Door seal rubbery thingy worn! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Triborough
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92479
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Triborough Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Door seal rubbery thingy worn!

Not sure the name of this rubbery part (makes it hard to search!), but here is a picture:

2012 Ford Focus door weatherstripping fail by Triborough, on Flickr

Just noticed this today on the driver's side door. I don't think it should be like that, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
Maybe it's from rubbing on it as you exit the car or enter it? I have to check mine because I rub against it often when exiting the car but have finally been catching myself from doing it and plant my right foot as I exit.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
IMO, just say it got frozen during the last cold snap in your area and when you opened the door it ripped the seal. If you are still under your bumper to bumper warranty I can't see something like that being an issue. It'll take less than 5 minutes to replace.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
Burns098356GX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94777
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Burns098356GX Good Standing Member
I cant see the dealership putting up a fight to replace that, considering its a few minutes to replace and those weather strips are bought for cents each.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
EternalOptimist
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95241
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze, SE Sport, manual

FF Reputation: 3 EternalOptimist Good Standing Member
This same thing has happened to the door seal (that's why I call it) on my driver's side door, too. Noticed it during a recent road trip when my husband did much of the driving (it's my car, so that was a change). I thought he might be rubbing against it when he got in and out of the car, but I watched him and he doesn't touch it. I take the car in for its first service visit tomorrow. We'll see what the dealer says. Glad to read that someone else has experienced the problem, too.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triborough View Post
Not sure the name of this rubbery part (makes it hard to search!), but here is a picture...Just noticed this today on the driver's side door. I don't think it should be like that, right?
Hey Triborough,

Taking the Focus to the dealer wouldn’t hurt. Once they look at the “rubbery thingy”, they’ll evaluate whether or not the warranty will cover the replacement. So give them a call, and set up an appointment when you have a chance. Keep me posted on the results, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalOptimist View Post
This same thing has happened to the door seal (that's why I call it) on my driver's side door, too...I take the car in for its first service visit tomorrow. We'll see what the dealer says. Glad to read that someone else has experienced the problem, too.
EternalOptimist,

Love you handle!

Please let me know of the dealerships findings. I’m interested in knowing what they say.

Have a great weekend!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
EternalOptimist
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95241
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze, SE Sport, manual

FF Reputation: 3 EternalOptimist Good Standing Member
The dealership said the damage to my door seal was clearly caused by the seat belt buckle getting caught in the door. Could be (my husband had been the one who last drove the car before I noticed the damage). The dealership has ordered a new seal for me, but it wasn't cheap; cost $137 just for the part. Is there anyway to keep this from happening again? I am so very careful with my car to prevent any damage, but my hubby, not so much. He is not going to remember to make sure the belt is fully retracted every time he exits the car. Interesting that this was a common problem in my Dodge Caravan; we often shut the both front doors on the the belt buckle but it never damaged the buckle or the seal. So I'm not so pleased that the door seal on the '12 Focus is so fragile that it gets torn up by this happening one time.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalOptimist View Post
The dealership said the damage to my door seal was clearly caused by the seat belt buckle getting caught in the door. Could be (my husband had been the one who last drove the car before I noticed the damage). The dealership has ordered a new seal for me, but it wasn't cheap; cost $137 just for the part. Is there anyway to keep this from happening again? I am so very careful with my car to prevent any damage, but my hubby, not so much. He is not going to remember to make sure the belt is fully retracted every time he exits the car. Interesting that this was a common problem in my Dodge Caravan; we often shut the both front doors on the the belt buckle but it never damaged the buckle or the seal. So I'm not so pleased that the door seal on the '12 Focus is so fragile that it gets torn up by this happening one time.
You didn't mention...are they making you pay for it? It seems like they are from your post but it's not quite clear.

If so, I'd be speaking in a not-quiet voice about my opinion on the matter. The parts they put in the car are so cheap that closing the door with the belt a bit too far over causes the seal to disintegrate?? Unless it's made of lightweight paper it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
EternalOptamist,

Your dealership is screwing you, they get that part for pennies and install it in 5 min. I have had my Focus for 20k miles. Did the seat belt thing a hundred times, and nothing to this sort has happened. If you already paid i honestly dont know who you would raise a complaint with, but I highly doubt this was caused by the seat belt and your dealership is just looking for a way to take your money.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
It does look like it's at the same height as your seatbelt, but if that is the case you should have chips or scratches on the inside of your door at the corresponding spot.

Bookmarks & Social Networks