2013 Order Guide Released - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #91
fatfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90985
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 fatfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So, for us SEL owners, we should take care of them, as they are a rare vehicle, sorta....especially the Frosted Glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #92
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,219, Level 46
Points: 5,219, Level: 46 Points: 5,219, Level: 46 Points: 5,219, Level: 46
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
While I wouldn't say that the ST is "replacing" the SE Sport, it may be that Ford is less inclined to keep it in the lineup because of other sporty offerings.

Ford's own press release confirmed that both the SE Sport Package and Titanium Handling Package were targeted towards the enthusiast market. Many folks saw the SE Sport as Ford's way of throwing a bone to enthusiasts who liked to row their own. Of course, now that the Titanium is offered in MT, not to mention the ST, there is no longer that need.
I didn't see the SE Sport as being geared towards enthusiasts, but rather towards those who wanted alloys and rear discs and didn't mind a stiffer suspension setup (whether the tranny is auto or MT has nothing to do with it since either was available throughout the SE lineup). The alloys are now standard on the SE and the suspension setup is an open question. But the fact you can't get rear discs on an SE without the expensive Appearance package or the SFE package is questionable. I'm not an "enthusiast" by any means but I look at the rear brakes as a sort of status symbol. If the car has drums it just looks "cheap" to me. Plus it's a safety question - with kids in the car with me I just want as much stopping power as I can possibly get.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #93
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 5,219, Level 46
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatfocus View Post
So, for us SEL owners, we should take care of them, as they are a rare vehicle, sorta....especially the Frosted Glass.
I'm with ya since my SEL's color has also been discontinued. Though I'm not going to hold my breath for a "rarity premium" come selling time.....
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #94
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
I didn't see the SE Sport as being geared towards enthusiasts, but rather towards those who wanted alloys and rear discs and didn't mind a stiffer suspension setup (whether the tranny is auto or MT has nothing to do with it since either was available throughout the SE lineup). The alloys are now standard on the SE and the suspension setup is an open question. But the fact you can't get rear discs on an SE without the expensive Appearance package or the SFE package is questionable. I'm not an "enthusiast" by any means but I look at the rear brakes as a sort of status symbol. If the car has drums it just looks "cheap" to me. Plus it's a safety question - with kids in the car with me I just want as much stopping power as I can possibly get.
Ford uses the word "enthusiast" six times in this press release, announcing the SE Sport and Titanium Handling packages: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33466

The fact is, for most of the model year, the SE Sport was simply the only option for those who wanted a manual transmission along with the sport-tuned suspension. I think that's why it has the "enthusiast's choice" reputation around here.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #95
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 5,219, Level 46
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:
Ford uses the word "enthusiast" six times in this press release, announcing the SE Sport and Titanium Handling packages: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=33466

The fact is, for most of the model year, the SE Sport was simply the only option for those who wanted a manual transmission along with the sport-tuned suspension. I think that's why it has the "enthusiast's choice" reputation around here.
I'm saying I was originally interested in the sport package just for the alloys and the rear discs. I can't be the only one. I didn't care about the "sport-tuned suspension", whatever that gives you. Has anyone ever driven a SE and SE Sport one right after the other to see if there's a discernable difference in handling or if it's just a marketing gimmick?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #96
Bimmer-Bob
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98064
What I Drive: 2010 BMW 128i; 2012 Focus SE Sport

FF Reputation: 3 Bimmer-Bob Good Standing Member
Quote:
I'm saying I was originally interested in the sport package just for the alloys and the rear discs. I can't be the only one. I didn't care about the "sport-tuned suspension", whatever that gives you. Has anyone ever driven a SE and SE Sport one right after the other to see if there's a discernable difference in handling or if it's just a marketing gimmick?
Well, it's definitely marketing, but I wouldn't call it a gimmick. The suspension is stiffer. I test drove a regular SE sedan (only one on the lot with a 5MT, which I wanted to try out) immediately followed by an SE Sport hatch. I felt like it rolled less and gripped more, but I guess it could've been in my head and I didn't push either car very hard, obviously. But the parts catalog show a definite difference in dampers (standard vs. touring) and I think one can safely assume that they're valved differently.

Granted, some folks that ticked that box might not consider themselves enthusiasts - I'm just saying that Ford was explicitly going after that demographic with the package.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #97
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

Points 13,529, Level 75
Points: 13,529, Level: 75 Points: 13,529, Level: 75 Points: 13,529, Level: 75
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Well, it's definitely marketing, but I wouldn't call it a gimmick. The suspension is stiffer. I test drove a regular SE sedan (only one on the lot with a 5MT, which I wanted to try out) immediately followed by an SE Sport hatch. I felt like it rolled less and gripped more, but I guess it could've been in my head and I didn't push either car very hard, obviously. But the parts catalog show a definite difference in dampers (standard vs. touring) and I think one can safely assume that they're valved differently.

Granted, some folks that ticked that box might not consider themselves enthusiasts - I'm just saying that Ford was explicitly going after that demographic with the package.
Agreed, I wonder if the new ones will have the rear sway bar also, I think the standard SE doens't have it. thats prob why it rolled more in the corners. I am glad I got the sport package (noise aside) it drives and handles great, I wonder if it is any lower? it kinda looks to be more level front to rear. but might just be my mind and eyes playing tricks on me lol
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #98
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 5,219, Level 46
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Quote:

Yeah I know the suspension bits have some different part nos., I just wonder what real difference there is. The differences you felt might have been primarily to do with the rims / tires. The alloys themselves should be a little stiffer than the base steel wheels, no? I've got the "cushy" SEL suspension and it's plenty stiff for me.

Anyway, too bad about the sport package...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #99
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Quote:
But the fact you can't get rear discs on an SE without the expensive Appearance package or the SFE package is questionable. I'm not an "enthusiast" by any means but I look at the rear brakes as a sort of status symbol. If the car has drums it just looks "cheap" to me. Plus it's a safety question - with kids in the car with me I just want as much stopping power as I can possibly get.
I agree with this completely and it's a major gripe of mine as well. You get rear discs on the $12K Hyundai but in 2013 you STILL have to tack on a big premium to get them on the Ford compacts...? Huh??
Old 05-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #100
FNSMOKE
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71635
What I Drive: 2013 White Ti-hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FNSMOKE Good Standing Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
I agree with this completely and it's a major gripe of mine as well. You get rear discs on the $12K Hyundai but in 2013 you STILL have to tack on a big premium to get them on the Ford compacts...? Huh??
+1 as SAFETY issue
on the request for FORD to step up across all their offerings.

Bookmarks & Social Networks