new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #81
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't mean to offend anyone by this but I'm just trying to gauge whether this is suppose to compensate for people who aren't the best manual drivers or if this is truly needed. My pedal feels dead some times when I'm taking off but I figured that's just in how the throttle tables are mapped.

So is that what this is fixing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #82
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
if your pedal feels dead sometimes, you could be experiencing the same issue. Especially if it is when starting from a stop. Basically for me, the clutch would be engaging, I would start moving forward, then all of the sudden the RPMs would drop and it would practically stall. I would then either need to double clutch, or stomp the gas to get going again. Its intermittent. I only experienced in 1st, sometimes between 1st & 2nd, and also in Reverse. Also would not stay in the "power band," when cranking the gears, between 1st and 2nd. Nearly got me t-boned a few times.

IMO it was truly needed. Not operator error. I've driven nothing but manuals for 15 years. Everything from euro/domestic/asian cars, 4x4s, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles, etc. I'm a pro, and this was the first car I thought just outright SUCKED. I blamed it on digital throttle, hopefully this update solved the problem.

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #83
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeHanL View Post
if your pedal feels dead sometimes, you could be experiencing the same issue. Especially if it is when starting from a stop. Basically for me, the clutch would be engaging, I would start moving forward, then all of the sudden the RPMs would drop and it would practically stall. I would then either need to double clutch, or stomp the gas to get going again. Its intermittent. I only experienced in 1st, sometimes between 1st & 2nd, and also in Reverse. Also would not stay in the "power band," when cranking the gears, between 1st and 2nd. Nearly got me t-boned a few times.

IMO it was truly needed. Not operator error. I've driven nothing but manuals for 15 years. Everything from euro/domestic/asian cars, 4x4s, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles, etc. I'm a pro, and this was the first car I thought just outright SUCKED. I blamed it on digital throttle, hopefully this update solved the problem.
Thanks for the explanation. Like I said, just trying gauge whether it's inexperienced drivers or truly needed. Sounds like a needed solution.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #84
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

moose, not a problem bud. I just wanted to be thorough in my explanation of experience and symptoms, so others would be able to confirm what they are experiencing, and whether or not the TSB would apply to them.

-DaeHan
Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #85
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralck View Post
I would occasionally get some jerking in first gear- like I was releasing the clutch too fast and not giving it enough gas. There was even once or twice that I stalled it when I thought I was giving it a decent amount of gas while starting on flat ground.
I haven't noticed anything else really, but I only drove it from the dealership to work (~4 miles) so I might not have felt/heard/seen anything "bad" yet.

Also, take my comments with a large grain of salt. While I've driven friends' manuals for a couple years now (in other words, very little experience), this is my first manual and I've only had it for less than 3 weeks now! So part of all this could just be me not being a good enough driver yet.
so basically elaborating on this user's post. I was having the same experience with launching issues, but am an expert manual driver.

-DaeHan
Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #86
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeHanL View Post
so basically elaborating on this user's post. I was having the same experience with launching issues, but am an expert manual driver.
I occasionally have the issue. I'll get it taken care of in about 3,000 miles along with the TSB for the washer fluid indicator and the recall for the wiper motor seal.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 05-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #87
Aaron65
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94813
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sedan 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Aaron65 Good Standing Member
I just got this done...it's nice!

I notice now when I put the car in gear and have my foot on the clutch, the engine slowly speeds up to 1000 RPM. With the stick in neutral--750 or so. Taking off in 1st and reverse is smoother and more consistent now.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #88
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

I'm sort of new to this whole warranty/TSB thing. Did you guys just call and tell them you want the TSB done or did you play dumb and try to describe what was happening?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #89
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

I told them my symptoms and gave the service department the specific tsb number. my description fit the tsb and since it's intermittent they just flashed the sucker real quick instead of tying to simulate the problem first. Just call, tell them your problem, and then the tsb number. Good luck bud!

---
I am here: Posted Via FF Mobiletsxwp2

-DaeHan
Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #90
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
I got 12-5-5 done to my 12/2011 build yesterday.

The shift light encourages me to upshift into 4th very slightly later than it used to(25-26 mph instead of 24-25 mph at very light acceleration), and into 5th much earlier (30-31 mph instead of 35 mph), both of which I was already doing anyway. So I agree with this aspect of the reprogramming. You get this thing even a hair under 25 mph in 4th and it is screaming to lug. In 5th it moves along just fine at 31 mph as your acceleration has usually slowed by the time you reach that speed (and if not, you should usually still be in 4th anyway).

I notice now that it is much easier to launch, and frankly I don't really care much about this. Whereas you previously had to really drive the clutch to get a smooth lunch, it pretty much launches itself now. If you weren't careful you could bobble it down to 750 rpm and then back up when the clutch fully engaged. After the update, the engine seems to try to keep itself over 1,000 rpm during launch. I suppose this is nice for novice stick drivers.

The jerkiness from light acceleration in 1st and 2nds after cold starts was not present this morning. This could be coincidence or they may have truly fixed it; I don't know.

The first few miles after 12-5-5, my mileage computer was reading very low. After 10 or 15 miles it came right back to where it was before the reprogram.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->