Infra-Red Focus RS replica/conversion build! - Page 11 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #101
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

Points 9,927, Level 66
Points: 9,927, Level: 66 Points: 9,927, Level: 66 Points: 9,927, Level: 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthzx3 View Post
so why are you taking the rear windows out?
Because the driver rear quarter was damaged by the previous owner, and when it was repaired they didn't remove the glass.....the paint had started peeling away from the edge against the glass....if you don't remove the glass, the paint will have an edge and peel away over time, especially since wax tends to build up and hide back under the glass.

The proper way to do a paintjob is pull the glass, paint, then glue the glass back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #102
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

Points 6,323, Level 51
Points: 6,323, Level: 51 Points: 6,323, Level: 51 Points: 6,323, Level: 51
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
yeah I've had that happen to me twice, such a pita to fix, and also to do correctly the first time. so I guess just have one pita to deal with from the beginning! ha

nice work so far, been watching this closely
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #103
stealthzx3
Enthusiast

Fan#: 94260
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3 SVT, 2001 Black ZX3

Points 11,295, Level 70
Points: 11,295, Level: 70 Points: 11,295, Level: 70 Points: 11,295, Level: 70
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 10 stealthzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
do you install the glass yourself then? and taking out the windshield?

2003 EAP SVT #2752
Old 08-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #104
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthzx3 View Post
do you install the glass yourself then? and taking out the windshield?
Yes I'll be installing the glass myself...with the windsheild you can just remove the rubber trim around it and leave the glass in and use a foam tape to create whats known as a "soft edge" meaning the thickness of the paint tapers off as it gets close to the glass so that you don't run into that issue. Plus once the rubber is back in the edge is protected, unlike the rear quarter glass. I REALLY SHOULD remove the glass from the hatch to paint that as well, but I'm not going to. If the paint chips/peels I'll just start over on a fresh hatch as this one had a bunch of rust already infecting it.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #105
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
UGH, I'm REALLY getting burnt out on this thing. Every time I go to work on it with a list in my head of things I plan to get done, I get about half of the list done. Luke and Nick came over yet again to lend hands.

Nick went ahead and removed all me weather stripping and trims from the doors, and bagged the window openings for me

Luke went around and removed all the adhesive tape from where the trims were, and I set him up to cut some strips of sheetmetal for me so I could connect the inner fender to the new quarterpanel.

once luke cut the strips for me I did this:

hammered a flange on one end, made releif cuts, and drilled holes for pop-rivets

then I set the strips into the wheelwell and marked where all the holes ended up, then came back and drilled the holes through (all from the back obv.)

Then I used a countersink bit on the outside of each of the holes to recess the rivets so they'll be hidden by fusor and bodyfiller later.

I started to repeat that procedure on the other side, but I only measured the driver side and assumed I had cut them both in the same spot. I did not. PISS. it was already 9:30 so I didn't want to be running an angle grinder and pissing off the neighbors so I called it a night.

Other things of note:

Everytime I block out the driver fender I find a new blemish or two that needs taken care of. I blocked and primed it yet again tonight, and found a couple more defects that I have to take care of again before it's ready for molding.

I haven't even touched the passenger fender since I mocked up the two halves. I have decided that I'm going to get the inner fender strips all ready to go and the passenger fender ready to go and bond them all at once so I don't waste any of the panel bond by having it harden in the nozzle. I'm hoping I can at least get the strips and fender bonded tomorrow night and the driver fender hopefully DONE.

I'm considering finishing everything besides the front fenders and using the hybrid fenders for the rest of the season unpainted to save time and get some miles on it before winter. The way I see it, I have at least 2-3 days worth of work just to get the passenger hybrid fender ready to mold. Then if I'm going to make the molds, that's a day. Then if I want to make fresh full fiberglass fenders that's another day minimum. Then those will need a day or two of bodywork to prep for paint. That's nearly a week just to do fenders, YIKES.

I still have to remove the windshield, rainguard trims, and address any imperfections in the doors and roof, not to mention the remaining bodywork on the rear quarters. BOY am I stressing. All this plus my father is calling me literally every day harping on my to get going on some of the bodywork for the challenger. He's taking it to a picnic saturday... so I have to find time to fix a few dents in the spare hood, block that down, and get it at least in black primer-sealer by then.

Yeah.....I'm d....
Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #106
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
got an assload done tonight surprisingly. Luke and Nick AND my buddy john all came by today to contribute. Didn't take all that many pics of alot of it because we were in the zone, I had luke shoot a few with my phone towards the end so I'd have a few to show and narrate lol.

Things that got done:
-blocked down, scuffed, and filler primed the hood for the '74 challenger :-P
-mocked up and drilled/countersunk for the inner fender patch strips on the passenger side
-drilled and countersunk/dimpled the front fender to bond the two halves together
-bonded and riveted inner fender patch strips on BOTH sides in the rear
-bonded and riveted the tow halves for the front passenger fender
-applied body filler to the corner I repaired on the rear bumper
-accidentally panel-bonded a bunch of my hair to my left ear and made a few spikes in my hair with panel bond, unknowingly until I went to scratch an itch by my hear about 20mins later. holy shit did that hurt pulling out all the hair that was bonded!

pics!

fender:

(yes we chipped off a hunk of the pop-riveter from smacking it on the ground to get the tails out after riveting)
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #107
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
finished the inner fender patches tonight by welding them in to the existing metal. wire brushed them, cleaned them, and sprayed in acid-etch primer.

also finished the repair on the corner of the rear bumper

meanwhile, Chris came by as he's an expert on refurbishing headlights, so we baked mine and did the black inside treatment and he's going to take them home and refurbish the exterior of the lenses like new!

YAY!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #108
volcomstone1966
RIP 02 SVT 0209

Fan#: 35104
What I Drive: 04 PWSC EAP SVT - 04 Kawasaki ZX6R

Points 16,325, Level 81
Points: 16,325, Level: 81 Points: 16,325, Level: 81 Points: 16,325, Level: 81
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 15 volcomstone1966 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (44)
Nice work
04 SVT EAP #1131 -POWERWORKS-Torsen-Clutch Masters-Top Speed-Massive-Brembo-Fifteen52-Steeda-UNDER CONSTRUCTION
2K14 Turbo Veloster
04 Kawasaki ZX6R
Old 08-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #109
sicskate
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102301
What I Drive: Peugeot

Points 145, Level 2
Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2 Points: 145, Level: 2
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 sicskate Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm itching for another update... :)
Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #110
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Points 9,927, Level 66
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
All I really have for an update is my friend chris is an expert at refurbishing headlights, and mine were TERRIBLE. so we baked them apart and did the black insides conversion and he took them home to refurbish and treat the lenses with UV-protectant:

I've been too burnt out on it from putting in 4-6hrs a day for 3 weeks straight so I've been taking a minor break. I might get back into it later this week. All that's left is drill the heads off the set-rivets on the rear quarters, apply tigerhair bodyfiller over the seams, and sand to perfection. Then paint.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.