My 2012 is covered in rust - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
KeithLM
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83553
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 KeithLM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Zaino's recommendation for the clay bar fluid is to use a cap full or two of their car soap in an 8oz spray bottle of water. Just to be on the safe side I use filtered water from my fridge for this. I've found that so useful I use it as a spot cleaner, and a cleaner for my stainless steel appliances.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #32
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I would not use a brake dust cleaner or a magic eraser on paint. I am well equipped for detailing thanks to Eshine.ca, and of course would assist you in removing the rust specs if I had some clay or Iron-X. I normally leave this up to Paul @ Parkavenuedetailing. I would hate to see a new car and especially a new Focus in this condition!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #33
TitaniumFred
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86524
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 TitaniumFred Good Standing Member
I'm going to try the Diamond Gloss annual re-treatment first and then the other options if that doesn't work. It's not noticeable when you just glance at the car, you have to be looking carefully. But, once you see one, you start seeing them everywhere.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #34
VTwin60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99432
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 VTwin60 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guimpy View Post
I experienced the same. I clay barred my car but it didn't get everything off. It got most but not all. Someone told me to use brake cleaner. I'm not quite sure I want to do that. I wonder if Magic Eraser would do the trick. Would it be bad to use that on the car?
Use brake cleaner if you want to eat through your clear coat and ruin the finish permanently. Your second thought of magic eraser is probably the better bet. I've used one on my car for several years now, my wife has a habit of scratching the living daylight out of the door handle areas with her fingernails. As long as you don't rub the every living hell out of it with a lot of pressure, it will take off the marks just like....a magic eraser.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #35
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,755, Level 95
Points: 24,755, Level: 95 Points: 24,755, Level: 95 Points: 24,755, Level: 95
Level Up 41% Completed
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Usually once every year or every other year I will hit my car up with some Purple Stuff cleaner. I buy a couple of packs of microfiber towels, spray, wipe, spray, wipe. Moderately time consuming, but not near the level of a clay bar. Afterwards I rinse the car really well (these cleaners are corrosive), then wash/rinse/dry and lay a full coat of wax.

Not the method most use, but I have had solid results every time. I also use a Dry Eraser on all black plastic, and if you use it dry on the silly rubber (tops of doors, etc.) with a firm pressure it will take the imperfections out of that as well.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #36
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
I just found this great article for you to check out! This is why I recommended Iron-X and clay!

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...nd-a-clay-bar/
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #37
TitaniumFred
Focus Addict

Hey, great link. Sounds and looks like exactly what I had. I just had the Diamond Gloss renewal treatment done and that got rid of the rust specks as far as I can tell. I also put splash guards on the car a few weeks ago as I suspect that brake dust was the main culprit.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #38
Guimpy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88333
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Titanium

Points 141, Level 2
Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2 Points: 141, Level: 2
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Guimpy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
I'm not aware of anything a good clay bar with detail spray wouldn't remove. What brand did you use? I used Meguire's then Mother's, I recommend Meguire's. Try a 2nd clay bar session. There should be enough life in your clay bar and spray. You can buy the spray seperately, or use water as a shortcut.

Have you done this before? Because you are supposed to wet the area down pretty good with the detail spray and fold and stretch the clay bar after each area is finished. We are talking an area the size of the palm of your hand. It is a tedious process but is a must if you have fallout, etc.
I used Mother's. It came with two bars and spray. This was my first time clay barring a car. I did use a lot of solution. The spray that came with the kit wasn't enough so I used Croftgate Aquanil X to finish the rest of the car. I followed instructions as per what the box said. I will give it another try in the next few weeks. I'm also going to look into the other recommendations in this thread. Thank you
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
TitaniumFred
Focus Addict

How long did it take?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #40
Hannah26
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104142
What I Drive: 2012, White, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Hannah26 Good Standing Member
Same issue!

I've got the same problem with my titanium. Picked it up in may and noticed a small yellow dot on the bonnet, thought nothing of it and it was dirty. It's gotten worse and worse. I've tried washing it well and continue to at least once a week. I've compiled photos and professional opinions from panel beaters. They have since been sent off to ford and am now waiting to hear back.

Much the same, not by train tracks or anything to compromise the paint work however the car was transported from Sydney to Adelaide where I picked it up. I am sure it is brake dust that has settled. After the car arrived in Adelaide it was three weeks until I picked it up.

Any luck with yours?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.