Complete Strut Assembly Opinions and experience - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,486, Level 30
Points: 2,486, Level: 30 Points: 2,486, Level: 30 Points: 2,486, Level: 30
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just get the Ford kit with the pre-assembled struts, about $300 with all new shocks and springs.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsVK97 View Post
Rock Auto has both showing for my year. Price is right where I want as well. Not
to doubt the craftsmanship of Koni or KYB, but they strike me as a performance hardware. My car is just transportation, but I do care what I put on it.
KYB GR2's are intended to be OE replacement shocks but are better quality than most other ones. They are not a performance shock and should not be used with lowering springs etc. They have different models for that. Yes, Koni is primarily a performance brand, but the Strt's are kinda like a crossover for them. They can do pure street duty or light performance duties (and cost a whole lot less than other Koni shocks/struts). Both would be very good for a daily driver. I put a set of the GR2's on my Mazda 6 not long ago and they restored it to near new handling.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,313, Level 20
Points: 1,313, Level: 20 Points: 1,313, Level: 20 Points: 1,313, Level: 20
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
How about brands?
If you're happy with the factory ride, then Monroe Sensa Trac shocks & struts will keep you happy. Alot of the suspension recommendations on this forum are from drivers who want a firmer/sportier ride, which is too harsh for my taste in a light car with low-profile tires. Ford hatchbacks are so light in the rear that I can't imagine wanting it any stiffer; my experience is that it just worsens wheel-hop in corners.

I got Monroe "Quick-struts" (preassembled Sensa Trac + spring + bearing) at a national discount chain for around $230. They are (almost) as straightforward to install as shocks - and no dicking around with spring compressors!!

2 things to keep in mind with your old ZX3 that affects many of us:
  • Strut installation is a cinch. Removal is not! Suspension work on old Focii can be a bear if there's alot of corrosion (pinch bolt and strut column might be seized in their respective aperatures).
  • Did you ever have your front springs replaced under the Ford recall? If not, then a complete strut assbly is your best bet, considering your old factory springs might collapse any day now. Just another reason not to dick around with spring compressors.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Points 2,486, Level 30
Points: 2,486, Level: 30 Points: 2,486, Level: 30 Points: 2,486, Level: 30
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_beautious_ZX3 View Post
If you're happy with the factory ride, then Monroe Sensa Trac shocks & struts will keep you happy. Alot of the suspension recommendations on this forum are from drivers who want a firmer/sportier ride, which is too harsh for my taste in a light car with low-profile tires. Ford hatchbacks are so light in the rear that I can't imagine wanting it any stiffer; my experience is that it just worsens wheel-hop in corners.

I got Monroe "Quick-struts" (preassembled Sensa Trac + spring + bearing) at a national discount chain for around $230. They are (almost) as straightforward to install as shocks - and no dicking around with spring compressors!!

• Strut installation is a cinch. Removal is not! Suspension work on old Focii can be a bear if there's alot of corrosion (pinch bolt and strut column might be seized in their respective aperatures).
  • Did you ever have your front springs replaced under the Ford recall? If not, then a complete strut assbly is your best bet, considering your old factory springs might collapse any day now. Just another reason not to dick around with spring compressors.
agree with all this
the ford SVT kit is priced similar, about $300 but comes with springs and shocks for the rear too.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
WingsVK97
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45744
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

Points 101, Level 2
Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2 Points: 101, Level: 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 WingsVK97 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_beautious_ZX3 View Post
I'm dreading removing as you mentioned (hooray for penetrating oil). This is another reason I was looking at the Moog replacements because they include new lower hardware with the assembly. When I take the old off, I'm not putting the old back on. And they look pretty good, but so does anything in a promotional piece. They must be a new offering so I don't have much to go on. I'm trying to find someone (not just here) who's at least seen one up close to find out what they're like.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
WingsVK97
Focus Rookie

Points 101, Level 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Digging this up about a year later, but finally got the time and space to get these in. Tried the passenger site first and it took three attempts, two people, and a new breaker bar to complete. I could get the hardware undone, but I could not get the spindle and strut to seperate enough to get it out. Driver's side, in and out in 40 minutes. But I am happy with the Monroe QuickStrut units. For my driving habits, they are just fine.

In terms of fixing my noise, I was definately the strut bearing that was making the noise. I've still got noise, but that seems to be bushings. 12 year old car just showing its age. In terms of greasing these, any suggestions? I'll search around. I've got some white lithium grease I can spray in there, but should I look for something more dry?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #17
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Points 1,313, Level 20
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Tried the passenger site first and it took three attempts, two people, and a new breaker bar to complete. I could get the hardware undone, but I could not get the spindle and strut to seperate enough to get it out. Driver's side, in and out in 40 minutes.
my experience was the opposite of yours - passenger side was easy. Seems like most of the strut stories I read here involve one side being a cinch and the other side being a bear.

Quote:
But I am happy with the Monroe QuickStrut units. For my driving habits, they are just fine.
I'd be happy if they were even softer -- low-profile tires transfer wayy too much road feel to the chassis on bumpy Chicago roads.

Quote:
In terms of fixing my noise, I was definately the strut bearing that was making the noise. I've still got noise, but that seems to be bushings. 12 year old car just showing its age.
I'm assuming you replaced the end links when you did the struts?
Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #18
WingsVK97
Focus Rookie

Points 101, Level 2
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
End links we done a year or so before the struts. Replaced them with Moog. I've been getting my suspension more and more quite with each fix. The end links solved some of the noise, but not all. Then the struts have solved other noises, but not all. After reading more posts and research, it's onto swaybar bushings.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #19
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Points 1,313, Level 20
Level Up 13% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Moog is definitely a good brand, but it wouldn't be inconceivable for them to start making noise after a year or two (my Autozone links started clunking after a month or so). If it was me, I'd replace them first, only because sway bar work on this car can be a lot bigger job.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.