Dogbone motor mount - install with pics - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dogbone motor mount - install with pics

While this thread might be useful to anyone, it's primarily intended for early model Focus owners who are confronted with replacing their dogbone motor mount with the "new" adapter.

Evidently, Ford changed the dogbone mount at some point, and rather than supporting old and new designs, they forced everyone onto the new design, which requires older Focii to purchase an adapter & bolt.

Parts overview: Focus has 3 motor mounts. Two are on top - a simple tranny mount on the driver's side (under the airbox) and a hydraulic engine mount on the passenger side (under the coolant reservoir). The third mount is colloquially called a "dogbone" (aka. "torque strut mount" or "lower rear mount") and is underneath the vehicle. The consensus on the forum is to bite the bullet and buy expensive OEM parts for all mounts...unless you enjoy this job so much that you want to repeat it in 3 months; check AutoNation in MN (formerly Tousley Ford) for good prices.

To replace your dogbone, you will order three parts:

For my 2002 ZX3 Zetec ATX the part numbers are: dogbone mount = 5S4Z-6068-BC, adapter = 8S4Z-6E042-A, bolt = W702801-S439.

Here is a comparison of the old & new dogbones. Note that the cheap aftermarket knockoff a) looks identical, and, b) appears to be fine. "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!"

(The plastic sleeve in the center hole makes the centerbolt more snug, so it's probably best to leave it in.)

Labor overview: The dogbone is replaced with the vehicle lifted on stands and no jack under the engine (although you might choose to use one for safety), whereas the top two mounts are replaced with the vehicle resting on the ground with a jack propping-up the engine/tranny. The entire dogbone job is limited to four bolts (no nuts).

If you are only replacing the dogbone, then slightly loosen the frame bolts on the top two mounts before lifting the vehicle, to give the dogbone some "wiggle room". If you are replacing all three mounts, then consider replacing the top two first for safety's sake (but leave them a little loose). Regardless, your final tightening of all three mounts will start with the dogbone because it has almost no play - the top two mounts must conform to it.

The dogbone is sandwiched between the frame & tranny. Rust notwithstanding, the dogbone centerbolt is straightforward to remove, but clearances may be tight for the other three bolts. When removing/installing the dogbone, adapter, and hardware, be careful not to bang the plumbing (red arrow below).

The perspective of these photos is if you are lying on your back under the front end, as if you are changing the oil filter.

Procedure
1. Remove the centerbolt and hinge bolt from the old dogbone, and then remove the dogbone, swinging the engine forward.

2. If there is an old dogbone adapter bolted to the tranny, remove it (not sure if you'll have that - my setup wasn't OEM.) I'm a stickler for clean threads: if the threads on those two tranny bolts are corroded or bit off some tranny aluminum, clean them (the nut on my old dogbone adapter was threaded with the same size nut, so it served as a convenient thread chaser). Clean the tranny's female threads.

3. Install the new adapter with the two bolts and tighten, making sure that the adapter is plumb:

4. Swing the engine forward and slide the new dogbone in place. Insert the centerbolt, and then insert the new hinge bolt through the adapter. Before tightening, make sure that the dogbone points straight. I used Loctite and 35 ft-lbs on all four bolts.

5. Done!

6. Lower the vehicle onto the ground and adjust/tighten the two top mounts.

Last edited by my_beautious_ZX3; 04-30-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
FordZX32000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33469
What I Drive: 2000 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FordZX32000 Good Standing Member
Excellent post and write up along with the detailed pics !! Good job and I think the MODS need to put it into a sticky.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
PWGuy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91777
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 PWGuy Good Standing Member
Excellent post! I did this just a month ago, then replaced the top two mounts the next day (all OEM); now the car creaks some when I am in reverse! Never did that before :(. Any ideas why? My only thought is something with the new dogbone mount/bracket.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
is the noise coming from the mount areas? if so, then maybe one of the mounts is binding-up, or maybe the new parts just need to settle-in a bit. Which strategy did you use to replace the top mounts: did you use a pencil to draw an outline of the frame mounts, so that you had to force the engine into an unnatural spot in order to maintain the old locations? Or, did you just allow the engine to settle into its new, natural resting spot and tighten it down?

If the mounts are not binding-up, then perhaps a little grease in/around the dogbone??

Bookmarks & Social Networks