Serpentine belt tensioner problem - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Look close at the tensioner, better ones will have a range marker that shows in proper range when right belt length is used. I found more than one catalog wrong once when searching for a Contour zetec E belt that should have been same length as Focus belt. Everybody kept giving a belt very close to right but not right. Didn't get right part until bought for a Focus instead of Contour, perfect then. Apparently several very close lengths right around the one we need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
defektes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84501
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 defektes Good Standing Member
I got that same tensioner with 30k miles on it, so far so good.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
treecarp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99715
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 treecarp Good Standing Member
Got the Gates tensioner on & replaced the belt. Cranked the car, loud clacking intermittently at idle, then no sound when engine was revved. So, going on info from amc49, I'm assuming that the belt is too long. So I took the MasterPro belt back, we measured it against another MasterPro in stock (same part #), & there was at least 1/2" difference!! Got the shorter belt, put it on, and so far so good. : ) Thanks all for your input!!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Helpful to check belt itself against the outer sleeve before leaving the store. I got dopey people interchanging belts and sleeves all the time. Often the belt itself is stamped with number, obviously it should match the sleeve. Of course the belt may be mis-stamped, seen that before too.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
treecarp
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99715
What I Drive: 2002 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 treecarp Good Standing Member
Sad to say, but the stamps matched the sleeves... : )
Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

They certainly don't pay any more overseas to make 'em than they do here, I'd be pissed off too. It shows in the quality of rebuilds too, I found so many brand new rejects out of the box it wasn't funny. So-called lifetime warranty parts, what a joke.....................
Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Inforcus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89147
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Inforcus Good Standing Member
In the Ford service and parts Department told me that tensiones replacements sold in Pep Boys are made in Tiwan and are not durable, the best advice is to use AC Delco or Motorcraft or Dayco parts. Dayco tensioner worked me very well until today, but also i bought the original tensioner too if the Dayco breaks. Dayco is the closest to the original Ford parts according to the dealer. The tensioner in the pictuere is a Pep Boy remplacement.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Not normal for me, but I wouldn't give 2 cents for a Ford tensioner unless they have totally redesigned them. Take one apart as I have and you'll know why. They have absolutely the flimsiest antifriction bushing insert in the business, maybe .020" thick. They have been so skimpy on material that it routinely slips out of place to seize up between the outer case and the working arm. Once it's worn through (or cut up because it slid out of place) the tensioner quickly locks up since running aluminum on aluminum to gall up. The pivot point deflects too much and too quickly from very little wear too. The spring is weak. I've had them lock up solid in less than 6 months before and I drive sedately and just like the old man I am. After two less than stellar performances from them in a row I went elsewhere.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
SE2002
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103304
What I Drive: 2002 SE

FF Reputation: 1 SE2002 Good Standing Member
Does anyone has a definite solution to this problem?
I'm sick and tired of replacing mine. it doesn't matter if the part comes from advance auto or Auto zone.
they snap like that one and I even had one bend like taffy, yes it got bent somehow.

any help is appreciated
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #20
Inforcus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89147
What I Drive: 2000 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Inforcus Good Standing Member
At this moment I using a genuine tensor Mortorcraft has worked well and I hope that I will not break, because already there are four tensors which has broken in a year. In the Ford dealer they tell me that these Focus were manufactured in Canada and in the United States, that there is a difference when you go to buy parts. It is important to use the pin number of the car to be able to buy the correct part. For example, the serpentine belt are different although we see them equal, there is a difference in his long we do not see to be observed with the view, but that may cause the tensioner to operate too loose or too tight. I have researched and if it is true. Not all serpentine belt are equal as it varies brand in brand even if your number says that it is correct, so it is best to use genuine parts with the pin number of the car to purchase the correct part. I hope this helps you like it has helped to me..

Bookmarks & Social Networks