Buying a Focus Titanium...kinda concerned... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
saywhaat04
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85358
What I Drive: 2007 Honda Accord EX-L

FF Reputation: 1 saywhaat04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Buying a Focus Titanium...kinda concerned...

Hey folks I'm going to be in the market very soon for a new Focus Titanium...I intend to order a Focus Titanium with a 5spd manual transmission. I'm kinda torn between a few options and I'd like some insight on what you guys think I should do. I currently drive an 07 Accord EX-L 5spd that's been a great car but its beginning to show its age and have its problems and it lacks so much in the way of Infotainment equipment that I've decided I want something new.

Right now I live in South Carolina but will very soon be moving to Chicago, I intend to buy the Focus in SC because the rebates available here are much better than they are in Chicago-land. Right now I qualify for $3395 in rebates with the $2000 cash rebate, $500 competitive rebate, $395 Sync rebate and a recent $500 coupon I got in the mail from Ford. I'm LOVING THIS!

My options so far consist of the follow:

-5door hatchback of course ;)
-5spd manual transmission option of course ;)
-Titanium Handling pkg
-Power Moonroof
-Navigation
-Engine Block Heater (I'll need it in Chicago)
-Exterior Protection pkg (Again, may be needed once I move back to Chicago and I like splash guards)
-Stainless Steel kick plates
-Ruby Red paint

I'm sort of torn between the Titanium Handling pkg or just getting the optional 17 inch polished wheels. Since I'll be moving back to Chicago and the Handling pkg has "Summer tires" do you think the Handling pkg is something I should be considering? I'm not real fond of the 17s that are now standard on the Titanium (I didn't like the wheels from 2012 either) and the price difference between the 17s and the Handling pkg with its 18s is only $100. I've read a few places here that the 18s are expensive to replace? Any cheaper all-season alternatives I should consider? I honestly know very little about tires. But I like the look of the Handling pkg's wheels on the Focus.

I'm also concerned about MyFord Touch and Pandora. I know Ford has announced that AppLink will be coming to 2013 Focus models soon, yet nobody can tell me when it will happen. I'm concerned that I'll end up ordering a Focus and in a few short months the AppLink will be available. I know Ford does updates on the system often, would AppLink be one of those things that could be updated later on if I bought a Focus now or would I miss out on it? I listen to Pandora a lot on my job and I've come to love it. I can tune Pandora in thru the radio but none of the displays and functions are available at the moment and that's disappointing. I recently test drove a new Accord Sport and linked my phone up with Pandora, it was really easy to do! Unfortunately for me the Accord Sport lacks too much equipment for me to consider it. I hate that Honda no longer will allow you to option out an EX-L with a manual transmission, if they would I'd probably buy a new Accord over everything else.

I'm also considering the new Fusion. I've talked with my salesmen about ordering a 1.6t/6mt, I'm told it could take up to 12 weeks to come from Mexico but that typical wait times is 6-8 weeks.

The new Fusion supposedly has AppLink already available, the model I'd be choosing would be an SE with the Appearance pkg, Moonroof, MyFord Touch and Navigation. It cost about $1500 more than the Focus Titanium I'm leaning toward purchasing. I really want Push button start and its not available on anything other than the Fusion Titanium.

I know I've given you folks a whole lot in this one message but any advice on any of the "concerns" I have would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Scout706
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105129
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX5 AT

FF Reputation: 1 Scout706 Good Standing Member
Get the handling package. In Chicago, you will buy a complete set of 4 wheels with snow tires mounted, you won't want salt on your good wheels. You just switch out wheels fall and spring.

Can't help you on the tech stuff, but I want to buy your honda when you are ready.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
In regards to the wheels, if you get the handling package then you will want to just purchase a set of winter wheels/tires if you have snow. That is an approximate $800 cost (more or less depending on what you want out of them), but the PS3's are expensive indeed at $1k or more. I wouldn't recommend all-seasons if you have snow, mostly because the wheels are 8" wide.

If it is only a $100 premium over the non-handling package, I would say that your worst case scenario is buying the Handling Package and throwing a set of 17's on after the fact. You could probably trade your wheels for something you like and get more than enough cash on top of it to cover the premium. Then you have the handling package suspension, wheels that are less expensive to wrap, the possibility of installing all-seasons that won't be as detrimental in bad weather due to a narrower width, and additional cash to-boot...

Fwiw, I absolutely love the 18's in both looks and wet/dry performance. I don't have snow to deal with though. There are also 17's in a multi-spoke pattern that look really good, but you have to search pretty hard for them and most owners don't want to come off of them...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
SO they brought the Focus back to the states, and they couldn't bring the new Fusion here? ... go with the full package and order some Steelies with snows from Tire Rack. or someplace comporable.
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Just to comment, You will not need the engine block heater in Chicago.
It really does not get that cold there. The engine block heater is really for sub zero temps.. And Chicago might in a bad Winter see that for two days in Jan or Feb in a year.
I have never needed such a device in S.E. Wisconsin. Maybe in Northern Wisc or Minnesota...
Old 10-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
SO they brought the Focus back to the states, and they couldn't bring the new Fusion here? ... go with the full package and order some Steelies with snows from Tire Rack. or someplace comporable.
They did bring the new Fusion here, just not the hatch or estate versions of the Mondeo.

Unless you mean assembly, but then some were supposed to be built in Flat Rock also eventually.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Just to comment, You will not need the engine block heater in Chicago.
It really does not get that cold there. The engine block heater is really for sub zero temps.. And Chicago might in a bad Winter see that for two days in Jan or Feb in a year.
I have never needed such a device in S.E. Wisconsin. Maybe in Northern Wisc or Minnesota...
good point
Old 10-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
They did bring the new Fusion here, just not the hatch or estate versions of the Mondeo.

Unless you mean assembly, but then some were supposed to be built in Flat Rock also eventually.
Assembly yes... hope they bring it here.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhaat04 View Post
I'm also concerned about MyFord Touch and Pandora. I know Ford has announced that AppLink will be coming to 2013 Focus models soon, yet nobody can tell me when it will happen. I'm concerned that I'll end up ordering a Focus and in a few short months the AppLink will be available. I know Ford does updates on the system often, would AppLink be one of those things that could be updated later on if I bought a Focus now or would I miss out on it? I listen to Pandora a lot on my job and I've come to love it. I can tune Pandora in thru the radio but none of the displays and functions are available at the moment and that's disappointing. I recently test drove a new Accord Sport and linked my phone up with Pandora, it was really easy to do!
Ford claims they are working on bringing Applink to MFT but honestly, none of us know right now if that really is a matter or "when" or just a matter of "if" at this point. In its current form you can stream it BT or USB through MFT and have minimal functionality, track and artist show on the screen and you can skip to the next track with the steering wheel controls. No voice control.

I have the handling package and I find it well worth it but just to repeat what everyone has already said, get a set of winters if you go that route. Mine are in the back of the car right now as I am headed to the dealer in about an hour for an oil change and I am going to have those thrown on as well while I am there.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
MichaelJD1980
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55223
What I Drive: 2013 Tux SE Black Pack 5MT

FF Reputation: 9 MichaelJD1980 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywhaat04 View Post
I know Ford has announced that AppLink will be coming to 2013 Focus models soon, yet nobody can tell me when it will happen.
FWIW: AppLink is already available on the 2013 focus with sync and without MFT. Works great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks