2012 Ford Focus K&N Intake kit Released. - Page 14 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #131
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I have a question: what happens if I disconnect the positive battery cable instead of the negative cable ? Because in my car, the easiest to disconnect is the positive, not the negative cable. I don't know what it is in yours when you say "negative battery cable".

It is not the first time when I see people saying "disconnect the negative battery cable". In my opinion, whatever needs to be done is to disconnect a battery cable (regardless which one) to have the same result. Am I right or completly out of touch with the reality of this engine car ? (not that I don't know that I am at least 20 years behind).
Basically the circut is broken when the cable is removed from the negative terminal in a safer manner. If you disconnected the postitve battery cable only there is a risk of completing the circuit and causing a battery explosion than if you prevent the flow of electrons by disconnecting the negative terminal first.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #132
troy-knfilters
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85424
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Taurus SE (FFV) Vulcan

FF Reputation: 1 troy-knfilters Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
These warnings should be followed because this can happen....

It's not something I would like to see anyone have happen to them.

Troy.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #133
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Basically the circut is broken when the cable is removed from the negative terminal in a safer manner. If you disconnected the postitve battery cable only there is a risk of completing the circuit and causing a battery explosion than if you prevent the flow of electrons by disconnecting the negative terminal first.

THANK YOU for the info. Now, why in my car the positive battery cable is the easiest to disconnect ? I can't post a picture right now, but it is something like in the picture bellow (see the "red wire" = battery positive)

---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #134
troy-knfilters
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85424
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Taurus SE (FFV) Vulcan

FF Reputation: 1 troy-knfilters Good Standing Member
I'm not a Ford Engineer but I can speculate that having the positive terminal under a metal cowl would make jump-starting the car VERY dangerous, it's in the best interest if the positive is easiest to get to from a roadside-emergency standpoint.

Troy.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #135
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy-knfilters View Post
I'm not a Ford Engineer but I can speculate that having the positive terminal under a metal cowl would make jump-starting the car VERY dangerous, it's in the best interest if the positive is easiest to get to from a roadside-emergency standpoint.

Troy.
It might be a reason. Thank you, again !

Now, back to the thread subject: I like more and more the K&N intake. Hmmm... I have to be cautious, because I might end up buying one.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #136
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy-knfilters View Post

Troy.
And the convenient ground at the strut tower makes negative easily accessible from that standpoint.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #137
Fastlane54
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98286
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sport HB, Red Candy-203A

FF Reputation: 1 Fastlane54 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
And the convenient ground at the strut tower makes negative easily accessible from that standpoint.
With the battery cover removed:

So it is my understanding that removing the cable connection at "NEGATIVE" in the photo is disconnecting the negative from the battery. It really is a handy spot for jumps.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #138
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

I don't have my car here to check, but I would speculate that you would need to remove the actual clamp from the post to remove all negative contact from the battery. There are more than likely more wires going to the negative post than just the body ground you label there as "negative".

Indeed, it is a great spot for jumpstarts, as you're not supposed to hook ground up directly to the "low charge" battery in a jumpstart situation. Hooking negative directly to a low charge battery could induce an arc (short) between the posts if the battery is damaged. Using that body ground in the pic would reduce the chance of that happening.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #139
Fastlane54
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98286
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sport HB, Red Candy-203A

FF Reputation: 1 Fastlane54 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
... There are more than likely more wires going to the negative post than just the body ground you label there as "negative".
Would any additional wires connected to the - terminal on the battery be using it as the source of the ground for their circuits? If so, they would also be disconnected from ground when removing that negative connection in the photo.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #140
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlane54 View Post
Would any additional wires connected to the - terminal on the battery be using it as the source of the ground for their circuits? If so, they would also be disconnected from ground when removing that negative connection in the photo.
That would be true, assuming that negative connection were the only ground to the body. However, circuits may still be "complete" if they are connected to the battery negative, and may also be "grounded" by other means (other wires, circuits, etc.). Again, I can't confirm this until I'm near my car...
Hatch Nation #90

Bookmarks & Social Networks