I think my car is a lemon - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
focusoner
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 141441
What I Drive: 2014, Silver, Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 focusoner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy I think my car is a lemon

I purchased my 2014 Focus Titanium Hatchback back in December 2013. I got no more than 5 minutes away from the dealership and noticed the check engine light was on. Not even 15 miles on the car yet. Problem was a O2 sensor, replaced. After picking up the car, got about half way home to find, you guessed it, the check engine light on again. Problem another O2 sensor replaced. Also had them fix the weather strip on the passenger door, which made the door hard to open. Not sure how it made it off the production line sticking the way it did or off the lot either. Then 2 months later got the hill start assist warning light on, then it went out on its own. about a week later, guess again, you're right!! The check engine light was on again. Problem, evaporator vapor valve and hill start assist module replaced. So, a couple of months have gone by and everything has been fine until yesterday while driving I noticed.... wait for it... the f@$&*!^ check engine light was on again. It is now at the dealership being diagnosed. Today was the last straw. I bought the car to replace a 6 year old car to make sure I wouldn't have any car trouble getting to work. I've had more trouble with this car than the last 5 cars in total. I now consider it unreliable and untrustworthy. Called a lemon law attorney and they said I definitely have a case. As I move forward I wanted some opinions and advice on how to proceed from others that either know a little bit about things or have been through this before. Any comments welcome. Remember when you got your new car and had that warm fuzzy feeling driving home, mine lasted about 5 minutes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
SaraHolly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 155810
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 SaraHolly Good Standing Member
Oh no! That's terrible, I hope it gets worked out in your benefit. Random and unrelated question though, is yours a manual transmission? I mean I have a 2014 as well but it's an SE, so I don't think I have the hill start assist :/
Old 06-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Sheesh, everybody on the line must have been hungover that day.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I don't think you've got a case... Most lemon laws state that you have to have the car in for the same issue multiple times within a certain period without a solution. Sounds like they fixed your O2 sensors after the second try, fixed your door, replaced your hill start module and fixed your evap valve.

OBVIOUSLY none of this is costing you anything but time as your car is still under warranty, so while it's easy to understand your frustration; it isn't anything worth getting so hot over. Chill out. See what's up with the car this time. Maybe you'll never see the check engine light again for as long as you own the car.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
mittencuh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 120274
What I Drive: 2013 Titanium hatch 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 mittencuh Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I don't think you've got a case... Most lemon laws state that you have to have the car in for the same issue multiple times within a certain period without a solution. Sounds like they fixed your O2 sensors after the second try, fixed your door, replaced your hill start module and fixed your evap valve.

OBVIOUSLY none of this is costing you anything but time as your car is still under warranty, so while it's easy to understand your frustration; it isn't anything worth getting so hot over. Chill out. See what's up with the car this time. Maybe you'll never see the check engine light again for as long as you own the car.
If my car's CEL had come on within 15 miles of taking delivery I think I would have tried to give it back or something. Seriously, maybe I'm superstitious but that really shouldn't happen on a brand new car. And then go wrong again.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
focusoner
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraHolly View Post
is yours a manual transmission?
It's an automatic.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
focusoner
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I don't think you've got a case...

You sound like you work for FORD. I'm sorry but a new car might have 1 problem that is acceptable but, c'mon 4 in less than 6 months and 5,000 miles. That's great quality indeed. Easy for you to say "chill out" it didn't happen to you, did it?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusoner View Post
You sound like you work for FORD. I'm sorry but a new car might have 1 problem that is acceptable but, c'mon 4 in less than 6 months and 5,000 miles. That's great quality indeed. Easy for you to say "chill out" it didn't happen to you, did it?
It's reality. You can wig out and be a mess or you can do what needs to be done to enjoy your car to the fullest.

Alternatively, I can call you an idiot for buying the car without driving it or having it checked over by a third party mechanic. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's perfect. You don't know what happened to the car between the assembly line and the dealer lot.

But instead, I'll be nice and try to help you understand that while it's frustrating to have problems, your car is very likely not a lemon.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
does it smell like one?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Is that what that sour smell coming from the hvac is!?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->