Infra-Red Focus RS replica/conversion build! - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #151
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicskate View Post
Are you planning on painting the whole car yourself?

Have you painted before?
I'm painting all but the roof, hood, and a-pillars (will blend above the door between the jam and rain rail..... fading in before reaching the windshield).

I'll be painting the hood at a later date because I have some pretty substantial modifcations planned for it.

I HAVE painted before, but never a whole car. I'm not nervous about it, I now have all the proper equipment to handle the job, I just plan to do multiple lighter coats to build a nice, deep, flat paint surface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #152
sicskate
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102301
What I Drive: Peugeot

FF Reputation: 1 sicskate Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I look forward to seeing the next update :)
Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #153
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicskate View Post
I look forward to seeing the next update :)
come back in about 8hrs lol. I get out of work in an hour and I'll be getting straight into it.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #154
zolemite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36933
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S 2.0 5mt

FF Reputation: 1 zolemite Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice build. Coming along nicely
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #155
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

OK, so it's almost 4:30am right now. I come bearing BAD, and GOOD news......

Before reading ANY further, prepare yourself. This update, will be putting all previous updates to absolute shame.

So, I came home from work, and my buddies Nick, Luke, and Chris all stopped by to lend a hand in various tasks. Chris came by with my headlights totally refurbished (Came out STELLAR!)

Luke and Nick helped me push the car out of the garage, clean up, wet the floor, and set up to paint the hatch and bumpers. This is where things went downhill.

I started out by spraying sealer on the hatch. It Fisheye'd. BAD. So I decided that's not getting paint tonight. Move on to the bumpers. I was excited to use my new DeVilbiss gun for base/clear....and I neglected to scuff and prep-all the sealer on the bumpers......yeah, the paint lifted. BAD. @#$%^&*

"YAY! Look how good they're coming out! WAIT.....WHAT DAFUQ?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Now both bumpers need to be TOTALLY sanded back down and start all over with sealer/paint/clear :(

So, I did some swearing, some kicking and throwing of objects nearby, and punched the cabinets. Then I took a deep breath and sat down. Nick started blocking down the driver rear quarter in the driveway and Luke ran for a pizza. Feeling pretty beaten, I just kinda didn't feel like doing anything else. Chris and Nick went on their way around 7pm or so.

But hold on to your hats folks. Pirite offered to stick around (poor fool). What happened next is the type of stuff legends are made of. We decided that we weren't losing this battle with paint today.

Luke suggested we at least finish blocking the quarterpanels. So we did. Now, I don't know WHY I got the crazy idea in my head, but at this point it's about 10pm. I look at luke with a bit of a grin and ask....."wanna stay up late??" he goes "Oh GAWD, why??"

"Let's pull the car in and paint the whole damn thing. TONIGHT."

We rolled the car in the garage, wet the floor, scuffed the doors, bagged the front end.....anddddddd

I PAINTED THE WHOLE M-F'ING CAR BISHEZZZZZZZ!!!!!!111!!!1!!!1!1

Quarter's after blocking:

Getting my equipment set up

doors scuffed, car masked/bagged:

OH SNAP! Spraying sealer at about 1am

Then, I started spraying the Dupont Chromabase :)

MAN OH MAN do I LOVE my DeVilbiss :)

After two LIGHT coats:

Then I came back and did two HEAVY coats of base, followed by clear (excuse pics if they are out of order, I can't tell by thumbnail which are before or after clear):

SO, BIG BIG thanks to Luke for sticking around, Chris for doing a phenomenal job saving my headlights, Checko and his buddy Derrick for starting to block the quarters and prepping various things tonight, and the dear lord baby jesus lyin' in his manger for watching over us in our quest for decent amateur paintwork.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #156
Rudel
FF's Quadriplegic!

Fan#: 13465
What I Drive: 2.3 ATX-RSVT

FF Reputation: 15 Rudel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
That's the spirit! Lookin' good!

Part III: Install Handicap Driving Controls
Ma Cah: http://imgur.com/a/TuyYL
Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #157
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6, 02 ZTS

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
It looks like it has some oil contaminants on the primer I had issues with that on my hood when I painted my old integra way back when. It pain to half to redo it. They sell some cleaning agent you can use on the primer to clean up any oil and/or dirt. Looks great so far though!

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #158
Now534
Focus Addict

Fan#: 76549
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

FF Reputation: 6 Now534 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
In your most recent post is that purple gun the harbor freight special with the gold knobs? What have you used that on? I have one but I didnt use it to much also what does wetting the floor do? Keep dust from rising?

Sent from my SCH-R930 using FF Mobile
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #159
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
After the early disappointments, it is truly amazing that you still continued to chronicle this epic build for all of us to see. Thank you. I love how you tell everything straight, the good and the bad. Job well done!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #160
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren View Post
It looks like it has some oil contaminants on the primer I had issues with that on my hood when I painted my old integra way back when. It pain to half to redo it. They sell some cleaning agent you can use on the primer to clean up any oil and/or dirt. Looks great so far though!
the cleaner you speak of is called prep-all (which I mentioned I had forgotten to use on the bumpers....I've used it everywhere else) I've also got oil/water filter-seperators on both my guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now534 View Post
In your most recent post is that purple gun the harbor freight special with the gold knobs? What have you used that on? I have one but I didnt use it to much also what does wetting the floor do? Keep dust from rising?
The purple gun is in fact a harbor freight special I bought on sale for $12. I used to use ONLY harbor freight guns, but lately they're garbage. I have 4 in a row that found a way to leak whatever I had mixed up in the cup to spray.....it would leak down out of seemingly nowhere and I would all of a suddn notice once it dripped right into my paintjob. DOH! This is the 5th gun in a row I made them swap out/return for me and it seems to be holding up. I use it only for primers so that my DeVilbiss doesn't get contaminated and I can keep it for only base/clear.

Yes, wetting the floor is to keep dust from kicking up, and also as the paint/overspray settles it sticks in the water instead of creating dust that COULD be kicked up into your paintjob.

Also, before work this morning I took a look at how it settled overnight (well, 3hrs lol)......eh, not 100% about it, but it'll be ok after some work. something flew into it right on the ledge of the top of the passenger quarter (along the bottom of where the quarter window goes) and I'm going to have to sand it and touch it up with a little paint and spot-clear. It's also way more orange-peely than I wanted it to be, but I guess that just means more wetsanding and buffing.

Bookmarks & Social Networks