problem. Not sure who told you to replace all those things but, I would have more caution listening to them.

Has the A/C been serviced?
If not, it might have some bearing of the 'sputter'. Low system pressure can cause the compressor to cycle more often. Possibly often enough that the IAC can't compensate fast enough.

Backfiring and such sorta sounds like you may have a vacuum leak or the cam timing may be off. Has the timing belt been done?
It's possible whoever did the work didn't get it quite correct. This is something you can check yourself rather easily. Simply bring #1 to Top Dead Center, remove the valve cover and see if the slots in the drivers side of the camshafts line up. If they don't, cam timing is off and will need to be fixed.

Also, one of the sponsors has a scan tool loaner program that you might want to look into. 1turbofocus is his screen name and there is a thread floating around about his program, Xcal loaner program in the search box should turn it up. It's free professional help and well worth your time.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
What brand sparkplugs?
Motorcraft are recommended and tend to be the best option.

I wouldn't think anything you've replaced would have any bearing on the problem. Not sure who told you to replace all those things but, I would have more caution listening to them.

Has the A/C been serviced?
If not, it might have some bearing of the 'sputter'. Low system pressure can cause the compressor to cycle more often. Possibly often enough that the IAC can't compensate fast enough.

Backfiring and such sorta sounds like you may have a vacuum leak or the cam timing may be off. Has the timing belt been done?
It's possible whoever did the work didn't get it quite correct. This is something you can check yourself rather easily. Simply bring #1 to Top Dead Center, remove the valve cover and see if the slots in the drivers side of the camshafts line up. If they don't, cam timing is off and will need to be fixed.

Also, one of the sponsors has a scan tool loaner program that you might want to look into. 1turbofocus is his screen name and there is a thread floating around about his program, Xcal loaner program in the search box should turn it up. It's free professional help and well worth your time.

X2!! Also check your pcv/hose and booster hose, they collapse over time.
Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Do a search and see if a local member has a xcal so you can do me a datalog , Sounds like a fuel issue

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
cma8302000
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

A local mechanic who I've been going to for years changed all that stuff for me...AND he changed the timing belt for me...but I don't remember having this problem right after he changed it a few years back..this has been going on now for the past year...anyway, I will get second opinions from now on....I do remember someone saying it could be timing but then I also heard if it was the timing it would run bad all the time...UGH!! I AM SO CONFUSED! especially cause I really don't know much about cars....I will print out your response and see if my brother can check it out for me...first though, I will try the easy approach and clean the IAC if I can find it...I have to try and find a picture of where it is... <sigh>....thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Do a search and see if a local member has a xcal so you can do me a datalog , Sounds like a fuel issue

Tom
By fuel issue you meant fuel filter? Since it is under 2,000 rpm's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma8302000 View Post
A local mechanic who I've been going to for years changed all that stuff for me...AND he changed the timing belt for me...but I don't remember having this problem right after he changed it a few years back..this has been going on now for the past year...anyway, I will get second opinions from now on....I do remember someone saying it could be timing but then I also heard if it was the timing it would run bad all the time...UGH!! I AM SO CONFUSED! especially cause I really don't know much about cars....I will print out your response and see if my brother can check it out for me...first though, I will try the easy approach and clean the IAC if I can find it...I have to try and find a picture of where it is... <sigh>....thanks
IAC is on the bottom of the intake manifold although I don't think that's the culprit.
Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Ya check the PCV hose, those are a known issue. Was the battery changed or checked? Maybe check your battery connections. Make sure your intake system is clean. Take out the MAF sensor and spray it with MAF cleaner. Make sure the connection is good too. I assume its had an oil change. If non of that works, maybe run a carbon cleaner through your fuel tank and your engine, like Seafoam. Keep us updated Colleen. The focus really is a goodcar and so much fun to drive. People love them, we would love to help and see you driving your car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->