new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #91
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97968
What I Drive: 12 BlueC SE Sport 5DR+5SP+201A+Wntr

FF Reputation: 1 VelociRacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
I occasionally have the issue. I'll get it taken care of in about 3,000 miles along with the TSB for the washer fluid indicator and the recall for the wiper motor seal.
Isn't the latest PCM supposed to have all previous code/updates (washer fluid indicator)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron65 View Post
I just got this done...it's nice!

I notice now when I put the car in gear and have my foot on the clutch, the engine slowly speeds up to 1000 RPM. With the stick in neutral--750 or so. Taking off in 1st and reverse is smoother and more consistent now.
Does that mean that coasting in gear and no throttle is faster now (750 vs. 1k)? Could be annoying in stop 'n go traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeHanL View Post
if your pedal feels dead sometimes, you could be experiencing the same issue. Especially if it is when starting from a stop. Basically for me, the clutch would be engaging, I would start moving forward, then all of the sudden the RPMs would drop and it would practically stall. I would then either need to double clutch, or stomp the gas to get going again. Its intermittent. I only experienced in 1st, sometimes between 1st & 2nd, and also in Reverse. Also would not stay in the "power band," when cranking the gears, between 1st and 2nd. Nearly got me t-boned a few times.

IMO it was truly needed. Not operator error. I've driven nothing but manuals for 15 years. Everything from euro/domestic/asian cars, 4x4s, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles, etc. I'm a pro, and this was the first car I thought just outright SUCKED. I blamed it on digital throttle, hopefully this update solved the problem.
Is this your first drive-by-wire car (e-throttle)? Been driving manuals for 15 yrs as well. Coming from a 99 Civic, the Focus e-throttle feels like a DOG (lack of responsiveness). Much like our automatic 2006 Civic. Got used to it quickly

From an enthusiast's prespective, do you think the throttle is more responsive or less? Also, do you think the power band is flatter with less dead spots than before?

Finally, how's your idle A/C performance now?

Mine was built 12/6. How about your's?

Thanks for the detailed feedback. We need more before/after feedback like yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #92
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90891
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 DaeHanL Good Standing Member
not my first. I had a GTI and an RSX previously. Fairly sure my Wolfsburg 1.8T had one as well, considering it was a MK4. I just thought the programming on this specific car was terrible, and wasn't sure it would be corrected. I drove like a jerk yesterday just to see if the dead spots were corrected. In the 60 miles I put on the car yesterday it seems to have a flatter power band through the gears. The drop in RPMs, going from 1st to 2nd seems to be gone. I would say the throttle is more responsive. Once you're in gear, the rpms seem to rise a bit. My guess is that is to solve the response problem from before. Specifically when starting from a complete stop. Having to give it additional gas to keep it from stalling at idle, then even more to actually launch. I always felt my car idled slightly harder than it should, as if it were idling just barely enough to keep running. My car was built Nov 8, 2011.

I didn't pay attention to AC yesterday. Never really had a problem, other than it never got very cold. I believe the issue is warm air blowing at idle? According to my service papers, they only did a PCM flash... why wouldn't they just do the whole darn TSB?

Cheers!

2012 FF5DR SE Sport, 5-Spd, and ALL the 'fixins!
-DaeHan
Old 05-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #93
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon for the car. They were very adamant that the tech will have to notice the issue and recommend the update.... whatever.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #94
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
Isn't the latest PCM supposed to have all previous code/updates (washer fluid indicator)?
This TSB 12-5-5 includes pretty much everything except that. Check the first post of this thread. TSB 12-4-13 is specifically for the low washer indicator.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 05-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #95
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
The drop in RPMs, going from 1st to 2nd seems to be gone. I would say the throttle is more responsive. Once you're in gear, the rpms seem to rise a bit.
I always hated how e-throttle does not let the rpm fall in between shifts (clutch in, gas off). Are you saying it's actually worse (holds rpm longer/higher)? Or do you mean it has no drop in power once you are in 2nd gear with a fair bit of throttle input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoosenamedhank View Post
I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon for the car. They were very adamant that the tech will have to notice the issue and recommend the update.... whatever.
Just tell them your oil minder is not working (or is it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
This TSB 12-5-5 includes pretty much everything except that. Check the first post of this thread. TSB 12-4-13 is specifically for the low washer indicator.
What's your proof? What if they apply 12-5-5 then 12-4-13, therefore undoing all these "updates"?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #96
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Or do you mean it has no drop in power once you are in 2nd gear with a fair bit of throttle input?
that's what I'm saying

-DaeHan
Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #97
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
What's your proof? What if they apply 12-5-5 then 12-4-13, therefore undoing all these "updates"?
Doubtful they would do that. Considering the dealership is losing money every time you bring your car in, and undoing an update would most certainly warrant a return to the dealership.

-DaeHan
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #98
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Doubtful they would do that. Considering the dealership is losing money every time you bring your car in, and undoing an update would most certainly warrant a return to the dealership.
Dealerships actually make free money for warranty work, they love it. Ford is the loser, and us (time = money).

A simple test would be to sit on your driveway, squirting away the washer fluid and waiting for the light to come on. Have you done both TSBs? I plan only doing 12-5-5 until someone can prove washer fluid indicator isn't resolved in 12-5-5.

BTW, how do you like the rpm drop rate (between gears) before and after the update?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #99
DaeHanL
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Dealerships actually make free money for warranty work, they love it. Ford is the loser, and us (time = money).

learn something new every day! The car drives better now. Period. Actually has solid pull, and doesn't feel like such a turd.

-DaeHan
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #100
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
What exact proof are you looking for? Read the text in the TSBs. And who on God's green Earth updates computers from newest update to oldest? Logic, man. Logic. Me thinks you're just trying to be difficult.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob

Bookmarks & Social Networks