2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released. - Page 32 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #311
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I had the same concerns as you about the test, but didn't feel like I had enough information to go on to call him out on it. It certainly doesn't "jive" with other comparisons I've seen--the K&N definitely showed a distinct advantage.
Those complaints were voiced, and mostly quelled. It is a dyno, so take it with a grain of salt. I think it could be slightly overstated through a dyno condition, but I dont think anything was doctored. I wish the steeda had been tested too.

At any rate, the impressive dynos (not just this one), larger aftermarket presence, and better pricing made it an easy purchase for me.


The coupon code (if theyre not currently running it) is "welcome15". just ask about it if it didn't work. They gave it to me that way.
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #312
novus
Focus Fanatic
 
novus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107022
Location: Scott AFB, IL
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Posts: 1,564
Points 925, Level 16
Points: 925, Level: 16 Points: 925, Level: 16 Points: 925, Level: 16
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Thanks for the awesome link. I guess I will get it at AA, as a first time customer I'll already get 15% so I don't think I can get another promotion (if I could I'd be a happy camper though).
Before you order yours I'd take a look at this.
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...intake-systems

Quote:
CALL 1-888-665-7298 if you find a lower price and we’ll beat it! We will not be undersold on K&N!
http://www.amazon.com/69-3517TS-Perf.../dp/B00861C6LQ

Amazon ships it for $245.82 + Free Shipping.
I'd call and price match + have them give you the 15% off. More cost savings! :)
Not to mention, on AA they give you a Free K&N Recharge kit since they're running a promo.

EDIT:
Quote:
The promo WELCOME15 (15% off $150) you entered has expired.
novus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #313
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
Before you order yours I'd take a look at this.
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...intake-systems



http://www.amazon.com/69-3517TS-Perf.../dp/B00861C6LQ

Amazon ships it for $245.82 + Free Shipping.
I'd call and price match + have them give you the 15% off. More cost savings! :)
Not to mention, on AA they give you a Free K&N Recharge kit since they're running a promo.

EDIT:
I would be very surprised if they would price match and let you use a promo.
Also, that was the code months ago. I havent kept too current on pricing as I bought mine. The promo was expired when I ordered mine and they honored it.
The AA also includes the recharge kit.

I dont intend to plug them shamelessly. I just had a good experience and couldn't find the intake cheaper. If you can, get it there.
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #314
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 12,332
Points 24,731, Level 95
Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
I had the same concerns as you about the test, but didn't feel like I had enough information to go on to call him out on it. It certainly doesn't "jive" with other comparisons I've seen--the K&N definitely showed a distinct advantage.
I agree 100%. Both Steeda and K&N are at the top of the chart when it comes to power gains. They are literally, through my observations, close enough for price to be the determining factor. That battle is typically won, and again only my observation, by K&N when comparable new prices are quoted.

I just think that the linked thread is too biased to be fair. To test the FSWerks and Injen and then discount the Steeda for having 's similar design'? Sounds legit I can't discount his thought process for his sales tactic though, because it sure seems to be working.
__________________
FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #315
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 12,332
Points 24,731, Level 95
Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
Those complaints were voiced, and mostly quelled. It is a dyno, so take it with a grain of salt. I think it could be slightly overstated through a dyno condition, but I dont think anything was doctored. I wish the steeda had been tested too.

At any rate, the impressive dynos (not just this one), larger aftermarket presence, and better pricing made it an easy purchase for me.
I'm not discounting your purchase. I'm simply stating that the concerns voiced were answered in the best manner for 'marketing'. There is no reason for me to take it with a grain of salt because I have actual dyno experience and 30 pulls on my car. I'm not saying that they were doctored in any way, I simply feel that they are biased and not a true source of information that should be used to assist in forming a decision. When I did my testing, which was independent, I wasn't going to have the possibility of making any money off of anything I tested...

I can compare a Titanium to a SEL and qualify why the Titanium is better even though the SEL is cheaper. The problem is that there is another Titanium on the market with different features, but it was discounted because he tested a SE that had similar features. Better analogy?
__________________
FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #316
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I'm not discounting your purchase. I'm simply stating that the concerns voiced were answered in the best manner for 'marketing'. There is no reason for me to take it with a grain of salt because I have actual dyno experience and 30 pulls on my car. I'm not saying that they were doctored in any way, I simply feel that they are biased and not a true source of information that should be used to assist in forming a decision. When I did my testing, which was independent, I wasn't going to have the possibility of making any money off of anything I tested...

I can compare a Titanium to a SEL and qualify why the Titanium is better even though the SEL is cheaper. The problem is that there is another Titanium on the market with different features, but it was discounted because he tested a SE that had similar features. Better analogy?
There are no need for simple analogies. I understand your complaints, and I have read through that thread several times. In fact, I did see the complaints about torque not equalling horsepower at 5250, which was also answered as being a scaling issue (which I note you later acknowledged, but the point is I read through it and would never have repeated complaints).
Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't mean that they don't understand.

