2012 5-Door tail lamp scratching body - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #101
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1992 View Post
...Don't really have the time or see the point to drop off the car for them to have something fix while I could do it 15 minutes or less.
I hope you ultimately visited the dealer; our factory-trained techs are best to inspect and perform any repairs. If it still needs attention, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number and dealer information; I'll e-mail your Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdrage View Post
I just got a call from Gene Latta Ford in Hanover Pa. They have ordered a new Tail Light. They hope that solves the problem. Should be in by Friday.
It seems as if new lights are being ordered for some people; how did it turn out for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
Well I noticed today that my car has this issue. Its pretty bad on the drivers side (appears to have chipped all the way down to the metal), looks like its just starting on the passenger side.
Have you went in to your dealer about this? If not, I'd like to get your Customer Service Manager involved; please drop me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
...I guess I was just so excited that I don't have to take the car to the dealership... :-)
You're getting sleepy, very sleepy. Your eyes are getting heavy. You're going to use these service coupons at the dealer: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...iceCouponsPage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
Thomas, sure that would be great! I'm guessing that you already know them as a great dealer from some of the regional ratings I checked out.
Good news travels fast! Please send me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information; I'll put this great experience on record. I urge you to share it here too: http://social.ford.com/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riparke View Post
Just checked mine and both sides have the paint damage starting but not thru the paint yet, so I backed out the peg a little and tighten the plastic nuts holding the lamp in the position I wanted it in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner View Post
I just noticed I've got paint missing on the driver's side tail light just like many others posted. That tail light has always squeaked when washing/drying the car.
Keep checking this area for paint chips, riparke. If any appear, please send me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info by PM; I'll loop in the Customer Service Manager for your region. Yanner, please shoot me these details too; I'll notify your CSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretherius View Post
I took my car to my Service Dept for an oil change & rotation (the rotation they didn't do but I can't prove it). I had them look at my chipping paint and the guy told me I had to take it to their body shop 5 miles away...
Is there a tire rotation note on your invoice? If not, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll fill in your area's Customer Service Manager on the phantom tire rotation and paint chips. He/she can coordinate with your dealer to get these issues worked out.

For all Focus owners, keep a close eye on the taillight area. You know how to reach me for further assistance.

-Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #102
nerdrage
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100392
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 1 nerdrage Good Standing Member
I drop my car off tonight to have this fixed. They hope a new tail light solves the issue. Ill post updates as I hear from them.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #103
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I think Ford may be wasting a lot of money replacing taillights to solve rhis problem. If they don't back out the adjustment pin, the problem will still exist no matter how many new lights they install.

Last edited by cbdallas; 07-23-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #104
nerdrage
Focus Enthusiast

can someone take a picture of the adjustment pin? Ford says there is no adjustment on these lights. I havnt touched the light myself because I dont want Ford to say I messed with it and deny the warranty to fix the paint
Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #105
VH5150
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97424
What I Drive: '14 PB ST2, '12 TB Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VH5150 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I pulled my tails yesterday to NiteShade them-they were rubbing a bit on both sides. Before reinstaling them, I backed-out the locating pins about 1/32"; that should take care of the rubbing.
2014 Focus ST2-9/9/13 Build Date-Performance Blue-Charcoal/Blue Recaros-Moonroof-Cobb Intake w/AIRPORTAL-Magnaflow-Breedt QuickShift Arm & Knob-QuickLifts-Garageline 20/25 Spacers-UK "Ford Power" Ignition Button-WeatherTech Visors-Rally Armors
Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #106
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Have you went in to your dealer about this? If not, I'd like to get your Customer Service Manager involved; please drop me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information.

-Thomas
I stopped in today to have the them look it over. They scheduled the work to be done next Monday. I will let you know how it comes out. This dealership has been great.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #107
silenthill
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85671
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL hatch

FF Reputation: 2 silenthill Good Standing Member
The first step they did for mine was replace the light. Same problem.

The pin is adjustable. My dealer did it (or else lied about it). I'm inclined to believe they did adjust the pin since the lamp is no longer touching the paint.

Judging by the crappy responses and misinformation that other people are posting from their dealers, I'm not impressed with the lack of communication from dealers > Ford > dealers.

I'm the original poster for this thread, btw.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #108
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdrage View Post
I drop my car off tonight to have this fixed. They hope a new tail light solves the issue. Ill post updates as I hear from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
I stopped in today to have the them look it over. They scheduled the work to be done next Monday. I will let you know how it comes out. This dealership has been great.
Awesome! Every time I see posts like these, I feel compelled to film and air the repairs like a reality show. Please keep us all in the loop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I think Ford may be wasting a lot of money replacing taillights to solve rhis problem. If they don't back out the adjustment pin, the problem will still exist no matter how many new lights they install.
Your dealer will be able to go into more detail on the repairs. Have you talked to them about all of the work performed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH5150 View Post
I pulled my tails yesterday to NiteShade them-they were rubbing a bit on both sides. Before reinstaling them, I backed-out the locating pins about 1/32"; that should take care of the rubbing.
If there are any visible paint chips, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information; I'll forward these details to your region's Customer Service Manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
The first step they did for mine was replace the light. Same problem.

The pin is adjustable. My dealer did it (or else lied about it). I'm inclined to believe they did adjust the pin since the lamp is no longer touching the paint...
It sounds as if the repair was a success! Please keep an eye on the paint surrounding your taillight. You know how to reach me if you need anything.

- Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #109
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 2 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Your dealer will be able to go into more detail on the repairs. Have you talked to them about all of the work performed? - Thomas
I actually did this job myself. After taking 2 minutes to adjust the positioning pin, my taillights now sit about 2mm away from the paint, all the way around the light.

It just occurred to me that Ford should be doing this instead of ordering new lights when that doesn't even solve the problem. They're throwing away money. You should pass this along to them. It's a much easier fix than making a customer wait for a new taillight that will also rub the paint.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #110
nerdrage
Focus Enthusiast

I totally agree that Ford is wasting money replacing tail lights instead of adjusting them.

I believe the problem is that the Ford service manual does not mention this adjustment pin. Plus Ford hasnt issued a TSB for this, so dealers are clueless.
I called my service manager today and he in fact informed me of this. Then went on about compression clips and blah blah blah. I said hey just trying to save you the cost of a new tail light. Regardless they have to fix the scratched paint.

Sure I couldve adjusted the light myself but my paint needs fixed and was worried about them denying the warranty after I touched it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks