Electrical problem - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
crazy-coyote
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134289
What I Drive: 2004 blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 crazy-coyote Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Electrical problem

I have a 2005 zx5 with a 2.3L with 113000 miles. It's stock besides a Kenwood stereo which I installed. Its having an intermittent electrical problem. The battery saver relay will start clicking, interior lights will dim, Headlights will flicker, under acceleration the engine will cut out like it is running out of gas, sometimes the battery light will come on. Most times I can pull over, Shut the key off and restart and will run fine the rest of the day. So far I have replaced the battery, checked and cleaned all the grounds I can find, cleaned the battery connection, replaced the positive cable end which has frayed a bit, switched the battery saver relay with the horn relay which is identical. Everytime this has fixed the problem for about a week. I took it to the Ford dealer twice. They got a p1235 code but couldn't find anything wrong with the fuel pump or module. They could not replicate the problem and said the charging system was working fine. It happened again this morning and I had a scan tool with me. Normally while driving it shows 14.5 volts but this morning it showed 12.5 when it was acting up. And the check engine light came on which was the p1235 again. I pulled over and restarted and drove to work with no more problems and 14.5 volts. My best guess is the alternator. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
streetfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5768
What I Drive: 2004 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 streetfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Alternator may be on its way out. Might be a short/bad ground causing the drain. I guess alternator.

New: 04 SVT : K&N panel filter, 3 performance motor mounts, Taylor wires
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 42 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Pay no attention to any codes that come up. They are false and a byproduct of low voltage.

It sounds like an alternator failing. But it's odd that it's intermittent.
Simply turning a key off then on won't fix a wiring issue. So you should be able to rule out the pigtail.
The more I run scenario's through my head the more it sounds like a slipping belt.

If it were something RPM based, you'd be able to replicate it at any time. You can't.
If it were heat related it happen any time the car gets warm. It doesn't.
If it were wires rubbing or grounding out, simply stopping and restarting wouldn't change a thing.

So a slipping belt is about the best I can come up with.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
crazy-coyote
Focus Rookie

Hey guys, thanks for your replys. I haven't thought of a slipping belt. Ill have to check it out.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
anarchy0392
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102873
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 2 anarchy0392 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
check the + wire on the back of the alt mine corroded and worked for a bit w/light coming on alot then it completely broke off from the alt and the car died completely.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Check the hatch harness where it passes through from the hatch to body for cracked wires. It looks kinda like an elephants trunk. Pull it back and inspect.

Das Land Der Elephanten

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
crazy-coyote
Focus Rookie

I inspected the wires to the alternator and didn't see any problems. I did the wiggle test with the engine running and that didn't cause any problem. The belt is in good shape and tight. I checked the hatch wires and sure enough one wire ( I think the green with blue stripe) was missing some insulation. I taped it up good and drove it 400 miles without a problem..... till today. It was acting up all the way to work. So Im out of ideas again.

Bookmarks & Social Networks