new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #61
Fringe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95955
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5DR Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Fringe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm getting my first oil change tomorrow and the PCM flash.... that is if the dealer doesn't try and tell me there is no 'recall'. It's not just dealerships that love to lie and evade. Cellular carriers are one of the best at it I've found lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #62
meattooth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 97031
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, se hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 meattooth Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
I'm getting my first oil change tomorrow and the PCM flash.... that is if the dealer doesn't try and tell me there is no 'recall'. It's not just dealerships that love to lie and evade. Cellular carriers are one of the best at it I've found lol
Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #63
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
I did my own when I was done work. I brought my car in at 4:50, got my advisor to write it up and by the time I got out of my coveralls and locked up all my tools it was finished programming and I was out by 5:00. Mind you, that time didn't include the time a tech would've spent road testing your car to duplicate your concerns or to verify his/her repair. I knew what my car was doing already and used my ride home to check it out. The TSB only pays 0.4hr so it shouldn't be a big deal for anyone.
If there is a TSB for this are they really going to waste the time to road test the car, to try and duplicate the issue? This isn't exactly a spendy repair for Ford in the grand scheme of things.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #64
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
I'm getting my first oil change tomorrow and the PCM flash.... that is if the dealer doesn't try and tell me there is no 'recall'.
Since there is no recall, it is better to be specific with the service personnel.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #65
chang351
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90249
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 chang351 Good Standing Member
I just got mine done today.

I've noticed some surging when cruising at 65-75, and I was always annoying by the lack of throttle response when taking off in 1st.

(I don't need a lecture from anyone on how they can take off on a 15% grade in 2 gear without the throttle; I don't care. I could take off in 4th with my old F150 with a straight-six. Not the issue).

Yesterday, on my way home from work, it felt like someone wedged a 2x4 under the gas pedal. I could barely keep it up to 60 on the highway, and I had to leave the car slowly rev through each gear change.

An engine restart fixed it, but I had the dealer look at it (I drive 70 miles a day, don't want to be stranded).

No codes, but they applied the TSB. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #66
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
Interesting. According to the ford owners website this TSB does not appear as needing to be done nor does it say it under the health section :/....

I am getting close to doing another oil change through. I plan to do mine every 5k miles though the book says every 10k but I just don't trust it. I always changed my oil in my older cars every 3k miles...

I'll see if they do it while I am there but if they don't then I will bring this up and see what they say.

I do sometimes have a little jerking when starting off in first gear sometimes and then when going into second. I found a work around which is don't accelerate hard in first or second or ease off the clutch slowly. I mainly do my accelerating from 3rd gear to 4th then cruise in 5th gear.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #67
chang351
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90249
What I Drive: 2012 Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 chang351 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertwo View Post
Interesting. According to the ford owners website this TSB does not appear as needing to be done nor does it say it under the health section :/....

I am getting close to doing another oil change through. I plan to do mine every 5k miles though the book says every 10k but I just don't trust it. I always changed my oil in my older cars every 3k miles...

I'll see if they do it while I am there but if they don't then I will bring this up and see what they say.

I do sometimes have a little jerking when starting off in first gear sometimes and then when going into second. I found a work around which is don't accelerate hard in first or second or ease off the clutch slowly. I mainly do my accelerating from 3rd gear to 4th then cruise in 5th gear.
I had the same issue with my car. 1st gear would definitely jerk from time to time. It just seemed like it was pretty unrefined for a Fuel Injected car.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #68
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Okay people, there is a difference between a RECALL and a TSB. A TSB does not show up in a health check, nor does it show up as any kind of outstanding service that needs to be done on your vehicle. A TSB is to be used as an aid in diagnosing what is a somewhat common problem for a technician to streamline the diagnostic process. This means not every vehicle is affected by this.

Yes, a technician would still do diag on your car. If you came in and said "my a/c sucks at idle" don't you think a technician might try and duplicate your issue first? They might try and confirm it sucks and then check for TSBs and find out "oh hey look, I'll try this PCM update first???". That is how it works. If you said there is a hesitation or a lag when applying the throttle the technician would obviously take the time to road test it. It could be any number of issues that could cause a drivability concern so why would a tech jump right into doing reprogramming and whatever else they randomly think of when that could in fact introduce other unknowns to the diagnostic process???

FFS people, it's not a recall. It doesn't show up in any hoopty poopty checks you do, nor does it show up on an oasis check on your vehicle at the dealership because its not something that necessarily needs to be done. If you don't suffer from any of those problems listed, then it doesn't have to be done to your vehicle!!

I think I might be done with this site. Mods can delete me if you wish. cheers

Last edited by Rat Fink; 05-17-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #69
Boomertwo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96378
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 Boomertwo Good Standing Member
Sorry to hear that you want to leave us Rat Fink.

I agree that everyone does seem to get all hyped up over any little thing to do with this car as it has had some bad rep such as the DCT issues. I think it's mostly because people believe something is wrong with their car when there really isn't. Hell I read a lot of threads here and then all a sudden think my car does the same thing.

I have already been to the dealer twice for some issues which were not there and I feel like an idiot. Until something is obviously wrong I am not going back other than for normal services. This doesn't mean I wont speak to a tech or the guy behind the counter about things that I hear about from others or what is posted on this forum but we all really should just treat anything said here with a grain of salt unless provided by someone that is proven to be an official ford employee such as a tech/mechanic or customer service rep.

I am not saying this transmission issue doesn't exist as ford did issue the TSB or so we think. We have no way to see it officially other than people posting it.

I agree that I seem to have a slight buck/whatever In first and second but my previous car also had this problem but only with second gear though it's transmission really needs service due to bad syncros. I thought it was just my limited experience with manuals transmissions/ experience driving a car with a worn transmission and clutch causing this till I saw this thread.

However I just want to believe something is wrong like everyone else. We also could use a clear definition what everything means such as Recall, TSB, or any other acronym/term that someone comes up with.

In conclusion everyone will do what ever they want and believe who ever they feel may be reliable. Don't let things that get posted here get to you and take everything posted on the internet with a grain of salt.

/end - ramblings in response to Rat Fink.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #70
Fringe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95955
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5DR Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Fringe Good Standing Member
I should have used better wording. I realize it's a TSB and not a recall and know the difference between the two. The service manager that scheduled me referred to it as "recall" for the work order. I fail to see how anyone is getting worked up over this. My take on this thread is that we are all just discussing a TSB (just as the OP labeled it)..... someone is always wrong on the internet though. Myself included.

Bookmarks & Social Networks