2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released. - Page 30 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #291
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114099
What I Drive: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus

FF Reputation: 1 Vanquished Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey Everyone,
So I found the KN 69-3517TS on Amazon for 245 with Prime.
I read all the pages of this thread and was pumped but then I saw the thread with the issues regarding the MAF cracking so now I'm kinda doubting it.

Should I buy it? Is this a good deal? I think AA has it for 282 now - 15% coupon so $240 and I think it comes with a recharge kit. But I also get 3% back on Amazon purchases (1% on everything else) so it ends up being the exact same price for me purchasing through Amazon and AA but maybe AA comes with a recharge kit. Is AA's customer service on par with Amazon's?

Also, do I have to remove the Snorkel? I know I need to remove fresh air vent or whatever K&N calls it, but they don't say anything about removing the snorkel (which I'd rather not do since it requires taking out clips I guess...

Finally, has anyone gone to Ford to get their oil changed or other service and do they care about putting this or other intakes in. I have 2 years 25k miles of oil changes from a Ford dealer and I'd rather not have to take the K&N out every time I go for an oil change. If not the K&N is there a better model I should get?

Thanks!
-Vanq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #292
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It's a non-problem, really. Just take some care and don't overtighten the filter. It takes a good amount of (excessive) force to crack the MAF housing.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #293
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
It's a non-problem, really. Just take some care and don't overtighten the filter. It takes a good amount of (excessive) force to crack the MAF housing.
Even though I live in MA where the roads are total crap? :(

What about the snorkel?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #294
BaconZombie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98205
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTi, United Grey

FF Reputation: 3 BaconZombie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Snorkel delete is not necessary. I did it on mine, and don't know if it even benefited me at all. Just get rid of a lot of plastic junk though.

FYI, I have one for sale in the classifieds. Could save you some money... Not even used for 10,000 miles.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #295
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
Even though I live in MA where the roads are total crap? :(

What about the snorkel?

Thanks!
I drive on total crap pavement and gravel here in the southern midwest, and I've not had any issue with the filter coming loose. If tightened properly, the MAF housing will not crack (too tight) and the filter will not come loose (too loose). Just so you know, a new MAF housing costs $6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconZombie View Post
Snorkel delete is not necessary. I did it on mine, and don't know if it even benefited me at all. Just get rid of a lot of plastic junk though.
+1
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #296
Vanquished
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Just get rid of a lot of plastic junk though.
What do you mean by this?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #297
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
The other thing you should do is widen the mounting slot so the housing sits centered. Mine contacted on the side anyway.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #298
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 48 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Snorkel delete is not necessary. I did it on mine, and don't know if it even benefited me at all.
This is correct. The snorkel delete won't play a part in an open-filter design. It only truly benefits those with the filter box and the lid-on.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 05-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #299
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
This is correct. The snorkel delete won't play a part in an open-filter design. It only truly benefits those with the filter box and the lid-on.
I disagree with that. It will help those with the K&N. The K&N heatshield design will route more fresh air to the filter if the snorkel is removed and the shroud is cut. I've experienced quicker temperature recovery of idle heat soak pulling away from a stop since removing it and cutting a slot in the shroud (according to Torque app).

The snorkel delete will not be as effective (or effective at all) with heat shields of different design, such as FSWerks, as those heat shields have no way of routing fresh air from the snorkel location. None of the open-filter designs can create vacuum to "pull" air from the snorkel location as the stock filter box does, however.
Hatch Nation #90
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #300
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 48 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
That may be true-I'm definitely not trying to discount the possibility-but have you ever pulled your headlight and closed your hood on the Typhoon to see how much is actually open around it? If you haven't, all I can say is that I was surprised.

I agree that if it does help the Typhoon that you can't get a similar benefit on other designs with the exception of the Steeda. Now I'm curious to see what data would show as a comparison...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->