Hell, I even said to take it with a grain of salt. It is a dyno pull, so there is very little external validity to begin with.

I'm not familiar with his background, so perhaps you can shed some light there. I gather he is a vendor of sorts, but his website didn't have much listed (and an awful layout). I could only see the exhausts. Typing anything in the search box was just a normal google search, not limited to his site. I don't see anything that would suggest the K&N would be beneficial to him, unless he only sold that.
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #317
lmiyar
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 86294
Location: Chihuahua, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue HB

Posts: 4
Points 6, Level 1
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 lmiyar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hi, I'm new to mods
if I wanted to install this on my 2012 SEL would I need anything else to install it?
will I lose the warranty on the motor?

thanks!
lmiyar is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #318
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiyar View Post
hi, I'm new to mods
if I wanted to install this on my 2012 SEL would I need anything else to install it?
will I lose the warranty on the motor?

thanks!
Just the tools to do so. As far as warranty, you will lose it if they can prove that it caused the failure. If you're driving it hard anyway, it seems they'll want to blame your driving style so there is little warranty risk.
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #319
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 12,332
Points 24,731, Level 95
Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95 Points: 24,731, Level: 95
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asting View Post
There are no need for simple analogies. I understand your complaints, and I have read through that thread several times. In fact, I did see the complaints about torque not equalling horsepower at 5250, which was also answered as being a scaling issue (which I note you later acknowledged, but the point is I read through it and would never have repeated complaints).
Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view doesn't mean that they don't understand.

Hell, I even said to take it with a grain of salt. It is a dyno pull, so there is very little external validity to begin with.

I'm not familiar with his background, so perhaps you can shed some light there. I gather he is a vendor of sorts, but his website didn't have much listed (and an awful layout). I could only see the exhausts. Typing anything in the search box was just a normal google search, not limited to his site. I don't see anything that would suggest the K&N would be beneficial to him, unless he only sold that.
If you're familiar with the thread, then you are familiar with the fact that he sells the Typhoon and AEM. If you are familiar with the Typhoon, then you know that the only real 'competitor' is the Steeda. If you are familiar with dyno testing, then you know that you can't take back-to-back comparisons 'with a grain of salt'. You can't base your expected numbers off of their numbers, but same-car testing is used to qualify specific differences between kits.

If someone whom was basically a Steeda vendor came and created a thread that tested everything but the Typhoon and came to the conclusion that the Steeda was clearly the best out of the test, you would cry foul because the Typhoon wasn't tested. If the answer from the vendor was that the Typhoon was simply similar to a lower-priced system, you would probably disagree. That's all I'm saying.

I have no brand affiliation and I base my CAI recommendations based off of what people say their desires are combined with their actual vehicle usage. I research all of these upgrades out of boredom and to help people make informed decisions. Every intake has it's pros and cons and each persons needs are different. All I was saying in my initial post is that the link offered appears to be biased and is not a link I would recommend people using when doing their own research. This is not a personal attack towards you or anyone. Simply my opinion, observations, and concerns-nothing more and nothing less.
__________________
FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #320
asting
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98342
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Posts: 466
Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
If you're familiar with the thread, then you are familiar with the fact that he sells the Typhoon and AEM. If you are familiar with the Typhoon, then you know that the only real 'competitor' is the Steeda. If you are familiar with dyno testing, then you know that you can't take back-to-back comparisons 'with a grain of salt'. You can't base your expected numbers off of their numbers, but same-car testing is used to qualify specific differences between kits.

If someone whom was basically a Steeda vendor came and created a thread that tested everything but the Typhoon and came to the conclusion that the Steeda was clearly the best out of the test, you would cry foul because the Typhoon wasn't tested. If the answer from the vendor was that the Typhoon was simply similar to a lower-priced system, you would probably disagree. That's all I'm saying.

I have no brand affiliation and I base my CAI recommendations based off of what people say their desires are combined with their actual vehicle usage. I research all of these upgrades out of boredom and to help people make informed decisions. Every intake has it's pros and cons and each persons needs are different. All I was saying in my initial post is that the link offered appears to be biased and is not a link I would recommend people using when doing their own research. This is not a personal attack towards you or anyone. Simply my opinion, observations, and concerns-nothing more and nothing less.
Fair enough, thanks for sharing. I too wish he had tested the steeda.

I too have no particular loyalty, and was actually looking to buy the steeda before the forum pricing i heard about turned to be no better than the sale they were running (which I thought they were still running at the time, but I guess had expired).
__________________
2012 SE Hatch - 5 Speed - Tuxedo Black
Engine: K&N Typhoon CAI, Magnaflow 2.25 exhaust 15072
Suspension: MS3 Springs, Focus electric RMM.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
asting is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat