The TICK build thread - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108491
What I Drive: 2002 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 2 200two-zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Got the header welded up.

Use a MIG welder with Argon to go the welding. While welding the header patch the setting was a bit hot so did blow through a few small areas. was able to weld up the holes and used my Oxygen Acetylene torch to reheat and flow the weld to require less grinding.

I was able to get the EGR bung flown quite nicely and requires no real grinding. Could not get the patch as nice looking so has required more grinding.

I got the patch welded up on to the top side to take care of the large hole. I still have a little bit of grinding. that can be seen on the first image. I also need to grind down the inside, runner a little where the patch went. The two locations where I blew through the header has some blobs of weld on the inside that I want to grind down. Need to get one of the flex attachments to a dremmel so i can get the 3-4" into the runner and grind it down.

Unfortunately the oil pan was not as good.... it was fine when I did the MIG welding but worried that I did not have good flow or completely sealed off between the bung and the flange I think I ruined the pan.

I think I overheated the metal while I was flowing the metal. After getting the "slag" off I found the following.

I don't think this is salvageable. In my free time I may try to weld it up. But I plan on getting a pan from Tom. I think this welding may need to be done by a TIG or someone with a lot more experience than my self.
Very nice thread also nice job on the build you'll surely enjoy this engine
I am wondering what the bung is for on the oil pan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #42
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thanks!

Bung on the oil pan is for an oil return feed so when I eventually turbo it.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108491
What I Drive: 2002 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 2 200two-zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Thanks!

Bung on the oil pan is for an oil return feed so when I eventually turbo it.
Ok that's what I was thinking but I try not to ass~u~me lol
It was a good try tho you'll get it
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #44
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Well that's also what I get when trying to use a rose bud cutting tip to do braising. Along with using unknown rods that I inherited along with the welding setup. Will most likely just leave the MIG weld alone next time.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #45
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Got a new oil pan from a local member... there was some surface rust so after getting the hole for the new bung I decided to tackle the rust. I may have gotten a little carried away... its to bad that the pan is steel, it all polished up, perhaps I should just clear coat it?

Tax returns are done and getting back more than expected, so will be using that to take care of some more of the engine rebuild to get a number of things done.

Plans with tax returns:
Get more POR-15 paint
Will be getting wheel bearings pressed out, and use POR-15 to paint knuckles.
Get bung on oil pan professionally TIG welded and paint with POR-15
Get Titanium Exhaust wrap and silicon spray to wrap header
ARP Head studs

Plans with a 3rd pay check in May:

Pulley Kits (all new belts, tension and idler pulleys)
ARP Cam Bolts
Hatch Nation #42

Last edited by Magus2727; 02-17-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #46
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Ordered the ARP Head Studs. Will have those on Tuesday. Thank you C-F-M.

Ordered POR-15 paint (1 Pint - Black) have it on Friday of next week

Got the bearings pressed out and working on cleaning up the knuckles. Spent a good 3-4 hours with the wire wheel and rust remover. Got them cleaned up and they are ready for paint when I get it next weekend. and then in 2 weeks have the bearings pressed back in with new Timken bearings and new spindles.

Got the Bung TIG welded in. Had enough paint to paint the inside of the pan where the heat bubbled the powder coat.

Going to Auto Rama tomorrow might get some ideas or find shops that can help with my build.

Will have to get the exhaust wrap at a later date when I got more $$$
Hatch Nation #42

Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #47
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Got the painting done early.

Plan on getting a sheet of the silver/gold reflective material with the pressure sensitive adhesive on the other side. To put that in the small section of the pan that the exhaust routes directly under.

I will have to update this post with my "clean" knuckles. I spent a good deal of time with a wire brush and rust remover. Need to clean up the mounting features and the mask them off in preparation to the paint.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #48
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Got more paint last week and preped the front knuckles:

Before Paint:

After paint:

The chili cans were just the perfect diameter and only can in the pantry...

The shop that i use to do my machine work is closed on Saturday and with me doing the painting on Friday, it will be next Friday when I am able to get the new bearings and spindles pressed in.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #49
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

I sold some old school books back to Amazon, so was able to get some stuff early....

Got Gold foil to line the oil pan where the exhaust routes under. I will be wrapping the flex pipe and cat pipe with exhaust wrap also. so this is a little extra to just try to prevent heat soak while at idle.

Got a fiber glass kit to attempt to patch / repair my front bumper along with doing the mod to install two gauge locations in the "coin" tray. I already have the 2" PVC. So I can work on this while I am waiting on other things.

Got a 2" x 50' roll and a 2" x 15' roll of DEI titanium to wrap the header along with the stainless steel wire ties. Whats the best way to make sure I can get a good tight wrap on the header? any way to attach it to something? I do have the motor out I can mock up the head on the block and attach the exhaust manifold and work on the wrap attached to the motor but out of the car....

I also was able to get the bearings and hubs installed in the knuckles faster than expected. I believe I still need to adjust the retaining clip to make sure the opening is in the correct location.

Hatch Nation #42

Old 03-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #50
zx360
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
Good to know I'm not the only one who ones to crazy lengths to clean and make parts people hardly ever see look great!

instagram @360DSGNS

Bookmarks & Social Networks